DESKJOY - Simple desktop for the PCW

Started by FloppySoftware, 22:51, 08 August 14

Previous topic - Next topic

FloppySoftware

Hello PCWers!

I want to introduce to you one of my programs for the Amstrad PCW: DeskJoy.

This program uses internally the GUI (Graphical User Interface) Samaruc.

It can use a mouse (AMX, Kempston, Keymouse) or -of course- the keyboard.
It has menus, windows, dialogs, check boxes, buttons, and all these little things that make ¿easy?  :-\  our lifes in front of our computer.

DeskJoy is a simple desktop to launch your favorite CP/M programs. Once the program has ended, your will be in DeskJoy again. You can run even CCP commands too. Or basic programs...

You can define your links with an icon and some options for each program you want to run with a click of the mouse (of the keyboard, if you don't have one).

You can create new links, modify them and delete them.

It has some internal tools too (I'm planning some new ones for the future).

Of course, I have written DeskJoy with MESCC.

Some youtube videos with DeskJoy in action:

DeskJoy for the Amstrad PCW - 2 - YouTube

DeskJoy v1 for the Amstrad PCW - YouTube

DeskJoy for the Amstrad PCW - YouTube

DeskJoy for the Amstrad PCW - YouTube

Samaruc Control Panel:

Samaruc Control Panel - YouTube

You can download this thing from my website: Floppy Software

Other programs with Samaruc GUI inside are Find that mine!, The Same Game and Quijote.
floppysoftware.es < NEW URL!!!
cpm-connections.blogspot.com.es

radu14m

Looks great  ! can it run on cpc6128 too ?

FloppySoftware

Quote from: radu14m on 06:40, 09 August 14
Looks great  ! can it run on cpc6128 too ?

No, only PCWs (except PCW 16).

MacDeath

how much RAM does it use ?
Is it available on ROM ?
What peripherals does it manages ?
Any compatible softwares/apps too ?

In what way is it better than SymbOS or FutureOS ?

well, looks better than FutureOS I guess... :laugh:
But is this as fast and does it covers as many peripherals ? ;)

Really looks like a MACinTouch anyway... just 10x cheaper... :laugh:

radu14m

Gryzor

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

Quote from: radu14m on 07:39, 21 September 14
what is needed to run on cpc6128 ?

Adapt the screen output. Else it seems to work with CP/M, so a port shouldn't be too hard. But we got Geno for CPC CP/M already.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

radu14m

Quote from: TFM on 18:12, 22 September 14

Adapt the screen output. Else it seems to work with CP/M, so a port shouldn't be too hard. But we got Geno for CPC CP/M already.

this was also my thought  ::)

Prodatron

Quote from: TFM on 18:12, 22 September 14

Adapt the screen output. Else it seems to work with CP/M, so a port shouldn't be too hard

Depends... If it uses the memory banking capabilities of the PCW or if it moves the screen ram completely into the secondary 64K bank, then you could have a problem with a CPC version.
Would be interesting to know some details about the internals, maybe Floppysoftware can talk a little bit about it? (how it handles the screen, Ram, etc.)

CU,
Prodatron

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

FloppySoftware

Hi everybody!

DeskJoy it is a simple launcher for CP/M programs, that uses the GUI Samaruc.

It uses standard CP/M BDOS & BIOS functions to do all its job.

Only two areas are PCW specific:

+ Mouse control.
+ Screen control.

The mouse control can be easily adapted.

The screen control uses the PCW standard way: SCRRUN BIOS function and a CP/M RSX on top of DeskJoy.

It has been mainly written in MESCC (Small C) and there is some Z80 assembler code too (mainly the RSX).

My intention is to release the source code under the GPL license.

But it would be useless now, because I should release first the source code for Samaruc.

Well... some day, when I clean the Samaruc code!

radu14m

just tried without luck on my cpc6128.
i get an error message" BAD LOAD"

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

CraigsBar

I have just managed to get the best excellent ummo to run on my pcw 9512+. Next job is this one.

Oh btw it would be much easier if CPCdiskXP supported doublestep on write as well as read. Once I worked out the issue SAMdsk works a treat.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Ace

Tried it today, but had no luck with mouse movement, in CP/M Box. Had no trouble with CP/M Box 1.6.2b, Symbos 2.1 and AMX Mouse, but Deskjoy just won't work! I have an 8512 configured with CP/M plus and AMX Mouse in CP/M Box. Any ideas?

FloppySoftware

You have to configure Samaruc for that.

Just run DeskJoy and enter to the Samaruc option by pressing S on the keyboard, then enter to the Mouse option and select AMX.

If DeskJoy has not available the Control Panel (I am not sure now), just run the program CTLPANEL.COM.

It's the same, but as a standalone program.

If you have no success, I could have a look to it tonight.

BTW, DeskJoy and any other Samaruc program is usable with the keyboard, no mouse is needed (but could be a plus). Just read the instructions on disk. :)

Ace

Thanks for the reply FloppySoftware and for your great efforts!
Well, did that, thank you! Control Panel was available and managed to select AMX mouse, inside Deskjoy, but still the movement was quite slow and erratic, doing zigzags despite that I was moving the mouse at straight lines. Tried with both CP/M Box 1.6.2b and 1.7.0 (alpha?)
Didn't manage to select Kempston though, because whenever I press K, the selection jumps to Clock, despite that the previous selection was eg AMX!

FloppySoftware

Quote from: Ace on 22:14, 06 July 16
Control Panel was available and managed to select AMX mouse, inside Deskjoy, but still the movement was quite slow and erratic, doing zigzags despite that I was moving the mouse at straight lines.
Yes, I know... the mouse drivers are not so good...  :'(
Quote from: Ace on 22:14, 06 July 16
Didn't manage to select Kempston though, because whenever I press K, the selection jumps to Clock, despite that the previous selection was eg AMX!
Ooops! A bug!  :doh:  I'll try to solve it asap (just a key change, I suposse).