News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Gotek in a PC2086.

Started by chinnyhill10, 21:55, 07 April 16

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Got a Gotek for my PC2086. Internet suggests the built in disk controller supports 1.4mb. Joy!

However, it appears Amstrad soldered the floppy cable to the motherboard so I can't put a cable in with a twist, as required for 1.44mb.

No problem, another site said you can set a jumper and enable 1.44mb via the existing cable. Except I can't find the jumper!

Anyone know where the jumper is located or if it even exists?

Thanks.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

SRS

chinnyhill10

Quote from: SRS on 22:27, 07 April 16
according to this : Retro Isle - Amstrad PC Technical Section it ain't possible.

Which contradicts John Elliott's page which reads:

"[size=78%]The PC2086 floppy hardware is similar to the PC20/PC200 (including the external drive socket), but its controller also supports high-density floppy drives. It's quite simple to set up a 1.4Mb drive B:; a 1.4Mb drive A: would be possible using a 1.4Mb drive with selection jumpers.[/size]Drive types are set using the DEVICE utility, in a similar way to the PC3086 (see below)"

So am now confused!
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

MaV

Well, according to 2) from SRS' link to John Elliott's page, the disk data separators on the 1512/1640 and 2086 are too slow to handle high density disks. Time to open the box and find the disk data separator, then check the data sheet.
If what he says is true and the chip is too slow for HD disks, then you can't.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

chinnyhill10

Quote from: MaV on 10:17, 08 April 16
Well, according to 2) from SRS' link to John Elliott's page, the disk data separators on the 1512/1640 and 2086 are too slow to handle high density disks. Time to open the box and find the disk data separator, then check the data sheet.
If what he says is true and the chip is too slow for HD disks, then you can't.

Bah! So basically he has contradictory information on his website.

Oh well
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

MaV

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 10:43, 08 April 16Bah! So basically he has contradictory information on his website.
To err is human.

But as I suggested, when you open the PC 2086 and check the chips around the floppy controller, you'll likely find the disk data separator (check the inscriptions on the chip packages with google), and from the data sheet we can determine which of what he said is true.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."