Announcing Sonic GX - a new episode of Sonic the Hedgehog for Amstrad GX-4000

Started by norecess464, 16:18, 01 November 19

Previous topic - Next topic

norecess464

Quote from: Animalgril987 on 14:32, 30 July 21
Makes me wish I had a Plus/GX  :(
Bad timing ? I saw prices have skyrocketed on eBay....
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

Animalgril987

That and the fact that I only have space for one retro machine, and there's a 464 in that space!

norecess464

Quote from: Animalgril987 on 16:15, 30 July 21
That and the fact that I only have space for one retro machine, and there's a 464 in that space!

Go get a 464 PLUS then! ;-) Kidding  ;)
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

Animalgril987

What?? After the hours I put in fixing the tape deck and giving the CPC a damn good cleaning?

Besides, a 464 was my first computer, back in the eighties. :D :D

BSC

Warning! Slight topic distraction ahead: I do own a GX4000 which I bought in London back in 1993. What additional hardware would I need to run e.g. Sonic GX or Soundtracker DMA? I am thinking of a keyboad mainly, but afaik there's no such thing as an external keyboard for the GX. This might have been asked in the forums before, so if that's true: linky please :)
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

villain

Quote from: BSC on 19:05, 02 August 21
Warning! Slight topic distraction ahead: I do own a GX4000 which I bought in London back in 1993. What additional hardware would I need to run e.g. Sonic GX or Soundtracker DMA? I am thinking of a keyboad mainly, but afaik there's no such thing as an external keyboard for the GX. This might have been asked in the forums before, so if that's true: linky please :)

Make another journey to an european capital (no Six-Pack this time), visit Paris and buy a Plus somewhere in France.  ;D

If all this COVID-Kacke is over one day I will make a trip to Grand Est and hope to find something suitable on leboncoin.fr...

norecess464

Quote from: BSC on 19:05, 02 August 21
Actually, that's a good question ! Sonic GX requires 64Kb of RAM so it will run on an unmodified GX-4000. But, you need to buy a C4CPC to be able to launch cartridge .CPR files (unfortunately, we don't plan to distribute original cartridges that you can directly plug into the console). You can PM @gerald for more information about the C4CPC, it's a powerful device for a decent price.

Regarding the Soundtracker DMA from @Zik , it requires an Amstrad Plus. I don't recommend you to try extending an existing Amstrad GX-4000 into a "computer", as you would kill a working GX-4000 for such a project, and the result would be a bunch of wire + visible hardware... So instead, my recommendation would be to try buying the real thing, I mean the Amstrad Plus - good luck to find one at cheap price  :-X

villain

norecess464

Thanks @villain for sharing this :)

I won't enter into the discussion "it's using a RAM expansion ! it has bad colors !" etc etc.

Their version just looks awesome for the machine, it looks and feels like a Sonic game !

A lot of work has been put there for sure, I'm sincerely excited for all C64 users :)

villain

Quote from: norecess on 19:13, 13 December 21
A lot of work has been put there for sure, I'm sincerely excited for all C64 users :)

He wrote of app. 1200 hours...  :o

norecess464

Quote from: villain on 19:41, 13 December 21
He wrote of app. 1200 hours...  :o
I'm not be surprised.

I'm not counting hours on Sonic GX (but I can count years, ahah!)
The private git repo of Sonic GX states about 3037 commits as in date of today  8)
Which is the largest program I ever worked on so far!

TotO

Is-it the REU (RAM Expansion Unit) that not only add 256K memory but DMA transfer to speed-up the display?
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

BSC

Quote from: norecess on 19:24, 02 August 21don't recommend you to try extending an existing Amstrad GX-4000 into a "computer", as you would kill a working GX-4000 for such a project, and the result would be a bunch of wire + visible hardware..

Never gonna break my GX-4000! But obtaining a Plus is no mean feat, I suppose, and even if I get one, the price is gonna make me cry ..
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

Captain Past

Quote from: TotO on 20:16, 13 December 21
Is-it the REU (RAM Expansion Unit) that not only add 256K memory but DMA transfer to speed-up the display?
Yes, it is.

CraigsBar

Quote from: norecess on 19:13, 13 December 21
Thanks @villain for sharing this :)

I won't enter into the discussion "it's using a RAM expansion ! it has bad colors !" etc etc.

Their version just looks awesome for the machine, it looks and feels like a Sonic game !

I loaded this up on my C64g last night. It is amazingly impresseive. Albeit on PAL machines the music (and game itself) play slower as expected. It is still a truly amazing product and I intend to play a lot more of it over the coming days!

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Bryce

Quote from: CraigsBar on 10:22, 23 December 21
I loaded this up on my C64g last night. It is amazingly impresseive. Albeit on PAL machines the music (and game itself) play slower as expected. It is still a truly amazing product and I intend to play a lot more of it over the coming days!

Official frown of disapproval to you for praising anything C64 related on an Amstrad forum....

:(

Consider yourself "frowned upon".

Bryce.

norecess464

Quote from: Bryce on 16:25, 23 December 21Official frown of disapproval to you for praising anything C64 related on an Amstrad forum....
Well, yes and no? I'm not against seeing the great things happening on other 8-bit machines. Especially when it's related to Sonic franchise, cf. the topic of this thread :)

Gryzor

Skunkfish

Quote from: CraigsBar on 10:22, 23 December 21
I loaded this up on my C64g last night.
Craig, I would have thought better of you than to be showing that filth on a family forum!
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:50, 23 December 21
Ah people still don't get the Bryce humor😉

Nor do they know that @CraigsBar and I are extremely good friends in real life and enjoy nothing better than sharing a pint and taking the piss out of each other!

Bryce.

P.s Craig, move your arse, it's your round! Mine's a Guinness, and get get a Ginger tea for @Shaun M. Neary , or whatever lame beverage he happens to be on at the moment.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 16:25, 23 December 21
Official frown of disapproval to you for praising anything C64 related on an Amstrad forum....

:(

Consider yourself "frowned upon".

Bryce.

sheesh, I went out of my way to use the C64g too. You know that lovely white(ish) Breadbin that was exclusive to the German market? I thought you woudl at least approve a little bit!
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 20:42, 07 January 22
Nor do they know that @CraigsBar and I are extremely good friends in real life and enjoy nothing better than sharing a pint and taking the piss out of each other!

Bryce.

P.s Craig, move your arse, it's your round! Mine's a Guinness, and get get a Ginger tea for @Shaun M. Neary , or whatever lame beverage he happens to be on at the moment.

The hell dude? I was on hot whiskey and a pint of Guinness the last time we met!! You don't get more stereotypical Irish than that!!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

villain

As I own a Plus now and my daughter shows Sonic-fever (Megadrive...) I just wanted to ask if there are any news concerning the release date... But no need to hurry.  8)