News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Home computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair dies aged 81

Started by XeNoMoRPH, 19:45, 16 September 21

Previous topic - Next topic

XeNoMoRPH

QuoteSir Clive Sinclair, the inventor and entrepreneur who was instrumental in bringing home computers to the masses, has died at the age of 81.

source: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/sep/16/home-computing-pioneer-sir-clive-sinclair-dies-aged-81
Thanks for everything  :(
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Gryzor

RetroCPC

Very sad news, the man who introduced myself and many of my generation to computing, Many many thanks! may he RIP.

Inventor Sir Clive Sinclair, who popularised the home computer and invented the pocket calculator, has died at his London home aged 81.

His daughter Belinda Sinclair said he passed away on Thursday morning after having cancer for more than a decade.

Sir Clive's products included the ZX series of computers and his ill-fated C5 electric vehicle.

He was still working on his inventions last week "because that was what he loved doing", said Ms Sinclair.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58587521

1024MAK

Yes, very sad news  :(

May he enjoy the inventors heaven.

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

1024MAK

Yes, very sad news  :(

May he enjoy the inventors heaven.

Mark

PS Maybe this topic needs to be merged with this one.

Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

Dagger

Sad news indeed  :( 
Off to Silicon Heaven with all the calculators etc
Life's a bitch. You marry one or two then you die !

arkive

eto

I did my first BASIC steps on the ZX81 and the CPC wouldn't have existed if Sinclair wouldn't have shown that there is a market.

So it's very likely I wouldn't be the person I am today, if it wouldn't have been for this man. Thank you!

SkulleateR

Thank you Sir Clive ! You made my childhood great ... R.I.P

Bryce

I suppose a ZX81 is a fitting tribute.

Bryce.

Gryzor

I guess the door of inventor heaven is held open for him with one of these?

Shaun M. Neary

I thought that was a wheel chock for aircraft!!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:52, 17 September 21
I guess the door of inventor heaven is held open for him with one of these?

ComSoft6128

Watching my mate struggle with one of these in the early eighties helped push me in the direction of the CPC.

Bryce

He made some other fine stuff, not just computers... Still in calibration (and still being used) today.

Bryce.

VincentGR

Well this photo is from a friend (sinclair fan) who did this as a joke a couple of years ago.
Yesterday he posted it for real.

Gryzor

VincentGR

Το έργο είναι όπως το βλέπεις.
Ο καλλιτέχνης δε σχολίασε.

lmimmfn

RIP Clive, thank you so much for introducing affordable computers for everyone, what a legend!!!
6128 for the win!!!

Widukind

At age 81, the news of Sir Clive Sinclair's decease isn't totally unexpected, but still a sad news.

Well, I join the previous posters and their thank-yous to this great inventor. His brilliant ZX Spectrum has also been my entry into the amazing world of home-computers, which today sadly is gone but still living in retro things and emulation etc.

Thanks Mr Clive Sinclair, and very gratefully I will say a rosary for your soul.
R.I.P. : Requiescat in pace – May he rest in peace.