News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Alcon 2020 released

Started by abalore, 10:44, 20 December 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Animalgril987

I tried several times to get this game to work on my 464, and it just crashed the system, with a flashing red screen and no keyboard response. :(

VincentGR

Same here, also some of my friends with M4.

ago

Hi!!!
I was experiencing the same issues with the .cpr file from the website (system crash), but I knew it could work as I was playing it last christmas using the .bin file that has been removed from @abalore 's website.
I could find the .bin file in one of my PC's, you can find it attached to this post. I can confirm it works with a M4 and a regular 6128.
Great game!! After completing this version I became a fan of the original arcade.

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

eto

This is just amazing... With this improvement, Alcon2020 will be (by far) the best shooter ever created for the CPC.

"The CPC can't scroll and is slow for sprites"
"one second, let me show you something"

I hope the logic behind it will be explained and shared at some point so we can see more of such awesome quality in the future. 

abalore

Quote from: eto on 07:38, 08 July 21

This is just amazing... With this improvement, Alcon2020 will be (by far) the best shooter ever created for the CPC.

"The CPC can't scroll and is slow for sprites"
"one second, let me show you something"

I hope the logic behind it will be explained and shared at some point so we can see more of such awesome quality in the future.
Hello, the logic behind can be explained in a simple sentence: it's a cartridge game.
The fact of being a cartridge game leads to two important things:
- Having 512K to store highly optimized compiled sprites and uncompressed backgrounds.
- Having all RAM free for other optimization techniques, like a triple video buffer.
As the number of (true) cartridge games increase, we'll see a number of marvels in our CPCs that we could only dream of before. By my side, I'll keep working in that way in both software and hardware, letting my cartridge adapter reach the maximum number of people.

ComSoft6128

It looks up to the graphical level of the games I played in the Arcades in the 80's :)

norecess464

A very, very, very welcomed updated @abalore .

This 25hz version is going to change EVERYTHING: the original version was too slow to be very enjoyable (only my opinion).
And to be honest, as a programmer, I always wondered why 25hz could not be reached... now I get my answer  8)

Finally, thanks for all the hard work on this. It's a really solid game conversion.
I really look forward having some blast with the update of the game :)

ps. @Xyphoe did amazing work as usual with his Youtube videos ; he really knows how to communicate and share his passion!
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

Gryzor

Yeah that was a nice vid!

Cwiiis

It's been a while now, has there been any progress on the 25hz version? Kinda waiting on that to give this a try 🙂

Amigamstrad

The game has good look, it looks a modern Xenon 1.

XeNoMoRPH

Hi @TotO !!!  8) 8)  , we are waiting for Updated 25Hz/FPS Version Of "Alcon 2020"  !!!!

TotO

Hey @XeNoMoRPH !

Alcon 2020 at 25Hz is fully working but some boss display left to update. @abalore did a hard rework to reach the desired 16-bit quality.
It is a really outstanding shoot'm up with an improved and dynamic gameplay and impressive pixel accuraty of enemies moves!
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

XeNoMoRPH

ok, thanks, then we can try it soon hehe  :)

abalore

Alcon 2020 25hz is finished, here is the prototype cartridge working, tested and ready for mass production.

norecess464

Champagne !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :) :) ;) ;) :) :) ;) ;) :-* :-* :-*
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

kawickboy

Great news. No electronic components shortage ?

eto

Quote from: abalore on 22:58, 13 October 21
Alcon 2020 25hz is finished, here is the prototype cartridge working, tested and ready for mass production.

will this also be available for download or only as a physical release?

XeNoMoRPH

zhulien

how do i know if i have the 25hz or an older version on cartridge?

TotO

Quote from: zhulien on 15:53, 11 October 22how do i know if i have the 25hz or an older version on cartridge?
All the cartridges are 25Hz. You can know because it is smooth. ;D (25HZ displayed into the service menu)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

zhulien

Quote from: TotO on 16:40, 11 October 22
Quote from: zhulien on 15:53, 11 October 22how do i know if i have the 25hz or an older version on cartridge?
All the cartridges are 25Hz. You can know because it is smooth. ;D (25HZ displayed into the service menu)

That's the oddity, it is only smooth for me every 2nd life or such - perhaps a TV incompatability?  (I'm using a fairly old LCD with Scart connection)

TotO

Quote from: zhulien on 17:20, 12 October 22That's the oddity, it is only smooth for me every 2nd life or such - perhaps a TV incompatability?  (I'm using a fairly old LCD with Scart connection)
Are you speaking about the scrolling or the player moves?

zhulien

Quote from: TotO on 17:33, 12 October 22
Quote from: zhulien on 17:20, 12 October 22That's the oddity, it is only smooth for me every 2nd life or such - perhaps a TV incompatability?  (I'm using a fairly old LCD with Scart connection)
Are you speaking about the scrolling or the player moves?
the scrolling, it is very jerky usually the first ship before dieing, then the second ship is silky smooth

TotO

Quote from: zhulien on 17:36, 12 October 22the scrolling, it is very jerky usually the first ship before dieing, then the second ship is silky smooth
It is strange. I suggest to test on another monitor if possible.