News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

AMSTEAM: WIP game streaming service for the Amstrad CPC

Started by abalore, 13:56, 09 March 24

Previous topic - Next topic

cwpab

Hey guys... I still don't get how are Amstrad users going to... use this. Will they be building Wi-Fi cards? Buying them? Emulation? Thanks in advance.

abalore

Quote from: cwpab on 14:14, 12 March 24Hey guys... I still don't get how are Amstrad users going to... use this. Will they be building Wi-Fi cards? Buying them? Emulation? Thanks in advance.

That's the million dollar question.

Current plan is to build the boards myself. And I'm open for someone to create drivers for M4, Usifac or whatever, providing the required technical details. I don't have any of these devices at this moment. Donations accepted @Duke, @ikonsgrE

abalore

And the third Wifi+SPI board goes to...

@Nich 

for his excellent contribution to the library, including amazing thumbnails!

I'll keep the list updated in the first post to avoid repeating games.

Prodatron

Nearly 600 games now, wow, that is very amazing! :o

Quote from: abalore on 15:16, 12 March 24And I'm open for someone to create drivers for M4, Usifac or whatever, providing the required technical details.

Any technical details would be very useful. Maybe after having these information someone likes to start writing clients for other hardware (I am very interested as well).

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

awergh

Ignoring my desire for ethernet (maybe one day someone will do it).
What would be interesting is if I could self host the server and then use it to host the latest binaries that I am working on.

The idea being I push the code to source control, automatically compile it and then deploy it to the AMSTEAM server where I can access the game on a real CPC.
This way I could automate the step for getting my latest game build onto the CPC (faster dev loop with real hardware).

abalore

Quote from: awergh on 14:26, 14 March 24Ignoring my desire for ethernet (maybe one day someone will do it).
What would be interesting is if I could self host the server and then use it to host the latest binaries that I am working on.

The idea being I push the code to source control, automatically compile it and then deploy it to the AMSTEAM server where I can access the game on a real CPC.
This way I could automate the step for getting my latest game build onto the CPC (faster dev loop with real hardware).

Hello, that's a very interesting case of use. The Amsteam Firmware comes with three RSX commands:

|AT
|SETUP
|AMSTEAM

the first command is an AT protocol trainer, with it you can override any settings of the WiFi module, so while it's initially configured to connect to the Amsteam server, you can just run the following commands in the trainer:

AT+CIPCLOSE
AT+CIPSTART="TCP","yourserveraddress",yourserverport

and after that you can restart the CPC and call |AMSTEAM to open the browser interface.

You can always run the |SETUP command for settings the Amsteam default configuration if you mess something.

Apart from that, you can totally ignore the Amsteam firmware and use the board in a RAW manner. The SPI + WiFi board is actually a WiFi board, not restricted for the use with Amsteam, you can connect to whatever online service you want: Telnet, FTP, HTTP, SMTP, POP3... or whatever you want while you do the required software for it.

About your desire for Ethernet, the next module for the SPI card will be an Ethernet module, it's even easier to do than the WiFi.

abalore

Quote from: Prodatron on 11:18, 14 March 24Nearly 600 games now, wow, that is very amazing! :o

Quote from: abalore on 15:16, 12 March 24And I'm open for someone to create drivers for M4, Usifac or whatever, providing the required technical details.

Any technical details would be very useful. Maybe after having these information someone likes to start writing clients for other hardware (I am very interested as well).

Thanks to your post I discovered that CPCEmu emulates the M4, so I can investigate it to make a driver myself, because I don't have a working physical board. Sadly the spinpoint site seems to be down where the low level information about the card is, and I was not clever enough to keep a copy when doing the M4FE. If someone has it please post it here. @Duke if you can read me, please let me know where to access it.

robcfg

The Internet Archive's Wayback Machine is your friend  ;D
Link

Developer info is at the bottom of the file.

abalore

Quote from: robcfg on 15:53, 14 March 24The Internet Archive's Wayback Machine is your friend  ;D
Link

Developer info is at the bottom of the file.
Wow dude, you are a serious surfer. Thank you!

abalore

Hey @TITAN (Eric Cubizolle) ,

some games I like a lot from the Amsteam library don't have a loading screen, i.e.: Activator

would you be interested in putting your awesome talent to design loading screens for those?

of course, not for free, as the other collaborators, in exchange of one brand new SPI + Wifi card combo.

TITAN (Eric Cubizolle)

Hi abalore !

