News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

My 'game' for PCW

Started by GeoffB17, 01:26, 05 December 15

Previous topic - Next topic

GeoffB17

Anyone interested?

Sometime soon, I'll hope to post an initial version of a game I've been working on for ages.   Really AGES!

There will be a text file attached with more details, it's a space exploration/trading game based - somewhat - on the books of C.J. Cherryh.

The game does benefit from the larger screen of the PCW, so apologies to CPC users.

The present game is functional within certain parameters, but I want to get the Trading process at least doing something, so I'll upload something soon when that's done.   Maybe I need some encouragement - more likely arm-twisting?

Soon?

Geoff

CraigsBar

I'm hooked, elite without the 3d flying bits right? Could be fun... Or a path to virtual bankruptcy.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

||C|-|E||

It is always nice when there is a new game! even when (as in my case) you do not own the appropriate computer  :picard: . Anyway, I will give it a try in an emu!  :D

tezet

Sounds interesting! I must confess to have not read even one book of C.J. Cherryh yet but sounds very promising - No money? What about cold-pressed latinum or the petro-dollar??

Will try it in an emu too, always liked the trading part in elite (and hanse)!

FloppySoftware

I like to see new projects for the PCW.

And yours seems  very promising!

(Maybe a version for the CPC later?)
floppysoftware.es < NEW URL!!!
cpm-connections.blogspot.com.es

GeoffB17

Thanks for the interest.   Great.

Just to keep you on-side, and to keep me at it, I attach the system 'as-is'.   I'll try to get something more done ASAP.

Just in case it's not obvious anyway, my background revolves around business/accounting systems, and NOT games.   Hence I'm much more into data files, and NOT into graphics.

Try to find something like 'Pride of Chanur' - it's a great novel (there IS one human in it !).   It'll give a lot of hints where I'm trying to go.   Well, some of the directions!!

Please feedback??

Geoff

tezet

Hi Geoff,

just fired up your game (well, in fact, it was my first time I ever used a PCW and its emulator). Just managed to do a little planet-hopping... But some things came quickly to my mind:

- would be nice to see all possible commands on-screen
- the toggling between Z-coordinates and planet-numbers seems a little bit too complicated - Perhaps it can be displayed right after the planet number (in brackets)? To reduce the number of planets in one line you could perhaps do two maps: One global and one local with only reachable planets...
- I couldn't buy any intoxicants ;)
- Will there be any events?

It instantly reminds me of a game I used to play when I just got my cpc. Quite sure it was a type-in called "Galactic Conflict" - Its main goal was spacefight but the presentation was quite similar in mode 2 (I was baffled when I attack another ship and a line was drawn - the rest was all text). Took me ages to figure out how to play it...

Keep on - I liked it and will follow its progress!

GeoffB17

Thanks for interesting comments.

Certainly, at some time the prompt will be enhanced, and available commands should then be listed.   Exactly how, will depend on how many there are by then.

Regarding the Z co-ordinate, hopefully, a planned option will help.   There will be a (J)umps option that will list all the possible Jumps for the current system, and that will include the listing of the full co-ordinates (incl 'Z') of each system.   That may solve your problem.   I would prefer to keep the local map as it is, as it only just covers far enough in each direction now.

You wouldn't buy any intoxicants?   Not even some beer?   Well, that's OK, but if you can make some serious profit on shipping something?   These games don't usually worry about the morality of things, could be even worst delivering weapons somewhere?   One thing not mentioned so far, but there will be an indicator for the 'social' climate of a particular station, i.e. how nice/safe a place it is.   This indicator may be calculated from some of the other economic factors, and one of those factors would be the demand/supply of those intoxicants.

Events?   Do you mean like the Chance/Community Chest cards in Monopoly?   Almost certainly, YES.   But within the scope of the game (and the practicality of programming them).

Thanks again.

Geoff

TFM

Great work! Keep it going!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

The PCW is definitely drawing some interest lately...nice!

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:26, 13 December 15
The PCW is definitely drawing some interest lately...nice!

And why not? No shortage of Programming Languages to use under CP/M  :D

I'm just surprised it's being kept quiet.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Gryzor

Because I imagined they were used mainly in the secretary pool :D Not exactly the target audience for retro projects!