News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

PCW 9256 Boot disks

Started by squelch41, 12:19, 03 March 24

Previous topic - Next topic

squelch41

Hi,
I'm trying to find disk images for CP/M (and ideally locoscript) for the 9256.
I can't find them anywhere though! Lots of images for 8256/8512 and 9512 but not the 9256.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks!

squelch41

(I am right in thinking the 9256 wont boot with 9512+ disk images?)

Richard_Lloyd

Richard
CPC464, CPC6128, PCW8512, PCW10, BSA & NSP

squelch41

Quote from: Richard_Lloyd on 14:02, 03 March 24https://www.habisoft.com/pcwwiki/doku.php?id=en:start

Go to Software/System

The best website for PCWs.
yeah, looked there. Have 9512+ but not 9256
(And the 9512+ link is dead too)

Richard_Lloyd

Message @jevicac 

He runs that website and is very helpful

Cheers, Richard.
Richard
CPC464, CPC6128, PCW8512, PCW10, BSA & NSP

GeoffB17

Hello,

I'm pretty sure I have some 9256 images somewhere, but I'll need to dig a little.   CP/M is more likely, but maybe Loco as well.   I think the 9256 was supplied with Loco 3?

I think there were images on the PCW Wiki site.

Both the 9256 and the 9512+ use the 3.5" disks, not the 3" ones, although this should not make a lot of difference re the image file.   If you've got the right hardware, you could write the image to the disk OK, I believe that I could use my PCW 8xxx with a 3.5" B: drive to write an image except that many of the images that I've seen are 'Extended' types which I cannot do.

So, I'll see what images I've got and check if they're extended.   There is other (WinDoze ?) software that may work, and see how you might go from there.

Geoff

GeoffB17

Hello,

I'm sure that the Habi site mentioned used to have image files linked to tje disk (label) images, but this seems no longer the case.   I don't think this changed THAT long ago.   Copyright issue?   Just in case someone made a fuss?

I've checked my drives, and I do have an image file for CP/M for the 9256, although it IS an 'enhanced' variant.  I guess it's just me, but I do feel irritated with images that are made as 'enhanced' when they do not need to be.   However, I do understand that some of the systems that make the images make them as enhanced regardless, no option.  Just extra, pointless, complexity.

The image I have was made with the SAM system (for XP) and I think you can use an XP machine with a 3.5" drive to write the image, but you need to install an extra piece of software to enable XP access to the FDC.

As far as I can tell, I do not have an image for LocoScript.

The 9256 and the 9512+ are very similar system-wise, BUT the former comes with a matrix printer and the latter with a dw printer, and some things may be preset accordingly.  Printing aside you might get away with either disk/image.  Loco might have more problems than CP/M?

Geoff

JohnElliott

The 9256 was supplied with LocoScript 1.50. I remember there were some comments in the PCW magazines at the time wondering why Amstrad hadn't supplied LocoScript 2 like they'd been doing with the 9512 for the past four years, but I expect it worked out cheaper.

squelch41

Found some images of the 9256 discs.
Yes, was locoscript 1, I think as locoscript 2+ really needed 512k min

JTN

Quote from: squelch41 on 23:37, 05 March 24I think as locoscript 2+ really needed 512k min
Nah, LocoScript 2 was entirely comfortable in 256kbyte. It was LocoScript 3+ that weren't supported in 256kbyte. (Experimentally, neither 3 nor 4 outright refuses to boot, but it was definitely not recommended at the time, and I can see that the new features wouldn't really be usable -- v4.10 has only a 20kbyte M drive on an emulated 8256.)

squelch41

Quote from: JTN on 21:42, 26 March 24
Quote from: squelch41 on 23:37, 05 March 24I think as locoscript 2+ really needed 512k min
Nah, LocoScript 2 was entirely comfortable in 256kbyte. It was LocoScript 3+ that weren't supported in 256kbyte. (Experimentally, neither 3 nor 4 outright refuses to boot, but it was definitely not recommended at the time, and I can see that the new features wouldn't really be usable -- v4.10 has only a 20kbyte M drive on an emulated 8256.)
wonder why they went with 1 over 2?
Maybe just mean ;)