Many thanks for your interest in my little CPC screens. :)
I immerse myself in this activity when I have a little time and when the subject inspires me. :)

I create these pixel arts only for fun, therefore completely free. ;)

I'm not promising you anything, but don't hesitate to list the games for which you would like a title screen, I'll see what inspires me and, who knows, maybe something will spring up under my mouse clicks a day ! ;)

For your information, all my Amstrad CPC pixel art is available on this page: https://amstradmuseum.emu-france.info/Fichiers/Projets/PixelArt_TITAN_CPC/PixelArt_TITAN_CPC.html

All the best,

abalore

Quote from: TITAN (Eric Cubizolle) on 07:38, 15 March 24Hi abalore !

Many thanks for your interest in my little CPC screens. :)
I immerse myself in this activity when I have a little time and when the subject inspires me. :)

I create these pixel arts only for fun, therefore completely free. ;)

I'm not promising you anything, but don't hesitate to list the games for which you would like a title screen, I'll see what inspires me and, who knows, maybe something will spring up under my mouse clicks a day ! ;)

For your information, all my Amstrad CPC pixel art is available on this page: https://amstradmuseum.emu-france.info/Fichiers/Projets/PixelArt_TITAN_CPC/PixelArt_TITAN_CPC.html

All the best,

Great! If you don't mind I can already borrow your screens for Oh Mummy!, Aliens and Zorro. You have another great versions like Saboteur II and Rampage, but I prefer to use the originals when possible and only replace in case of the game doesn't have a screen or the developers clearly didn't put any effort into creating it. I'll send you a complete list as soon as possible with the hope you feel inspired by some of the games. Thank you!

abalore

First button press shows loading screen, secondary button backs to menu, second button press launch game.

abalore

I'm anything but a pixel artist, but made this loading screen, based on the tape cover, for one of my all-time favourite games: BOULDER DASH

abalore

eto

abalore

abalore

abalore

Well, I lied, NOW is the last one today, Ballcrazy

awergh

Quote from: abalore on 15:12, 14 March 24
Quote from: awergh on 14:26, 14 March 24Ignoring my desire for ethernet (maybe one day someone will do it).

Hello, that's a very interesting case of use. The Amsteam Firmware comes with three RSX commands:

|AT
|SETUP
|AMSTEAM

the first command is an AT protocol trainer, with it you can override any settings of the WiFi module, so while it's initially configured to connect to the Amsteam server, you can just run the following commands in the trainer:

AT+CIPCLOSE

and after that you can restart the CPC and call |AMSTEAM to open the browser interface.

You can always run the |SETUP command for settings the Amsteam default configuration if you mess something.

Apart from that, you can totally ignore the Amsteam firmware and use the board in a RAW manner. The SPI + WiFi board is actually a WiFi board, not restricted for the use with Amsteam, you can connect to whatever online service you want: Telnet, FTP, HTTP, SMTP, POP3... or whatever you want while you do the required software for it.

About your desire for Ethernet, the next module for the SPI card will be an Ethernet module, it's even easier to do than the WiFi.

That sounds great (especially the ethernet module). I look forward to seeing how this project progresses.
When a new or updated game is made available on the server would the CPC side be able to refresh and get the new or updated game or would there be more steps required?

abalore

Quote from: awergh on 12:02, 18 March 24
Quote from: abalore on 15:12, 14 March 24

|AT
|SETUP
|AMSTEAM

AT+CIPCLOSE

That sounds great (especially the ethernet module). I look forward to seeing how this project progresses.
When a new or updated game is made available on the server would the CPC side be able to refresh and get the new or updated game or would there be more steps required?

Hello, the CPC doesn't need to refresh anything, because the service is 100% online. Every time you scroll the game list, the whole content is sent to the CPC from the network, and the games are downloaded and run in real-time. That means, everything is up-to-date at all times. More over, the server doesn't require to restart to add or modify content, games, thumbnails, loading screens, etc. So you see the changes in the CPC screen in real-time!

abalore

Another screen for the collection, searched everywhere for a good loading screen for Bruce Lee, but nothing honor the master. So I made my own one:

Nich

Quote from: abalore on 19:08, 18 March 24Another screen for the collection, searched everywhere for a good loading screen for Bruce Lee, but nothing honor the master. So I made my own one:
@Brundij produced a really nice alternative loading screen for Bruce Lee a couple of years ago, which can be downloaded from CPC-POWER.

abalore

Quote from: Nich on 20:31, 18 March 24
Quote from: abalore on 19:08, 18 March 24Another screen for the collection, searched everywhere for a good loading screen for Bruce Lee, but nothing honor the master. So I made my own one:
@Brundij produced a really nice alternative loading screen for Bruce Lee a couple of years ago, which can be downloaded from CPC-POWER.
Yes, I know, but sadly I require the standard 320x200 size for now.

TITAN (Eric Cubizolle)

Thanks to Abalore who trusted me, I was able to participate in the project Amsteam by creating a few screens :

:)