pcw 8xxx CP/M (+?) and assembly help

Started by geebus, 15:42, 16 July 20

Previous topic - Next topic

geebus

Hi all,

I'm fairley new to the pcw range, but looking to start coding on them.
The first issue i'm having is finding out which version of cp/m to use to boot. Or should i be using something else?
Also, does anyone have a disk image, or know where I can get these so I can put them onto physical disk or onto a USB for my gotek to use.

Any pointers in where to start with coding on the pcw 8xxx series would also be great. I'm looking to code using ASM, would this be similar to coding on the CPC range with ASM?

GeoffB17

Hello,

Regarding your questions...

I can't say there's any significant different between the various versions of CP/M as far as programming is concerned, the changes tend to relate to things like printer support, use of .FID and .FIB files, little tweaks re character sets, etc.   The web pages of John Elliott set out all the known differences if you want the full story.  I have images for quite a few versions to hand, but I tend to use 1.4 as it's the old standard, then I use one of the later ones that support JonB's uIDE interface, now mainly the 1.07H system.  This version does support the .FID extensions, and so can use the uIDE drives, AND it does not have the problem many of the later versions have properly supporting the Gotek system (I don't use Gotek, but I do have a non-standard floppy disk setup and I don't want any problems there, just in case).

I've done some bits using asm, usually tweaking existing asm progs, I tend to use a higher level system such as C (Eco C or HiSoft) or the CBASIC compiler, or I play about with Forth F83 from time to time.

You were asking about getting .DSK images - of what?   Are you referring to the system boot disks?

As far as general things re coding with the PCW, if you're working with the CPCs you'd be making much more use of the ROM and hardware access, on the PCW there's none of that (although there are some 'User' routines within the system) but yes, there are some tricks you can access regarding the screen if you load special code first.   Incl via BASIC.

Oh, in another post you mentioned getting some 'new 3" disks' - what were you meaning?   You CAN still find 2nd hand 'new' disks via ebay from time to time, there's no real 'new' ones about now, I assume.

Geoff

geebus

Quote from: GeoffB17 on 19:18, 16 July 20
You were asking about getting .DSK images - of what?   Are you referring to the system boot disks?
Yeah, I've been searching for cp/m images to be able to boot the computer into it. I assume like the CPC 6128 version that it has some utilities built in etc that i'd like to use. i.e. disk formatting.
I found some auto loading games with versions of cp/m used to auto boot the games from the gotek, but no version of cp/m alone for the pcw 8xxx series.I have a feeling i'm looking in the wrong places, but google is turning up nothing for me.

Quote from: GeoffB17 on 19:18, 16 July 20As far as general things re coding with the PCW, if you're working with the CPCs you'd be making much more use of the ROM and hardware access, on the PCW there's none of that (although there are some 'User' routines within the system) but yes, there are some tricks you can access regarding the screen if you load special code first.   Incl via BASIC.
I never really thought about that. There are routines in the CPC's rom that i'd use for certain things. Can't do that with the pcw8xxx series due to no ROM right?
I suppose thats a much better way to learn ASM, if you have to know how the whole machine works. Bank switching will be an interesting chapter of that learning.

Quote from: GeoffB17 on 19:18, 16 July 20Oh, in another post you mentioned getting some 'new 3" disks' - what were you meaning?   You CAN still find 2nd hand 'new' disks via ebay from time to time, there's no real 'new' ones about now, I assume.
I am looking at re-manufacturing some disks, but not sure how viable it'd be or how much demand there'd be too.
So far i've done the really easy part of drawing up the disk case for 3d printing. Next will be to see if I can get the floppy medium from a more available (3.5") disk cut to size and usable inside said case.
I'm not holding out any hopes for it as it's not quite something a hobbiest can do in their own house. But I like to tinker.