News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

What machine to go for

Started by BluesBrothers, 03:39, 05 February 14

Previous topic - Next topic

BluesBrothers

Ok so since I kinda instigated this category being moved somewhere more prominent I guess I should damn well use it ;D.

It's been on my mind for a while to try a none CPC Amstrad but I don't know what I should get first. I don't want to be put off by making a bad choice just because it's cheap. I've had PCW games and accessories pass through here and thought I should get myself one, but which one and do I go for 3" or 3.5" drive models? Is there something which takes both?

What have other Amstrads got to offer?

arnoldemu

Quote from: BluesBrothers on 03:39, 05 February 14
Ok so since I kinda instigated this category being moved somewhere more prominent I guess I should damn well use it ;D .

It's been on my mind for a while to try a none CPC Amstrad but I don't know what I should get first. I don't want to be put off by making a bad choice just because it's cheap. I've had PCW games and accessories pass through here and thought I should get myself one, but which one and do I go for 3" or 3.5" drive models? Is there something which takes both?

What have other Amstrads got to offer?
if it's pcw, go for a 3.5" version, the pcw10?? pcw has quite a bit of software.

if it's nc, either. There is not much in the way of software for it??? plus the pcmcia ram cards are hard to find.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Bryce

The NC200 easily beats the NC100/150 due to the floppy drive and bigger screen.

On the PCW side I'd go for the 3in Version and add a 3.5in as B.

Bryce.

BluesBrothers

I erring towards the PCW as I really know nothing about the NC at all. I am also tempted by the 3" drive with a secondary 3.5 hanging off it.
What are the model no.'s of the 3" drive versions and which is best?

Bryce

It doesn't have to "hang off the side of it". If you get a PCW8512 you can install the 3.5in drive in the second bay on the monitor.

Bryce.

MaV

The 3" models are:
8512 (= 8256 but with 512k RAM and a 3" DD drive in the second bay)
9512 (b/w screen instead of green, different printer)

3 1/2 " models (haven't seen any one of them IRL yet):
9512+
PCW 10 (= 9256 but with 512k RAM)

The PCW 16 was another beast altogether.

Be sure to buy one with working system disks, as all the models feature different versions of CP/M and Locoscript, and not all versions are available on the net (yet?).

The 8256 and the 8512 were also sold in Germany as Schneider Joyce and Joyce+ respectively. Apart from the German keyboard they're the same as the Amstrads.

You can also upgrade the 256k models to 512k but the RAM chips are not easy to get anymore.

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

MaV

Undeniably a fine machine, and a good choice if he opts to obtaining a PCW 16 (Z80@16Mhz, 1MB RAM, 1MB Flash, 1,44MB HD drive, 640x480; I don't have one, so I can only print the specs).

But hardware-wise the PCW16 is not compatible to the older PCW models, it's also very hard to get hold of. That may influence his decision.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

TFM

Oh it has Roseanne, that's a multitasking OS. So it can run CP/M as a task, which brings then PcW compatibility (to some degree).

Mine lacks the mouse, I would give a kingdom for it.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus