News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

SWIFT 286 PCW

Started by MacDeath, 12:10, 23 October 12

Previous topic - Next topic

MacDeath

while lurking moar on the net i found this site :

http://www.seasip.demon.co.uk

ok, it has a lot of retro content concerning Amstrad machines, Old Pc and old Graphic adapters... all the shit i like.

and while lurking even further inside the PCW section I found this :

QuoteThis advertisement is for a "Swift-286-PCW", a hybrid between a 286 PC and a PCW. Apparently only fourteen of these were ever sold, so the chances of one still existing must be pretty slim.
Though I've not seen one, I'd guess that the PCW compatible video card was a monochrome card (probably MDA or Hercules). The PCW video system has a command ('float video' - OUT 0xF8, 8) which stops the PCW video controller trying to drive the monitor. The monitor signals are present on the PCW expansion port (pin 44 for SYNC, 46 for VIDEO) so once the PCW video controller has been disabled, the PC video card can drive the monitor using them.
My thanks to David Rathbone, who owned Micro Surgeons, for information on this system.
Interesting...

So what is this ?
You simply use the PCW as a monitor for a 286 PC fit to be compatible with the monitor... which means monochrome 640x200 able display...
I guess the guys did some custom card especially to permit this, still I'm not quite sure concerning the kind of modification the PCW would need.

To be fair, a CGA with "TV-RGB" plug could perhaps do it too, of some standard VGA with "TV-screen friendly" plugs ?
the PCW monitors could perhaps even simulate a 320x200x256 monocolour video mode if it works like a CPC monocolour monitor (after all, those could be also used as Black&Green TVs...).

I think this kind of upgrade could use a modern approach and would be some ultimate retro project, ideal to have both DOS 286 softwares or Z80 PCW stuffs.

Off course it's just like having a PC and a PCW side by side, you just gain some space for keyboard and monitor.

Also having a monocolour 640x200 PC is clearly not as good as a proper VGA or even EGA...
On the other hand, PCW16 can be plugged into a VGA colour monitor (provided a few additionnal plugs soldered on the board)... so I guess to put its Motherboard inside a "vintage" PC unit with its own motherboard could do a similar trick, both sharing HDD, Floppies, printer or VGA monitor.

BTW, I found this thing fun so I posted it here in case many of you would not even be aware of its existence.

Imagine, a PC-1512-PCW.. :o
Funny part is that you could perhaps even network both computer in the process too and get some OS-Apps specific for those.

Basically, such system would just need to design a proper PCW extension box, and a few PC application-drivers.

Is "John Elliott" a CPCwikier ?

Bryce

The PCW was actually designed so that the monitor could be used for other things. All the signals you need to send data to the screen are available on the expansion port connector and the Firmware even had a command to disconnect the PCW mainboard from the screen to allow external sources. I assume the PC286 had a Hercules / MDA type graphics card, anything else wouldn't be any use on that screen.

Bryce.

MacDeath

I wasn't aware of such PCW's feature... obviously Amstrad did well on this move. :)

But as you say, the Monocolor screen/display is still a terrible sucker/stinker.

Bryce

I don't remember exactly what the command was to kill the screen output. It was an "Out" command and to turn it back on I think you had to press certain keys at the same time. I remember writing a "joke" program that killed the screen on a PCW we had at work.
The "Video" and "Sync" signals also weren't standard either, so you couldn't connect anything directly to them without some additional circuitry.

Bryce.

MacDeath

QuoteI remember writing a "joke" program that killed the screen on a PCW we had at work.
Haha, you must have been a plague to work with... :D

kidding.

Dual-Head operation on vintage PCs

Dual head old PC...
You can run both a Colour video card and a monocolour video card on those old junks.
So i guess such Pc+PCW system could even get a double screen upgrade at the same time... wow.

EGA on a side, PCW-MDA on the other side.

I learned recently that the PC1640 was a PC1512 with added EGA card on board and the old CGAmstrad PC1512's card (on board) disabled.
Perhaps some tweaks could get this run both too, the CGAmstrad then being set for the monocolour one... ::)

Totally AMSgeeky trade.

Also as the PCW and PC would be also connected through "network", the PCW can provide some interesting Memory upgrade.
"512K" of virtual RAMdisk is not something to ignore on a 286AT or 8086XT PC.
Also as the PCW can get some AY soundchip extension, it can then almost be used as a Soundcard...
Oh, and the 8mhz upgrade for PCW ?
Provided both computers are well synchronised... not sure if really possible.

While at it, as such system could get Z80, AY, 3" disk drives, EGA colour stuff... it may then even be tweaked into Amstad CPC Hard emulation.

Ok, I go a little bit too far. ::)

Bryce

The Sinclair PC-200 (the one I'm selling here: Sinclair PC-200) does the same. It has both MDA and CGA Graphics onboard, but not at the same time. You need to choose which one you want to use with a jumper. The CGA can be displayed on both the monitor or on a TV through the built-in modulator (it was the only PC ever with a built in UHF output), but MDA is only connected to the monitor output.

Bryce.

MacDeath

Yeah, sort of like the GX4000... :P

Gryzor

Lovely find. Thanks.

TotO

Nice "expansion" to transform the millions sold PCW to PC 286 for a low cost!
But, the PCW was sold as a typewriter and not a computer... So the final user in not the same.
EPIC FAIL!!!
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

MacDeath

Well, obviously the PCW could (should ?) also have been sold as a "Monochrome Monitor+Printer+3" disk drive + extra RAMdisk+ CP/M station" bundle for a PC...

With the proper networking and drivers/software apps... such battlestation could really be a sweet crossdev platform.

Sadly, can't see when it was released...

But just imagine such tool under the hands of a good 8-16 bit hacker-coder...

Sexier than the "upgrade to turn a CPC into a PC" imo...

The CPC was mostly used only as a reduced keyboard + 3" disk drive... all the rest was on the "upgrade"...

where is this page ?

Oh yeah... "PC emulator"... lol...
&#9733 AMSTRAD CPC &#9733 HARDWARE &#9733 PERIPHERIQUES AMSTRAD CPC &#9733 PC

Kersten PC Emulator - CPCWiki

Not even sure the CPC is actally used as a Video+Sound card...

Bryce

Quote from: TotO on 19:38, 23 October 12
Nice "expansion" to transform the millions sold PCW to PC 286 for a low cost!
But, the PCW was sold as a typewriter and not a computer... So the final user in not the same.
EPIC FAIL!!!

The first company I worked for used the PCW exclusively for their entire stock tracking, wages system and administration. It was/is a rather large, well known Supermarket chain. I programmed for them (stock tracking, ordering software). They gave me a PPC512 to work "on the go", without knowing that I couldn't possibly read PCW disks or data on it :D

Bryce.   

MacDeath

So such device would have been quite usefull for you at the time... ;)

You would then have to program a joke killing the monitor both for the PCW and PC at the same time... :D

TFM

On the CPC two OUT commands are enought to either blank the screen or completely crash the machine in a way that no reset will help. That's what I call efficient. :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

The Out command on the PCW doesn't simply blank the screen. It completely disables the CRTC Output so that other devices can drive those signals.

After doing a bit of searching, the PCW command to disable the CRTC is: OUT 0xF8, 8
Not sure if emulators support this?

Bryce.