WALBASIC - extension to Mallard Basic from WALDATA

Started by HigashiJun, 10:49, 10 January 20

Previous topic - Next topic

HigashiJun

Did anybody have this soft ?

I could never get my hands on it in France. I had just a "less endowed" version adding some graphical functions (which at this time were a must for my programs...). If you are interested, here's the main program and also a test program showing DRAW and PLOT functions.

Sorry, but all the article is in french...

HigashiJun

GeoffB17

Hey, this looks interesting.   I take it that this is an extension to the standard Mallard Basic supplied with the PCW, although the listed code is only a part (subset) of the full system?

I'll have to try to print the pages out, and try to ensure that there's nothing cut off the right edge, which might be a little difficult.   I'll see how it goes, and try to get it typed in etc.   I entered some code for doing 'big print' (two sizes) a long time ago and this works nicely.

The french is but a minor problem.   I can read French better than I can speak it.   My french accent is pretty terrible, never mind the Yorkshire accent!

Thanks.

Geoff

Vive l'ordinateur!!

GeoffB17

Aha, parfait.

The print has come out OK, the right edge seems to be OK.   See what happens next!

Geoff

HigashiJun

The "real" WALBASIC was a full fledged extension to the Mallard Basic, implemented through CP/M.

You did not have to call functions like in the subset (CALL DRAW, CALL PLOT, etc.) but just use DRAW, PLOT... And there was a lot off new functions added, not only 7.

Even the subset was limited, it was a real plus for creating graphics on the PCW.

I had a lot of fun with it, and it was easier for me to adapt CPC games.
HigashiJun

GeoffB17

Thanks for the note.

I've got over half the main prog entered in, just another 30 odd likes of DATA to go.   Then, I'll be able to see how it loads, etc, and prob find some errors to fix.   I can try a few little bits to test it, and then enter up all the data etc for the demo, although it's not doing anything THAT exciting.

Once I've got the prog working OK, I'll do a disassembly of the code for info, and post everything back here in case anyone else is interested.

The big print item I already have (from another Amstrad mag years ago) works the same way, i.e. loads a m/c prog into upper memory which is then called as per this prog.   Works quite well.   The assembly includes some bank swapping, and manipulation of Roller Ram I believe.

From what you say, the 'full' WALBASIC process must modify the BASIC.COM prog, as it would need to add the new commands/functions to the lookup list within the prog, and patch the new code in somehow, so that the new words would operate just like the existing words.   Maybe it could create a new repl BASIC.COM rather than have to do the patching every time?

Seems to be a more interesting implementation than the GSX stuff?

Thanks.

Geoff

HigashiJun

QuoteFrom what you say, the 'full' WALBASIC process must modify the BASIC.COM prog, as it would need to add the new commands/functions to the lookup list within the prog, and patch the new code in somehow, so that the new words would operate just like the existing words.   Maybe it could create a new repl BASIC.COM rather than have to do the patching every time?

I suppose it's the way it works, but I could never manage to get a copy of WALBASIC to check...

Let us know your findings. :)
HigashiJun

GeoffB17

The main prog is entered in, and after a few corrections (mostly mixing '8' with 'B') it works.   As far as operating CLS, PLOT and DRAW are concerned anyway.

I've not tried entering the whole demo prog, it's not really worth the effort.   I've got the initial 'A' to print, and very fine it looks!

The test prog does not use MOVE, TEST, COLOR and MASK, I'll have to try to do something with them?

Hmm, interesting.

Geoff

GeoffB17

Further to the above, I attach the files for this.   Comments please.

Brief notes in the .ZIP, else refer to the original article.

Geoff

JohnElliott

The call to USERF (0xFC5A) is followed by a word parameter - that's probably what's confusing your disassembler.

GeoffB17

Thanks John,

No, not that, something else NOW sorted.

The disassem was written AGES ago, for use on my Epson HX20 with the TF-20 disk drive.   The code was from a magazine, possible for the Dragon computer.   The Epson Basic is perfectly OK with GOTO110 (no space) and similar.   Mallard Basic is NOT happy with this, and needs the space.   I'd gone through the code and changed all these, but I'd missed a couple, and this prog just happened to need one of the lines I'd missed.

Full disassem is now done, but still on the PCW.   I'll sort it and transfer between machines tomorrow so I can upload.

Geoff

GeoffB17

News just in....

Just found that WalData are still active, in France, they still have a web site, although they now seem to be doing Stock Market systems and I guess MUCH more expensive systems.   No mention of Amstrad or PCW there!!

I've used their 'contact us' tab to send a message, to ask if WalBasic still available!   We'll see what happens.   They may just laugh?

Geoff

GeoffB17

OK, might as well get it done.   Full disassembly now attached.

HigashiJun

Well done !

I think WALDATA was doing Stock Market softwares from the very beginning...

There was a soft for CPCs called "Valeurs Plus" back in time.

https://cpcrulez.fr/applications_bureau_eco-valeur_plus.htm

As for their WALBASIC, I found these pages on the Net:

https://www.waldata.fr/mailing/040910/

https://www.waldata.fr/mailing/041008/

Seems though it's not the same programming language it used to be...
HigashiJun

HigashiJun

I've just found a new example program:

The first program is the light version WALBASIC itself (listed in a weird order I must admit) and the second one is the example, using MOVE, MASK and COLOR instructions this time.

Have fun trying it...

HigashiJun

GeoffB17

Hello again,

Great, I was trying last night to add some more bits to my version of the demo, but was struggling, for example with what sort of parameters might make MASK do anything visible on the screen.   I did get something, but not enough to be remotely  useful.   This new prog will be a massive help, and with the other options too.

What sorts of things were you doing with the code when you had it?

Oh, just for completeness for my files, could you please note the magazine this article was from, and esp the date.   The first article above was from the French version of Amstrad Magazine Nov 1987.

And yes, when they've done the paste-up job with the bits of the listing, they've got them a bit mixed up!   Pas de problem!!

Geoff

GeoffB17

Hello all,

Got the new test prog entered up, the usual little bugs/typos fixed, and it's working.

Well, rather more impressive that the earlier test prog.   Now I've got some more info on a couple of the commands it'll be a help to do a little more with that.

W-TEST2.BAS is attached.

HigashiJun

Hello,

This last article was from AM-MAG, June 1988, issue 35. (AMSTRAD MAGAZINE became AM-MAG and then MICRO-MAG until August 1990).

They had planned to do a series of articles on WALBASIC but only 2 were published, to my great disappointment.

This "simple" WALBASIC was very useful for adapting some simple CPC games on my PCW and of course, creating my own ones.

So much memories...
HigashiJun