News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

EMR & MIDI re PCW

Started by GeoffB17, 19:19, 18 February 23

Previous topic - Next topic

GeoffB17

I see the mention on the thread re Lightning BASIC from @LTN

Want to start a new thread!

I've been into electronic music and MIDI for a LONG time - I have a mag xerox from LONG ago which is a piece about the EMR system, this might primarily have been about a C64 computer, but something back then referred to Amstrad machines, I think CPC, but also PCW.

I don't know what was available back then, but clearly something was.   I think there was an interface for Amstrad, but the PCW?  Anyway, my PCW's interface is occupied with the more important uIDE system, but maybe it could take a midi interface as well?  I've got a possible circuit diagram!

My big problem with MIDI though - much as I like the sounds, I cannot actually PLAY anything.

I can enjoy playing midi files, and playing WITH midi files, incl manipulating the data.  So there are things that I could do with the PCW alongside my main systems?

I sit now in front of my main PC, which is a (seemingly) trusty XP computer which uses SynthFont to play with midi files, driving a VST system using 'Timbres of Heaven' SF2.   For more vintage sounds, I've got an old Pentium 1 computer alongside, this still has 16 bit ISA slots so this machine has my Roland LAPC-I card active, the card is a synth in it's own right, but this also connects via midi to a Yamaha MU90r and a Korg NS5r, I have a couple of other devices that could be connected but no space for everything just now.  The audio outputs of all this, as well as the XP computer, connect thru a Keyboard mixer for my listening pleasure.

I'm wondering if the PCW could be left to get on with manipulating midi data, creating midi files and such like, which could then be easily transferred to the main system for actual playing?  The PCW could get on with things it it's own Sloan's Teddy fashion.

I'd therefore be interested to see what can be done with the EMR software, and not too bothered with the situation re any interface.   Hoping that something can be done with SMF (Standard Midi Files).  Otherwise I'd have to write something myself - or at least add this to my 'To-Do List'.  It's a LONG list already!!

Geoff

GeoffB17

Thanks very much.

I think I remember seeing these a LONG time ago.  I may have some photocopies somewhere, but I was looking in my 'filing system' earlier and I couldn't find anything axcept an even earlier article that was even more DIY and was relating to the Vic-20!!

The DHCP system looked more interesting, but I didn't see any mention re SMF, and given my musical 'talents'  I really need the SMF help.

Thanks.

I've already done something on the PC myself, re playing midi files, but it's far from complete regarding my original plans, but it DOES play midi files!

Geoff

GUNHED

http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)