News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

PPC 640 System Review

Started by chinnyhill10, 20:38, 28 January 16

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Something a bit different. Before Christmas I picked up a PPC640 and I've done a system review including a battery test!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv-RS4U33ak

Nice machine. Didn't do a teardown as the internals look terrifying and I'd never get it back together.

Embedding doesn't seem to work like usual in this sub forum so you'll have to click I'm afraid.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Gryzor

YT embedding is broken at the moment, but I thought of a solution literally five minutes ago and I'm going to try it tomorrow morning. Apologies for that!

ivarf

Another great video.Thanks! Seems like I watched it at the right time, 464 views   :D

You mentioned in the video how well the Amstrad PC line sold. I have always wondered why not more games supporters the special 16 colour mode.

2400 baud were really fast in 1986. Certainly impressive to build that in on such a cheap machine. I have never heard about the ex-Sinclair  designer. Nice one.
Interesting to see how slow the green screen updates, that's not the machine, just the screen.

Love the battery test!

You quickly showed a picture of the Z88, We had a machine like the z88 back in in 1984, the TRS80 model 100. It used a few smaller batteries and could run for more than 24 hours on one set. It had built-in word processor, database, basic, scheduler and modem. I think the modem was only 300/300. The machine was the same size as a stack of A4 paper. 32 characters on screen and 8 lines if memory serves me right. My brother and me programmed simple versions of well known music on it. I am glad to say that we still have that machine as well as the next machine that we got, our February 1985 Amstrad CPC 464.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: ivarf on 12:19, 02 February 16

Love the battery test!

Which reminds me, I need to recycle them. They are still in the machine (realised when I picked it up on Sunday night and realised it was heavier than usual).
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube