News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Problem loading a FID file

Started by JonB, 16:31, 18 February 17

Previous topic - Next topic

JonB

Hi

I have assembled the first uIDE-8 device and connected it via a Z80 shim to a PCW6512. I can format the disk and I see drive activity, which means that the address decode is correctly setup and the drive is responding correctly.

The problem I have now is that the xdriver FID won't load, although it does work on the PCW9512.

I am using CP/M Plus v1.4 and according to this page it should support FIDs : http://www.seasip.info/Cpm/amsfid.html

QuoteVersions known to support FID files are 1.7H, 1.11+ and 2.9+.

Maybe I am doing something wrong?

JonB

Um, my bad. Turns out 1.11 is after 1.4 (1.4 means 1.04, not 1.40).

So. Does anyone have a late version of CP/M plus (1.11 or later)? Or a link to an image I can download?

GeoffB17

Hello Jon,

Yes, your note regarding 1.4 is correct.   It might be considered 1.04, which is a pretty old variant, long before FIDs were thought of.

You were posting pics of a version, I think 1.12, for your early tests.   Why not use that?

I have a later(?) version, 2.9, which again should work.   It's on the site already, in a thread a while back relating to Joyce and HD.   Otherwise I could send it again.   Or I think I have 1.12, but I think you have that?

Of course, the 9512 versions MIGHT have problems with the 8256, but I'd guess not.   I've used 2.9 on my 8256, and it boots fine.   Accesses my floppy disks OK.   Big question, will it like the 8256 printer.   Not checked, my printer is attached, but barely functional.

best of luck.

Geoff

JonB

One thing I do think, and that is it may not work with the CPS8256. I have 2.15 on the 9512, and it (or the hardware) doesn't like the thing.

I have disk problems anyway. So many of them don't want to work, and I found only 2 that would boot, and they are 1.4. So if you could point me to a download, I'd be right grateful (and prove the uIDE-8 works properly with the existing driver!)

Cheers
JonB

JonB

Ah ha! I found a 2.11 emt file on a non booting disk! Quick copy over and a rename to ems and we're up and running. As you can see in the other thread... :)

Thanks
JonB

GeoffB17

Jon,

2.9 system file attached

Geoff