PCW 8512 Turbo Pascal 3.01a Config

Started by Caterman, 22:43, 01 November 19

Previous topic - Next topic

Caterman

Hi
I have Turbo Pascal 3 in a dsk package but it is not configured for the PCW 8512 screen.
Can anyone advise on customising for PCW in TINST none of the standard config files seem to work properly?
Or has anyone a Turbo Pascal Patched for PCW8000?
Thanks

GeoffB17

I would have expected that the docs, or something within the system on the .DSK file, would indicate the structure of the config file, and allow for manual creation of a suitable setup.

If not, then the next step is to look in the current config file and work them out.   The screen codes for other standard systems are often recognisable, which would allow the existing setup to be determined.

Then track the existing codes, and location within the file, and manually edit the file with the PCW (i.e. Heath or Zenith) codes.   Fiddly, but not difficult.

I'll start by finding the .DSK you refer to for TP 3.01a, and see that I can do?

Oh, I would expect that the system for TP 3.01a would be similar to other TP variants for CP/M, and prob also Turbo whatever as well.

Geoff

GeoffB17

I've found a .ZIP file for TP 1.03, but this includes the actual files, not a .DSK, but I can put this to my PCW or to my Joyce emulator.

Looking at the actual files, I see that there are no existing config files.   There is data in TINST.DTA for a number of possible setups, but none of these are completely correct, although the codes for the 'Morrow' seem to be close.   The file TINST.MSG has a list of the codes required, which I assume are in the correct order, but I'd need to check that.   Also need to see if TINST.COM includes an option to create a new definition rather than amend an existing one.

Also, looking in TURBO.COM I see that this file includes data for the configured installation, in the area near the top of the file bytes &H53 to &HCF.   Each actual item comprises a byte count, followed by bytes of data.   Looks like if the count is zero, then that command is not supported, and all the available definitions show a number of such zero settings, so I'd assume there is a minimum functional set, and a maximum possible set (maybe rarely achieved ?).   The file I've got is preset for the Microbee VDU.

Geoff

Caterman

Getting there now. Hopefully this may be of help to other Turbo Pascal prospective users!
For an Amstrad PCW 8--- Turbo Pascal Terminal Installation I would recommend the following:-

using TINST.COM
Select 26 - Zenith - (this seems to be the closest and last one you try ;D
Say Y to modify installation and make sure the fields are as below:-

Send an initialisation string to the terminal - Just hit RETURN
Send a reset string to the terminal - Just hit RETURN
CURSOR LEAD-IN command <ESC> Y (27 89) Just hit RETURN
CURSOR POSITION COMMAND to send between line and column - Just hit RETURN
CURSOR POSITION COMMAND to send after line and column - Just hit RETURN
Column first = N
Offset to add line = 32
Offset to add column = 32
Binary Address = Y
Clear Screen command = <ESC> E (27 69)
Does clear screen also home cursor = Y
Delete line command = <ESC> M (27 77)
Insert line command = <ESC> L (27 76)
Erase to End of Line = <ESC> K (27 75)
Start Highlight = change to nothing by pressing -
Number of Rows = change to 32
Number of Columns = change to 90
Delay after cursor address = 0ms
Delay after clear delete = 0ms
Delay after erase = 0ms

tjohnson

Are you able to load a complete compatible dsk image?

Caterman

This is my first post so hope this works.
I have also adjusted the commands to include cursor movement utilising the arrow key!
Please let me know if it works OK