News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

[DemoParty] Reset #20 in France.

Started by MacDeath, 23:08, 28 June 15

Previous topic - Next topic

MacDeath

This weekend the Reset #20 happened in France.

Feel free to vote for the productions produced for the event.

More infos at push&pop :
Push'n'Pop | Amstrad CPC Demoscene | ReSeT #20

here some screenshots for the graphics :

ervin

Wow - that last image is amazing!
:o

Is that from a CPC plus?
Or is it the result of some incredible raster switching?

Grim

It's a classic CPC, mid-res (mode 1) image with rasters.
If you're curious, you will find the main raster-layout attached below.

MacDeath

rasters (and splits?), it actually includes all the CPC palette (not PLUS, just CPCold) so it is indeed quite some technical achievment.

Quite impressive on a real screen, would love to see something more "serious theme" in the same vein... but CPC is always good in comic/cartoon style. :)

ZX Sprectum can go back to the trash it always belonged to... :laugh:
as this screen is some sort of 384x272x27... :o

Dizrythmia

Mode 1 with more colours. Looks great!!

CraigsBar

Quote from: MacDeath on 01:38, 29 June 15
rasters (and splits?), it actually includes all the CPC palette (not PLUS, just CPCold) so it is indeed quite some technical achievment.

Quite impressive on a real screen, would love to see something more "serious theme" in the same vein... but CPC is always good in comic/cartoon style. :)

ZX Sprectum can go back to the trash it always belonged to... :laugh:
as this screen is some sort of 384x272x27... :o
It does look Amazing on my CPC 6128. On my Plus however none of the files line the rasters up quite right. It is without doubt incredible on the original Hardware however.

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Apollo

First, all Images are great! Kudos to all 5!
But sadly with everything art related personal taste is involved as well and for me as a coder, the 5th images is the most technically impressiv.

@MacDeath: With what program did you do the screenshots? The rastering of the colors is interesting and resembled a Bayer-Filter.

@Grim: The raster-layout is very interesting, especially as I work on something that tries to do this kind of things automatically. The map uses 25 different colors, so are all 27 colors of the CPC used in that image?
CPC - My beloved first computer!

MacDeath

I don't know, this "filtered" version is the one at Push&Pop you should ask there...

concerning the raster layout I think I can answer a bit...

this is Mode1 = 4 inks...
you can only change one ink so there is still black and white and grey on most of that picture that don't really change except at some points perhaps.
this rastermap only shows the state of one ink amongst 4.
There is no black in it but you can see black on the real on-screen picture...

I was told all 27 colours were used by this picture's creator himself so I guess it is true.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Apollo on 22:56, 29 June 15
First, all Images are great! Kudos to all 4!
But sadly with everything art related personal taste is involved as well and for me as a coder, the 4th images is the most technically impressiv.

Really, could you expand on that? Whilst they are all *way* above my personal graphical skill level, I would not pick the 4th over say the mammoth, of the reset xx image.

Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Apollo

Quote from: CraigsBar on 23:51, 29 June 15
Really, could you expand on that? Whilst they are all *way* above my personal graphical skill level, I would not pick the 4th over say the mammoth, of the reset xx image.

Sorry my fault, I wanted to say 5 images and the 5th, but as I saw my error I could not edit my post anymore  :P
Edit: aha now the edit worked, before it did not and I assumed I just had a certain time to edit.. sorry for the confusion!

Apollo

@MayDeath: Thx for the hint, I will ask there how they made the screenshots!

I expected to be black as constant as it is used virtually everywhere, grey is so dominant used that most probably constant as well. But I was expecting two colors to be changed for the rest but your explanation made really sense looking at the raster-layout now and why grim just posted one and not two ;) Thx!

ervin

Quote from: Grim on 01:35, 29 June 15
It's a classic CPC, mid-res (mode 1) image with rasters.
If you're curious, you will find the main raster-layout attached below.

Astonishing!
Wow. Just wow.

arnoldemu

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Grim

Quote from: Apollo on 22:56, 29 June 15The map uses 25 different colors, so are all 27 colors of the CPC used in that image?
Yes, there should be the entire CPC palette used in the image (unless I fucked up with the light green and blue color codes, which all look similar :). There are rasters in other pens too. Barjack published more "making of" screens on his website.

Btw, the filtered screenshot on Push'n'Pop is a photoshop experiment of mine: Skewed RGB channels+blur+shadow-mask. I also just began to use another version of it, eg. there and there.

