Finally got a PCW 8256 suspect the floppy needs a drive belt

Started by dcdrac, 18:54, 28 January 14

Previous topic - Next topic

dcdrac

The old old story, actually surprised it came on at all lol

MaV

Congratulations!

If the screen lights up and nothing happens for a few minutes followed by a couple of beeps from the inside, the PCW works, and you just need to replace the drive belt. Unfortunately the system shows nothing until it boots up from a disk. :/

Tip: place the PCW with the screen on a pillow to open the case. The screws for the monitor case and the floppy cage inside are very long and can be handled more easily when working in that position.

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

Bryce

Woah, serious retro fans take their computers to bed with them? :D

Bryce.

dcdrac

Will my HxC floppy emulator work with a PCW?

And I have read you can install a 3/1 inch drive in a PCW too

Bryce

Yes, any computer with a standard floppy controller can use a HxC (as long as the image format is supported).

Bryce.

TFM

And the HxC can also emulate 3.5" formats of course. I like it slowly more and more, even if I really like physical discs.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MaV

@Bryce: Well, some of them need special care. ;)

The HxC-Floppy will definitely work, the necessary change to the cable is the same as for the CPC.
Unfortunately, the LCD doesn't fit without modding the case. :( I'm open to any suggestions how to add an LCD and not mod the plastic case.

dcdrac

I have modded cables so just plug it on like I would my CPs and Plus?

Bryce

Quote from: MaV on 23:29, 28 January 14
@Bryce: Well, some of them need special care. ;)

The HxC-Floppy will definitely work, the necessary change to the cable is the same as for the CPC.
Unfortunately, the LCD doesn't fit without modding the case. :( I'm open to any suggestions how to add an LCD and not mod the plastic case.

The RevF version of the HxC uses a tiny LCD instead of the standard one. If you can get your hands on one of these, it may be easier to integrate into the computer than a full sized LCD? http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=120

Bryce.

MaV

Quote from: dcdrac on 00:31, 29 January 14I have modded cables so just plug it on like I would my CPs and Plus?
Yep. The drive and connectors of the PCW and CPC (+) are identical. You can use a PCW drive in a CPC and likewise.

MaV

Quote from: Bryce on 09:36, 29 January 14
The RevF version of the HxC uses a tiny LCD instead of the standard one. If you can get your hands on one of these, it may be easier to integrate into the computer than a full sized LCD? http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=120
Thanks for the tip. I was considering using a smaller LCD and placing it horizontally in front of the drive bay. The only remaining issue is how to fasten it. A miniature TV arm with the LCD mounted on it would look nifty. ;)

Bryce

Modify a blank floppy panel and mount it in that? This is the type used on the RevF, you can get the dimensions from the datasheet here: http://www.mdfly.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=201

Bryce.

MaV

Hm, the datasheet says its width is 47mm (that small?). What is the height of the 3" floppy drive again (can't measure ATM)?

TFM

However you can't use the DSDD 80 Trk drive of the Joyce with the CPC, there seem to be some hardware differences which create problems. Well, that's what a buddy told me once, but never tried it by myself.

A 3" 80 Trk. DSDD drive would be like a 3.5" drive, running with Vortex format f.e.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus