News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

PCW Wiki

Started by greatwolf1283, 19:50, 28 January 16

Previous topic - Next topic

greatwolf1283

Just thought as I've been spending some time preserving the disks that came with my Dad's old PCW figured I might offer up something for the Wiki.  With that in mind, I've attached DSK images of the system disks for CPM+ 1.1 and LocoScript 1.0, along with pictures of the disks to go with them.  I believe these were the original versions that came with the PCW when it was released here in the UK, and these are the original disks that came with the system when it was originally bought.  The disks themselves have been dumped using my Kryoflux board with a fully refurbished 3" drive (which is not the drive that came with the machine).  I've tested all of the images in CPMBox, and all boot fine and read well.  There didn't appear to be any bad sectors, which is probably something to do with the fact my dad followed the instructions and used backups instead!

Anyways, as long as it's OK, I'll carry on posting the various system and application disks that I've been preserving, and I'll only be posting ones I've dumped myself.  I'll also hopefully be adding details of any peripheral hardware I come across, and attempt to reverse engineer them to get schematics and the like prepared so people can use the information to repair if neccesary.

FloppySoftware

Thank you very much!  :-*
floppysoftware.es < NEW URL!!!
cpm-connections.blogspot.com.es

robcfg

Thank you very much!

I'll be transferring your dumps to our PCW Wiki if you don't mind.

Cheers,
Rob

greatwolf1283

Yep, that's what I was hoping you'd do.  Not much knowledge of editing Wikis myself, but feel free to upload it there to preserve it for the future.  I probably even see if the SPS is interested in the raw stream data of the disks.

Anyways, another set of system disks for the 8000 series.  Basically, the initial release of LocoScript was found to contain a number of bugs, and as a result, version 1.1 and then 1.2 were hastily rushed out to correct these errors.  As a part of this, people who had previously purchased a PCW were able to get a free upgrade to the new version.  This was then the version that was shipped with later 8256/8512 machines.   This finally allowed me to understand why my Dad seemingly had two sets of identical system disks!

robcfg

Thank you very much!

With every new bit of data it is clearer that the PCW was more than a word processor.

Cheers,
Rob

GeoffB17

Yes, mine was probably the same.

I got my PCW within a day or so of the machine being available at our local Dixon's, I think I'd been calling them by phone for a few days beforehand to 'reserve' one of their first batch.

I'm pretty sure I quickly found some problems with Locoscript, I don't think I had any initial trouble with CP/M.   I wrote to Amstrad, got a rapid reply, and (at once, or soon ?) a new set of system disks.   I may still have my letter, and their reply, filed somewhere?   Maybe I'll have a note of just what the problems were.   Certainly the 'master' disks I still have are the same as your second set (CP/M 1.4), but I'm sure I had earlier versions - I must have 're-cycled' the disks once I had the later ones).

I've created boot disks for my system with CP/M 1.4, but I have trouble with that working with the 5.25" A:.   I found through the internet (a Spanish site ?) a copy of the system disks incl CP/M 1.1, and I mainly use that, as with John Elliott's guidance/info I was able to 'tweak' version 1.1 so that it will cope with the 'wierd' A: disks.  When I tried to do a similar 'tweak' for 1.4 (with a different disk 'suitable' test) I was not able to get it to work, whereas the change for 1.1 DID/DOES!!

Geoff

GeoffB17

Further to the above, I've had a dig in my filing system.

My letter to Amstrad was dated the 4th October 1985, and refers to having had the PCW 'since Saturday', so that's less than 7 days.   Everything fine except...

I'd just typed a two page letter, and had pressed Enter so I'd started a new line, which in turn became a new page.   I'd not typed anything on the new line/page.  At that point, I'd proceeded to save/print the document, which had saved, then started to print, then the whole system had locked up.

I restarted the machine, my document was saved OK, I then printed it ok, so nothing major.   My letter to Amstrad was more of an 'advice' that there seemed to be a problem, not a 'complaint'.

I got a reply back from then dated the 14th, suggesting that they'd need more detail to take things much further, but they sent me a new copy of LS anyway.   Not sure what version that was.

Later, I got another letter from them, dated the 4th Feb 1986, referring to enclosed new disks 'to solve problems that I'd been having', although I don't think I'd written to them again since my letter in October.
This second letter seems to be more mass-produced than the earlier one, looks like it was sent to everyone who'd reported any problem earlier?

Between the two updates, the problem with the non-page seemed to have gone away.   The later update may well have been the CP/M 1.4/Loco 1.2 set.

I think I'd had CP/M 1.1 and 1.2 previously, and according to my writing on my 'working' LS disk, I'd had LS 1.04 and 1.2 (maybe the 1.04 had been the first 'fix' disk I got?

Geoff

GeoffB17

Further again...

Just found some more old letters, still filed on disk images within Joyce...

Firstly, yes, the first 'fix' disk I got was 1.04 of LS, so I assume my original one was 1.0, then quickly upgraded to 1.04.

