Raspberry Pi - Trying to claim PCW's crown!

Started by chinnyhill10, 01:59, 18 February 15

Previous topic - Next topic

chinnyhill10

Anyone see the tweets and subsequent coverage from Raspberry Pi today claiming that as they have passed 5 million sales they are now the UK's top selling computer ever?

Might come as a surprise to PCW owners since the PCW sold 8 million! Totally awful that no 'journalists' actually bothered to fact check!

Suggest PCW fans get out there and start spreading the word. Why should the PCW be forgotten just because it isn't glamorous!
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

MacDeath

Also speccy sold quite a lot, but not sure clones or different models in the same range count as different computers.

Oh, Amstrad also sold a lot of PCs... :P

FloppySoftware

Quote from: chinnyhill10 on 01:59, 18 February 15
Why should the PCW be forgotten just because it isn't glamorous!
I totally disagree with this.
My PCW is very, very, very glamorous.

8)
floppysoftware.es < NEW URL!!!
cpm-connections.blogspot.com.es

Munchausen

Anyone see the tweets and subsequent coverage from Raspberry Pi today claiming that as they have passed 5 million sales they are now the UK's top selling computer ever?

Might come as a surprise to PCW owners since the PCW sold 8 million! Totally appealing that no 'journalists' actually bothered to fact check!

Suggest PCW fans get out there and start spreading the word. Why should the PCW be forgotten just because it isn't glamorous!

I don't use twitter, but someone definitely needs to let them know this is not true!

CraigsBar

Might come as a surprise to PCW owners since the PCW sold 8 million! Totally appealing that no 'journalists' actually bothered to fact check!

surely it depends on what you count as a UK computer. If they mean the top selling computer made in the UK, they are probably correct. The pi is after all manufactured in Wales is it not, and I am pretty sure the pcw was made in Korea along with the CPC.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

chinnyhill10

Quote from: CraigsBar on 12:17, 18 February 15
surely it depends on what you count as a UK computer. If they mean the top selling computer made in the UK, they are probably correct. The pi is after all manufactured in Wales is it not, and I am pretty sure the pcw was made in Korea along with the CPC.

No. They were quoting the Spectrums 5 million (an iffy figure anyway as it always used to be quoted as 7 million until someone edited Wikipedia) and as we all know Spectrums were made all over the place. Portugal, Korea and the UK.

And where are all those components in the Pi made? UK? Nope.

They are also now claiming they are the top selling UK computer manufacturer of all time. Nice try. 12 million PC's, 8 million PCW's, 3 million CPC's and throw in some Species and you get to a conservative 25 million for Amstrad.
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

CraigsBar

OK, fairy nuff. I'll stop playing devils advocate ;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Bryce

And an Amstrad won't crash if you take a photo of it :)

Bryce.

pelrun

To be fair you wouldn't be running the Amstrad at all as a bare PCB...

Gryzor

They actually replied to me with a tweet pointing to this: Five million sold! | Raspberry Pi which essentially says that the Pi is the *fastest* selling Uk computer, not the best-selling or that the Pi foundation is the Uk's biggest computer manufacturer.

Meanwhile, they haven't corrected their own shit on their timeline, and they keep retweeting idiotic articles about the first claim.

Incidentally, good for them, of course (I've got 4 Pi's lying around in various roles) but I don't think it deserves special merit comparing yourself to things 30 years ago... The claim is a bit lacking any real importance. Can you really compare a market in its infancy with computers costing many times as much with today's market where the Pi is seen as a gadget?

Bryce

Quote from: pelrun on 04:06, 19 February 15
To be fair you wouldn't be running the Amstrad at all as a bare PCB...

You've never seen my repair desk :) There's two permanently bare CPC PCBs there for testing.
Even bare, there's nothing photo-sensitive on the CPC PCB.

Bryce.

TFM

Sorry, but a device sold as computer IMHO must have everything to work. (Like my CBS Colecovison or my CPC). The Raspberry Pi is a pure PCB without a casing. That has just a different way of "feel".  :)

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Note really, because lots of early computers came rather naked, too, and nobody doubted they were computers. But I "feel" the same with you - as I said, you just can't compare a fully fledged computer with a nice gadget.

trabitboy

Only part of them is manufactured in the UK if I recall correctly.  Mine is definitely made in China.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:35, 19 February 15
They actually replied to me with a tweet pointing to this: Five million sold! | Raspberry Pi which essentially says that the Pi is the *fastest* selling Uk computer, not the best-selling or that the Pi foundation is the Uk's biggest computer manufacturer.

Meanwhile, they haven't corrected their own shit on their timeline, and they keep retweeting idiotic articles about the first claim.

Incidentally, good for them, of course (I've got 4 Pi's lying around in various roles) but I don't think it deserves special merit comparing yourself to things 30 years ago... The claim is a bit lacking any real importance. Can you really compare a market in its infancy with computers costing many times as much with today's market where the Pi is seen as a gadget?

They've been forced to back track.

And remember the Pi costs under 30 quid. At launch the PCW cost the equivalent today of £1120. Even by 1992 the base PCW cost the equivalent of £750 today. And that's not even taking into account VAT rises,.

8 million computers at that retail price is impressive. That 5 million at 30 quid doesn't sound so impressive now does it?
--
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:29, 20 February 15
Note really, because lots of early computers came rather naked, too, and nobody doubted they were computers. But I "feel" the same with you - as I said, you just can't compare a fully fledged computer with a nice gadget.

Yes, right. And as you pointed out before the computer market was very different 30 years ago. It would be like comparing to buy a motorcycle now or in 1950 (hoo, hoo).  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus