News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Pac-Man emulator for CPC

Started by TotO, 23:01, 01 April 12

Previous topic - Next topic

ervin

WOW! Absolutely remarkable!

I presume that pacman.bin contains "layer" or "driver" code to process/interpret the roms?
And it still runs really well!

It really puts other pacman games on the cpc to shame, especially considering that the others ran native cpc code.

Executioner

Quote from: ervin on 00:49, 05 April 12
WOW! Absolutely remarkable!

I presume that pacman.bin contains "layer" or "driver" code to process/interpret the roms?
And it still runs really well!

It really puts other pacman games on the cpc to shame, especially considering that the others ran native cpc code.

I'd assume the driver patches all the calls to place sprites, queue sound etc, (some of which are normally done through RST instructions on the arcade hardware). Are you going to release the source code to the driver? I'd like to see how you emulate the Pacman sound chip.

TotO

I'm surprised that no news was made on the first page of CPC Wiki...
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

SyX

Quote from: Executioner on 01:07, 05 April 12Are you going to release the source code to the driver? I'd like to see how you emulate the Pacman sound chip.
Yes, i will publish the sources in a few weeks, if there is not bug reports or suggestions... but publishing now it will reveal the cheat mode too soon  ;D

The sound chip emulation is exactly to the spectrum version (the sources are in the Simon Owen site), i use an 8KBs table to convert from the sound generated in the arcade to the PSG, of course, the frequencies are calculated for the CPC AY clock.

TFM

Quote from: TotO on 09:12, 05 April 12
I'm surprised that no news was made on the first page of CPC Wiki...

DIY!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

SyX

I have added it, i though that only Gryzor had permission to modify the main cpcwiki page.

00WReX

As others have mentioned the PACMANF version is really nice and smooth...really cool on a real CPC.
Originally I had only tried the normal Namco version...which also run fine, but the Fast version really is good.

Just a quick question to TotO & SyX...how long were you guys working on this, it has turned out really well, you must be pleased with it.
Great work...

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

SyX

Quote from: 00WReX on 10:30, 06 April 12Just a quick question to TotO & SyX...how long were you guys working on this, it has turned out really well, you must be pleased with it.
Great work...
Thanks!!!  :D

Well, the wonderful TotO game graphics were finished before i could write any line of code, i saw them in the thread about the speccy version and i love the arcade feel, i thought it would be a shame that don't make them alive. The next step was asking to Simon Owen permission to base it in his wonderful work with the sam and speccy versions... you can see the roots in the code, but a big part is changed because we need to optimize a lot to use our graphics (bigger and of course, slower to print :P ).

After that i began to code, he made a lovely loading screen (seeing in my CPC attached to TV by scart was one of the best moments for me), the main part of the cpc code was made after the first pair of weeks (middle of december)... and my war to optimize the sprites routines began, there was a lot of pauses in the last 3 months (life -my nephew stole all my free time  :P -, another projects with more priority and well, i'm a lazy coder  ;D ), lucky me TotO is a great person to work in a project and he always is giving a lot of WONDERFUL ideas. The last version of the sprite routines were made during the second half of march, and in the last week we added the raster setting menu, the cheat mode and a lot of micro-optimizations to reduce more the slowdowns.

An important thing, we made a lot of tests in real machine, not only for see that worked correctly; too, for testing ideas that worked better in the real machine attached to CRTs than emulators.

... and a crazy last minutes of the last sunday xDDDD

00WReX

Thanks for the reply SyX, that's great  :D

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

khisanth

hehe it actually works!

DARKGATE

:) Great!!!, but i have a problem, after wich i have made the disk (WORK PERFECTLY) i have tried to convert in a file .CDT.
The file .cdt work only for the screen of presentation, but the game don't load anymore, someone can help me for made a TAPE VERSION? Thank you. :)
Do not underestimate the power of AMSTRAD CPC.

Gryzor

[off-topic]No, it's open to everyone as you have seen :) It's just that, usually, it's me who does the update son the homepage, so I guess people assume I'm the only one who can do it. But, there are times where I don't have the time to do it so some things may lag behind...

