News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Printers

Started by Bill, 20:10, 26 February 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Hello, and first thank you for being let in here.

I hope I can ask a question here about printers. I have an old Amstrad printer, it is standing in my old home in Norway, and I am in California, but I got curious if I could bring it over here and make it work on the network in the house. Since the printer is half around the globe I am not sure what number it is, but I have a feeling it is an Amstrad DMP 3250, and maybe a letter or two more. Almost never used.
Is there any box of some kind to connect the serial port to, and on the other end it works with an RJ 45 cable, and that has an IP address and whatever else is needed for computers in the network to see it ?  I have tried to look for it, but I am not 100% in searching since English is my second language and people say even my writing has an accent, and this mean I do not get all the answers on google that Englishmen and Americans do.  ;)

Thanks in advance.

Bill

ComSoft6128

Is this even possible?

Cheers,

Peter

GeoffB17

A lifetime or so ago, I used to deal with PC networks.

Firstly, does the printer referred to have a serial port?   I'd have expected it to be parallel.

It certainly WAS possible to connect a printer directly to the network, and yes, there was a little box that connected between the printer and the network, although people often used an old PC instead as it could be used more cleverly, and could be used as an extra w/s if need be.   The process was more likely used for a parallel printer, but as the data in the network is serial anyway, there's no reason why a serial printer could not be used.   The Novell system was more likely to use parallel, but I also dealt with the Concurrent DOS type network and I'm sure that used serial printers.   The company behind the latter are called IMS, here in the UK, and the current level of the system is Real-32, look that up reagrding the various peripherals options.   I have some manuals for an earlier version of the system, buried in the garage somewhere (MultiUser DOS v 7) - in fact I have that system installed on an old PC and it's very useful for testing multi-user options within my software.

The main thing would be to determine if the print spooling on the network that would be used to support a remote/network printer will support a serial printer.

Geoff