Announcing Sonic GX - a new episode of Sonic the Hedgehog for Amstrad GX-4000

Started by norecess464, 16:18, 01 November 19

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon

Quote from: GUNHED on 15:38, 29 November 20
You guys did an incredible job. Hope you can finish it up till 2022. Thar would be awesome!  :) :) :)

... Then send it to Amstrad, to show them how game shall look like.  ;)
Imagine sending a Alan sugar a copy in cartridge oh man :D.
cheer up guys

XeNoMoRPH

The effort and dedication you are making with this game is incredible, Amstrad users are very grateful  :o :o :o
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Gryzor

This looks awesome. Of course a video is a video but even these shots are amazing...

dthrone

Gryzor

jockavelli

Just wondered if there was any update on this project, really looking forward to seeing more of it.

norecess464

Quote from: jockavelli on 11:51, 14 June 21Just wondered if there was any update on this project, really looking forward to seeing more of it.

Nice avatar, @jockavelli  8)
Yes I have good news, I will provide a project update later this month. We are still targeting a release for end of 2022!
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

jockavelli

Quote from: norecess on 12:38, 14 June 21
Nice avatar, @jockavelli  8)
Yes I have good news, I will provide a project update later this month. We are still targeting a release for end of 2022!

Amazing can't wait, no chance of a sneaky wee 1 level demo slipping out is there :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ?

norecess464

Hello all -- and specifically @jockavelli   ;) (this message was also cross-posted on my website http://norecess.cpcscene.net/)

Today I'm sharing with you an update on Sonic GX's development !

What was done since the last update:

• The game now features 4 unique zones, with their own set of visual styles, each made of 2 levels: the Green Hill Zone, the Bridge Zone, the Climb Zone and finally the Sky Scrap Zone. This was made possible thanks to newer technical approaches and re-organizing (AGAIN) the data. All of that remains perfectly coherent with the game story.
  • The complete game-through of the game is achieved ! Yes, you read it: the game is now fully playable from Level 1 to end of Level 8, without any blockers. Of course there are many remaining things to tweak, but this represents a major step for us that we finally reached.
  • Because of level-design restrictions (the Climb Zone required a vertical layout, while the Sky Scrap Zone features a labyrinth in DrEggman's bunker), we had to upgrade our tile engine to support squared-maps, vertical-maps... this means the engine is not stuck anymore to horizontal levels only.
  • We also added a new enemy - Spike - and added few new screens (a new dedicated "Act Screen" for the Sky Scrap Zone, the Scoring Screen that appears at the end of each levels, etc).
  • Our musician Targhan delivered all the audio required for the game: levels (including the newer additions), act screens, bonus level, end screen, game sounds and more. What I can say is that his work completely match the game theme as we know on Sega consoles !
Remaining work:

• We are still good regarding our development plan. Our target is to get the game "feature completed" end of this year (major work to focus: implement the Bonus Level + the End Screen of the game).
  • Next year will be the year of the bug-fixings / game improvements. Since we don't want to disappoint, we won't release the game till we don't consider it's good for shipping -- or, in other words: till TotO is not satisfied with :)
  • Hopefully End of 2022 as Release Date, if everything still goes OK! :)
Find here attached some new screens (that completes the ones in the previous update). Please keep in mind all of that remains a work in progress: many things can change.
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

HAL6128

From my point of view (doing some graphics) the deepest respect for the gfx efforts.
(sadly I can't imagine the programing efforts but it seems very talented).
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

norecess464

Quote from: HAL 6128 on 20:17, 20 June 21
From my point of view (doing some graphics) the deepest respect for the gfx efforts.

CeD did not do yet his graphical pass on the bunker level (cf. as shown in the images above), they are presented as straight port from the originals. As a reminder, compared to the GameGear/MasterSystem counter-parts, in SonicGX the tiles resolution is twice higher. CeD will do his magic and bring details there in the following months...

Skunkfish

Absolutely stunning, I've played most Sonic games but this could be my most anticipated ever! (Or at least a close second to Sonic Adventure)
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

jockavelli

Quote from: norecess on 19:37, 20 June 21
Hello all -- and specifically @jockavelli   ;) (this message was also cross-posted on my website http://norecess.cpcscene.net/)

:o :o :o  Wow i didnt expect an update for a while..... maybe i should ask more often :laugh:

Amazing... Honestly it really does look amazing even at this stage.

The sad thing for me is that this highlights how many excellent games the GX & CPC+ missed out on via lack of development & just not being ported, such a shame.

However i cannot wait to play this & hear the fantastic soundtrack coming via the GX.

Fantastic work by everyone involved.