When this is the case, btw, it's better to send me a PM or an email or something; "complaining" in a forum thread will probably not get much attention when I don't visit :D

Cheers
T
Quote from: SyX on 18:58, 05 April 12

I have added it, i though that only Gryzor had permission to modify the main cpcwiki page.

DARKGATE

Quote from: DARKGATE on 09:01, 09 April 12
:) Great!!!, but i have a problem, after wich i have made the disk (WORK PERFECTLY) i have tried to convert in a file .CDT.
The file .cdt work only for the screen of presentation, but the game don't load anymore, someone can help me for made a TAPE VERSION? Thank you. :)

:( Please someone can help me?
I want play the game on my real CPC 464 with RAM, the .cdt file don't work me, a PM message if there are problems, thank you.

SyX

Tape version? Well, i never though about it. But you can use the files in the DSK that i have attached, you need to put the files in the following order PACMAN.BAS + ROM_FILES  + PACMAN.BIN.

If you have any problem, tell me. Because it's a fast hack for an user with a Hard Disk & BonnyDOS. Is there an emulator that support an HD image and BonnyDOS, anybody??? I'm not able to make it work in WinAPE, or if somebody can send me an HD image that works in WinAPE, i'll be very grateful  ;)

TFM

Ok, for people who don't know where to get the ROM images:

- Take the above DSK
- Read its DIRectory using FutureOS
- Mark the four files at user &E5
- Click REName icon and change the four files user number back to &00
- Reset CPC, start PacMan and have fun

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

Nice easter egg...  ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

DARKGATE

:) Thank you, hope of make a tape version in this week, if i have problems write here, thank you again.  :)

DARKGATE

:D Thank you, now i have made the PACMAN.cdt file, work perfectly, i haven't tried on my real CPC 464 with RAM, but when made the real tape, put a photo here  ;D .
However there are many slowdown when play it  :( .

TotO

Quote from: DARKGATE on 16:59, 11 April 12
However there are many slowdown when play it  :(
You overestimated the power of AMSTRAD CPC.

TFM

However there are many slowdown when play it  :( .

That's the CAI[nb]CPC Artificial Intelligence (c) and (cpc) by SyX[/nb]. It analyzes the way the player moves the PacMan itself, and depending on the way the player plays it will adjust the speed to support players with delayed senses. It happens to me all the time  ;) :laugh: . But there are the "f" versions of the ROMs in which the CAI variable is set to "f"alse, so they will run at full speed.
TFM of FutureSoft

SyX

:D Thank you, now i have made the PACMAN.cdt file, work perfectly, i haven't tried on my real CPC 464 with RAM, but when made the real tape, put a photo here  ;D .
Thanks!!! :D

Quote from: DARKGATE on 16:59, 11 April 12However there are many slowdown when play it  :( .
It's strange, it could be related to the emu that you are using...

There is slowdowns, but nothing too bad for making the experience not enjoyable. It plays very well in real cpc and the emulators that i used to develop it (winape + caprice).

Joseman

Hi

This is awesome, good work!!

One question, how can i play piranha?

the game has the 4kb roms split in 2kb roms, i assume that merge de 2kb files back to 4kb files is needed, but, what is the order 2kb+2kb and how rename correctly the resultant roms?.

TotO

Quote from: Joseman on 00:17, 16 April 12One question, how can i play piranha?

the game has the 4kb roms split in 2kb roms, i assume that merge de 2kb files back to 4kb files is needed, but, what is the order 2kb+2kb and how rename correctly the resultant roms?.
I think that you may search for another set with the good size files.

SyX

Quote from: Joseman on 00:17, 16 April 12
One question, how can i play piranha?
Of course, you can :)

The correct order is:
pir1 +pir5 = pacman.6e
pir2 +pir6 = pacman.6f
pir3 +pir7 = pacman.6h
pir4 +pir8 = pacman.6j

If you have any problem with another clone, split the pacman roms in 2048 bytes and you will see the characteristic binary patterns (Enter the Matrix  ;D )