MacDeath

Actually I like the 4th one (Bora Bora) as it has a true "retro" feeling... it could really have been the intro page for some 1986's adventure game from some french company...
Yeah, not technically impressive and some palette/compositions errors, and no antialiasing...
But you can see the Naïveté of the 80's and the construction is not that bad.

wasn't the Luffy one done in Vector graphics ? this can explain why it is not antialiased.

I only posted the ones without some sort of flipping/strob/interlace effects because I consider you should look them on real hardwaqre to understand the limitation of those techniques and why it is not fair to display flawless mockups on PC.
I like the fact research is done on those but I really thing it is a "fraud" to get flawless PC mockups as it doesn't really works as it should on real hardware.
Please try in 60hz instead and we'll talk.

the batman thing is great and may be good enough without such interlaced effect.
Also I see very few point to get flipping screens just to gain some light grey while Mode1 actually gains so much better with a real extra "colour"... ditherings are more than enough with Black-grey-white-Mode1... IMO just use Black-Grey-PastelBlue-White and you'lll get quite a sufficient result.

Just a matter of opinion of course.

Phi2x

ZbyniuR

I have similar taste. I love: Bat-Moule, Octopus, Mammouth. And some ASCII-Art are cute too. Rest of pictures are good too. :)

Users of Atari XE since few years have program on PC - 'Graph2Font'. Which let draw and convert graphics to 192x240 (wide pixel like in mode 0) mostly 30 to 50 colors from 256 palette. And effect is realy impresive and makes me jealous. This program makes bitmap and raster switching program for XE. I dream about something like that for CPC in mode 1.

Some exemples from Atari scene. G2F
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

TFM

1. Bubbles of Mind
2. Reset picture
3. Bat-Mole

All others show passion too!  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

tastefulmrship

Shyte! Was that last week? Bugger! I was going to release some musix for fun... but missed the whole dang thing!
Ah well! Nevermind. I'll attach it here and pretend it was released! ^_^ Ooops!

EDIT: If you want to view this on an emulator, I recommend using JavaCPC and select the "De-Interlace" option in the Video tab of the Configuration menu.

As far as the released images are concerned; the obvious top 3 are;
3. Reset XX by CeD
2. Condense loves Pulpo Corrosivo by CeD
1. Mammouth by Barjack & Grim

A lot of images released, compared to last year! ^_^ That's really nice to see!
Hopefully, next year will see even more... and maybe even a demo or two! (Well done to Kukulcan for the ASCII releases!)

Quote from: phi2x on 18:10, 30 June 15
2nd place: Bat-Moule, by Beb & Hicks

Very funny picture. I laughed my ass off when I've seen it. :)
But the humiliation falls short imho, because it's clear that the Batman Group is still the undisputed champion of the demoscene.
This made me laugh!

MacDeath

Seems I won't be the winner this year... AGAIN...
:(

seanb

Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

arnoldemu

Quote from: MacDeath on 18:04, 05 July 15
Seems I won't be the winner this year... AGAIN...
:(
Try again. :)

Your work is good!

My favourite is Mammouth because of the technical achievement and that the picture is well made and fun.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

MacDeath

I will try to produce at least another big screen for the Alchimie 0xb (2015)... in 13-15 november.
If some of you want to do remote things, not sure if possible, but will check and it would be nice to have Amstrad stuffs there...

http://www.triplea.fr/alchimie/pages/alchimies.php

sorry site in français/french...

toms

The compos results are now available! Congratulations to the winners!

Intro/Demo
1. Slideshow Paint ASCII CPC (24)
2. Intro ASCII 1K (6)

Graphics
1. Mammouth by Barjack & Grim (168)
2. Condense loves Pulpo Corrosivo by CeD / Condense (136)
3. Bat-Moule by Beb / Vanity (127)
4. ReSeT XX by CeD / Condense (93)
5. Bubbles of the mind by MacDeath (83)
6. Lines Up Forms Fill Yeah!! (Amstrad Plus) by Kukulcan (29)
7. Bora-Bora by Sicca (24)

Music
1. Two Years by Brink (47)
2. Chemin by Madram / Overlanders (36)
3. Tigres et Pirates by Garvalf (7)

And thanks to the 33 voters: AsT, Axelay, Barjack, Beb, BlackBird, breiztiger, Brink, CeD, CraigsBar, dlfrsilver, eliot, Grim, Hicks, Kris, krusty, kukulcan, MacDeath, madram, Optimus, Overflow, Papy-cpc, phi2x, raft, rexbeng, sicca, Supersly, SyX, Targhan, TFM, Tom&Jerry, Toms, TotO and voxfreax.

MacDeath

Mode1 got some nice deserved love this year.