News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Score

Started by BluesBrothers, 18:52, 17 November 16

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesBrothers

Scored a 1640PC today. Can anyone tell me anything about as never even seen one before now. Not plugged in yet as havent had time. Anything I need to know

Gryzor

Surprised nobody answered, but then again, what's there to tell? A PC, 640KB, DR GEM I think...

GeoffB17

Way back, early 90's I guess, I went through a few of these.   Initially the mono one, later the colour one.

Just a standard PC.   Only oddity was the CMoS battery on the top of the case under the monitor.  Standard AA battery(s ?).

We usually used with a 20 Mb hard card fitted, so that when we swapped the machine we just removed the card with all our personal stuff on and moved to the new machine.

I never used GEM, so I cannot comment on that.   All my use was via the DOS prompt.  DOS 3.3 I think?

Originally, the machines had a significant price advantage.   Gradually, numerous other clones whittled this away, until there were better machines, better made, for the same or less price.

Geoff

Gryzor

I think GEM was much, much better than the first versions of Windows. Up to '95 I personally preferred the CLI and my Norton Commander over anything Windows-related...