Secondly, I found a letter I sent to Amstrad in Jan 1986 referring to some press announcement regarding the software upgrade for the PCW - this required you to send in your old disks to receive the new ones.   I assume that I did this, and hence got the later set.   As someone here still has the old set.... I wonder what happened there.   Maybe if you'd written in regarding problems, you got them anyway?

By the way, regarding the note from 'robcfg', I would note that even back then I was writing that my use of the PCW was less than 40% for word processing, the rest was all general computing with BASIC programming, data things of various sorts, doing things with PD software, investigating CP/M, etc, etc.   So, NEVER _JUST_ a word processor for me!!

Geoff

FloppySoftware

Quote from: robcfg on 20:20, 30 January 16With every new bit of data it is clearer that the PCW was more than a word processor.

Oh yeaaaaah, mine for sure!!!  ;) 8) :laugh:

FloppySoftware

Quote from: GeoffB17 on 00:58, 31 January 16
By the way, regarding the note from 'robcfg', I would note that even back then I was writing that my use of the PCW was less than 40% for word processing, the rest was all general computing with BASIC programming, data things of various sorts, doing things with PD software, investigating CP/M, etc, etc.   So, NEVER _JUST_ a word processor for me!!

Unfortunately, it was not easy to find good (or even bad  :laugh: ) software for our PCWs in Spain.

Only a couple of companies were importing software from UK, and native software were mainly games and accounting programs.

Of course, prices were too high.

In that circumstances, my best option was to buy a couple of CP/M books (not so easy to find them) and start doing programs for it.

Very good times: basic, 8080 and Z80 assembler, Logo, C, even Forth, were my languages back in the day.

Of course, I wrote some documents for the school in LocoScript, and made good use of SuperCalc 2 and other database and accounting programs, but programming was my main work on the PCW.

jevicac

Hi, You could help us complete the list of PCWWiki http://www.pcwwiki.amstrad.es/doku.php?id=es:start

- Academy Tau Ceti II (CRL Software)
- Acheton (Topologika)
- Am-Stram-Dames (Cobra Soft)
- Arnhem (Cases Computer Simulations Ltd)
- Arsene - Avon (Topologika)
- Booby Bearing (EDGE)
- Bridge Player 2000 (CP Software)
- Bridge Player Galactica (CP Software)
- Bridge Player Galactica 2150 ( CP Software)
- Bridge Player III (CP Software)
- Carrier Command (Rainbird)
- Castle Blackstar (CDS Software Ltd)
- Championsship 500cc (OMK)
- Chichen Itza (Aventuras AD)
- Cinco en rayas (Zelig)
- Classic Games 4 (CP Software)
- Countdown to Doom (Topologika)
- Cubik Road (OMK)
- Cyberbig (Animagik)
- Double Agent & The Lost Dragon (Tartan Software)
- Double T Patience (Thurston Techniques)
- Easy Games (Tyresoft Software)
- Elektra Glide (English Software)
- F-16 Combat Pilot (Digital Integration)
- Forestland (Classic Quests)
- Giant Killer (Topologika)
- Goblin Towers (Classic Quests)
- Green (Classif Software)
- Head Coach v3 (Coda Software)
- Heroes of Karn (Interceptor Software)
- Kingdom of Hamil (Topologika)
- La Aventura Espacial (Aventuras AD)
- Monster of Murdac (Global Software)
- Myth (Magnetic Scrolls)
- Poogaboo la pulga II (Opera Soft)
- Robot Scape (Mar Entertainments)
- SAS Raid (CRL Software)
- Snatch that spy (Topologika)
- Spy Snatcher (Topologika)
- Star Byte (Mar Entertainments)
- Sun Crossword (Akom Ltd)
- Super League Soccer (DGC Software)
- Space Combat (OMK)
- Terracom (OMK)
- The Archers (Mosaic/WHS Distributors)
- The Fourth Protocol (Ariolasoft)
- The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Virgin Games)
- The Hobbit (Melbourne House)
- The Last Days of Doom (Topologika)
- The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (Level 9/Mosaic)
- The Very Big Cave Adventure (CRL Software)
- Times Crossword (Akom Ltd)
- Orphee (Loriciels)
- Sirwood (Opera Soft)
- Top Secret (Loriciels)
- Underground (System 4)
- Wonderland (Virgin Mastertronic)
- World of Soccer (Coda Software)
- Yes Prime Minister (Mosaic)
Help us to preserve

Gryzor

I guess this is going to be a complete list of game releases for the PCW?

robcfg

It's a list of software missing from the PCWWiki  ;)

If anyone has any software of the list, please contact us for dumping and scanning.

8)

greatwolf1283

I've got some more software for the wiki.  In this case it's the english version of Trivial Pursuit Genius Edition.  I've got disk images that I've tested in CPMBox that seem to work.  I've also got scans of the instructions along with an addendum that came with software.  I've also PDF'd these for ease of use of anyone that's interested.

Trivial Pursuit Genius Edition

Let me know if the link doesn't work!

jevicac

Thank You very much greatwolf1283. For PCWWiki.