Gryzor

VincentGR

This is the case when you add a 4th A to a triple A title.

norecess464

Quote from: jockavelli on 10:10, 21 June 21The sad thing for me is that this highlights how many excellent games the GX & CPC+ missed out on via lack of development & just not being ported, such a shame.
Well, I'm with you all the way but it's a bit unfair, here.

In the end (for the programming side) I will probably spend 4 years of my hobby time on this.. with all those incredible cross-platform tools called "emulators", "assemblers", "audio trackers" and such. And not even mentioning the few available technical documentation.

Back then, professional game creators had to 1) discover the platform 2) release a game as fast as possible -- all of that in only few weeks of development..

Really, I can't really blame them.
What we can blame, is that Amstrad did not invest massively on a GOOD launch line-up (investing time & quality, not only $$$ in marketing).

Bryce

Quote from: norecess on 18:39, 21 June 21
Well, I'm with you all the way but it's a bit unfair, here.

In the end (for the programming side) I will probably spend 4 years of my hobby time on this.. with all those incredible cross-platform tools called "emulators", "assemblers", "audio trackers" and such. And not even mentioning the few available technical documentation.

Back then, professional game creators had to 1) discover the platform 2) release a game as fast as possible -- all of that in only few weeks of development..

Really, I can't really blame them.
What we can blame, is that Amstrad did not invest massively on a GOOD launch line-up (investing time & quality, not only $$$ in marketing).
Amstrad made an informed decision to semi-out-source that task to Amsoft. Due to the very tight time to market they went for, meant that developers only got usable hardware to develop games on shortly before launch. Alan would have been left with the decision: Delay going to market to have better software support at launch, but risk completely missing a potential market (things were moving fast at the time) or go as early as possible to market, let the hardware speak for itself and hope that the software industry catches up. Amsoft gave him at least a line-up of games / utilities to go to market with. I think he made the right choice, there'd probably be a lot less CPC's in circulation today if he had gone the other way.

Bryce.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: jockavelli on 10:10, 21 June 21
The sad thing for me is that this highlights how many excellent games the GX & CPC+ missed out on via lack of development & just not being ported, such a shame.

You're not really comparing like for like in terms of situations. During the 80s and early 90s, the video game industry was a fast moving industry and we're talking big money from software houses to be made to capitalise on certain markets, particularly the arcade and movie licence markets.

As a result, developers didn't have a lot of time to milk the best out of machines and Amstrad owners weren't the only ones to suffer that fate, there are some woeful Speccy and C64 games out there too.

Comparing a game developed by hobbyists with no deadlines that had all the time in the world to play with is grossly unfair. For what it's worth, the Speccy has seen some awesome remakes recently too, including Kung Fu Master, and if you ever played the Speccy KF Master, you'd understand exactly why it needed to be remade! 😂
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

eto

Quote from: Bryce on 19:17, 21 June 21Amstrad made an informed decision to semi-out-source that task to Amsoft.

Wasn't Amsoft already history when the Plus/GX4000 came out? Afaik Amstrad completely relied on third party companies to come up with modules. Amsoft was probably THE reason for the unexpected success of the CPC range as they managed to take the risk from the publishers so they didn't wait IF the CPC is successful and at the same time the customers saw a totally fresh computer on the shelf AND lots of games were available. High quality and the availability of the hardware as announced were also important, but without software, it would have probably sold 10x less.

And with the GX... well... there was basically no Software that could justify buying a GX4000 or a Plus. Almost only slightly enhanced titles for much more than it costs on tape.

dragon

I don't know the history of amsoft in UK.

I know that the spanish part(poogaboo ro land in the ropes etc...).

Was dismantled time later soon  and they go to  dinámic opera soft etc...  Because José Luis dominguez want sell more hardware that software.

BSC

Quote from: norecess on 19:37, 20 June 21Today I'm sharing with you an update on Sonic GX's development !

Wow, Arnaud, this looks utterly great! Much respect to everyone involved. Seems the Plus range is finally gaining some traction. I am massively looking forward to the final game.
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

norecess464

Quote from: Bug Powell on 16:17, 28 July 21
norecess: it would be truly amazing if you plan to make a cpc version too.

Hehe. The Amstrad Plus' ASIC chip is at the core of Sonic GX's game engine. It relies on hardware sprites, pixel-precise horizontal / vertical scrollings, screen split techniques, scanline interrupts, audio facilities through DMA channels, 4096 palette, hardware sprite multiplexing etc etc.

In its current form, it's impossible to convert this game to the regular Amstrad CPC.

norecess464

Not sure what will be my next Amstrad project. One project at a time... and let's finish this one first.  :)

Animalgril987