DK'Tronics Joystick/Sound Controller for the PCW - Y-cable possible?

Started by sucram, 20:50, 09 March 15

Previous topic - Next topic

sucram

Hi everyone,

I'm the owner of a PCW with DK'Tronics interface. Is it possible to use two joysticks with the controller  via a CPC Joystick Y-cable?

If it is possible, how can the second joystick be addressed with Mallard Basic or Turbo Pascal for example?

Habi

It's that an original DK'tronics interface? If it is, we would like very much some scans of it for the PCW Wiki, as we are trying to document everything PCW related.

Personally, I would like to see its insides; I've make a clone for it (http://pcwwiki.amstrad.es/doku.php?id=en:hardware:perifericos:dksound), but never seen the original one.

And answering your question... no, it's not possible.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Habi on 23:12, 17 March 15
It's that an original DK'tronics interface? If it is, we would like very much some scans of it for the PCW Wiki, as we are trying to document everything PCW related.

Personally, I would like to see its insides; I've make a clone for it (http://pcwwiki.amstrad.es/doku.php?id=en:hardware:perifericos:dksound), but never seen the original one.

off topic alert! Does anyone have any plans of making a batch of these clones. I'd love sound and joystick on my pcw, but missed the boat here.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TFM

Quote from: Habi on 23:12, 17 March 15

Hi! One could alter the original interface to have a port like on CPC, this would enable the usage of two joysticks, right?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

sucram

Hello Habi,

first of all I would like to compliment you for the great emulator and also the DK'Tronics clones, very great job!

As Appendix I add the scanned documentation and some photos of the interface.

Best Regards,
Marcus

sucram

roy bates

the answer is simply no,ive looked at the schematics its not possible to have two joysticks on the interface.

hope that helps.

Habi

Quote from: CraigsBar on 10:38, 18 March 15off topic alert! Does anyone have any plans of making a batch of these clones. I'd love sound and joystick on my pcw, but missed the boat here.

There has been recently a new batch of them, organized by users of the Amstrad.es forum (in Spanish, sorry), but some people has been left out, so maybe they will made another batch. Stay tuned. ;)

Pertinent messages are from http://www.amstrad.es/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2591&start=45#p51783. Right now, they are trying to make boxes with a 3D printer: http://www.amstrad.es/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=3847.

Quote from: TFM on 19:23, 18 March 15Hi! One could alter the original interface to have a port like on CPC, this would enable the usage of two joysticks, right?

The alterations are not obvious. I think there are three possibilities:

• Using the extra port (B) of the 8910 (not in the original, which uses a 8912). In this case we have an extra 8 bit port which, programmed as output, can enable directly those signals.
  • Using the port A for input and output. We can protect the interface from shorts on the joystick side using some diodes, and use the unused bits with a latch.
  • Taking advantage of the existing decoding (or making a parallel one). A latch can be hooked on a not used port address.
Quote from: sucram on 09:39, 20 March 15Hello Habi,

first of all I would like to compliment you for the great emulator and also the DK'Tronics clones, very great job!

As Appendix I add the scanned documentation and some photos of the interface.

Best Regards,
Marcus

Thank you very much! This is the first time I've seen one.

Unfortunately, there is a shadow on the top of the PCB, I cannot see the two ICs up there. Can you please make another shot of it? :)

Also, do you have the original disk that come with it? It's also not preserved.

Finally, reading the manual I've noticed that it puts +5V on the second fire button of a CPC joystick, so I advise not to use them on the original interface. In my clone, I have put +5V on pin 5 (button 3, normally not connected, on a CPC joystick; power on a MSX. I also putput a resistor to prevent shorts) and also made 9 ground.

Thank you again for everything!

TFM

IMHO the solution with the least changes to the original is probably the best, so compatibility is given.

Another idea... the original only seems to have one fire button and some spare signals. Are thery really not connected or only not described? Can we have Fire 2.... just thinking... sorry.  ;) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

sucram

QuoteThank you very much! This is the first time I've seen one.

Unfortunately, there is a shadow on the top of the PCB, I cannot see the two ICs up there. Can you please make another shot of it? :)

Also, do you have the original disk that come with it? It's also not preserved.

Finally, reading the manual I've noticed that it puts +5V on the second fire button of a CPC joystick, so I advise not to use them on the original interface. In my clone, I have put +5V on pin 5 (button 3, normally not connected, on a CPC joystick; power on a MSX. I also putput a resistor to prevent shorts) and also made 9 ground.

Thank you again for everything!

That doesn't matter. In the following photo, the chips are easier to see.
I 've also the original disk with the demo-software and the program defjoy.com. But there is a problem, the software is on a 3" disk and also on a 5,25" disk. Currently I don't have a 5,25" disk drive for the PC, please be patient.

sucram

I have one more question related to the interface:

I have detected the software Arkos Tracker and Player for AYC files and Arkos BIN files in the Spanish forum.

Unfortunately I can't play the BIN files generated with the Arkos Tracker, e.g. solar.dsk
The files provided with the players can be played.

What am I doing wrong?

Habi

Quote from: sucram on 19:13, 20 March 15That doesn't matter. In the following photo, the chips are easier to see.

Thanks!!!

Quote from: sucram on 19:13, 20 March 15I 've also the original disk with the demo-software and the program defjoy.com. But there is a problem, the software is on a 3" disk and also on a 5,25" disk. Currently I don't have a 5,25" disk drive for the PC, please be patient.

Just knowing you have it makes me happy. :D

Take your time...

Quote from: sucram on 20:36, 20 March 15I have detected the software Arkos Tracker and Player for AYC files and Arkos BIN files in the Spanish forum.

Those BINs in Musicas.dsk and Musicas2.dsk aren't Arkos files. Use the YM or YM2 program included in the same disk image to reproduce them. I know because I made them.  ;D

sucram

QuoteThose BINs in Musicas.dsk and Musicas2.dsk aren't Arkos files. Use the YM or YM2 program included in the same disk image to reproduce them. I know because I made them.  ;D

That's good!  :D
When I play the music, how can I stop it?
How can I create files that can be played on YM or YM2?

Habi

Quote from: sucram on 21:07, 20 March 15When I play the music, how can I stop it?

Uhm... you don't. But the source code is included, if you want to make that option.  :)

Quote from: sucram on 21:07, 20 March 15How can I create files that can be played on YM or YM2?

In this post I uploaded the sources and binary for YM packer: http://www.amstrad.es/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2591&start=15#p38914. And in this other the same for YM2: http://www.amstrad.es/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2591&start=30#p38920.

sucram

QuoteIn this post I uploaded the sources and binary for YM packer: http://www.amstrad.es/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2591&start=15#p38914. And in this other the same for YM2: http://www.amstrad.es/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2591&start=30#p38920.

Many Thanks!
I' afraid the file YM.rar is defective. I've download it several times, but I can't decompress it.

Habi

What a pity, I haven't that source files anymore because YM2 is just the next version of YM.

If I recall correctly the format was nearly the same, I just added another way to codify information to the previous ones.

But if you are interested, just compare the included player sources, it is a very simple format to figure it out. :)

Gryzor

sucram

As attachment you will find the original dk'tronics software.  :D

Habi

Thanks! Now it can be preserved properly.  :)

Nice rendition of Scarborough Fair in the BASIC program, by the way.