News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

BATMAN GROUP - OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT -

Started by Rhino, 20:58, 17 December 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Targhan

I think it's understandable that people using your code should give you credits for it. As an author of codes that many people used (STarkos player, Arkos Tracker 1 & 2, FDC toolkit), it is important to me that my work gets credit because it motivates me, as selfish as it may sound.

@Ast it's a bit too easy to say "it's just screen splitting", "cheers!". If tomorrow a beta tester of IMPDraw releases its own graphic tool including your code, you wouldn't be as cheerful I bet. Just like I'm pretty sure you expect people to thank you for your tutorials.

I remember, a long time ago, someone stole one of my music during a meeting, made another song that sounded almost exactly the same and released it before I could release mine. I really felt betrayed, even though it was only a CPC song. Trust is, I think, something important in our microcosm.

Now I hope everything will settle between Rhino and the 4Mhz guys... But even though it happens, trust will be lost in the way.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

mr_lou

Quote from: Targhan on 22:37, 18 December 18
@Ast it's a bit too easy to say "it's just screen splitting", "cheers!". If tomorrow a beta tester of IMPDraw releases its own graphic tool including your code, you wouldn't be as cheerful I bet.

And in this age, you shouldn't be surprised if someone decides to do just that, in a classic "I know better than you" attempt to teach you a lesson. Good thing you'll be fine with it, because you can just "publish and share your IMPDraw code" - and then all will be fine, right?  ;)

(And you should probably think twice before coming up with a snappy comeback to that one - because I'm not kidding: There are people out there with nothing better to do with their time).

TomEtJerry

Quote from: Targhan on 22:37, 18 December 18
I remember, a long time ago, someone stole one of my music during a meeting, made another song that sounded almost exactly the same and released it before I could release mine. I really felt betrayed, even though it was only a CPC song. Trust is, I think, something important in our microcosm.

I remember that :-). Don't worry, the carbon copy was so badly done that everyone has noticed it !

Rhino, I just hope that this pathetic affair (there will always be people ready to take your work without any recognition) will not be a reason to delay the launch of Pinball dreams.

XeNoMoRPH

I only wish, that both teams will be united again, I have great appreciation for both  :(
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Rhino

Xifos

If i read correctly, it ends well ?
:)

@Rhino : This horizontal scrolling engine you did, it's a new way of managing the hardware scrolling on cpc old ?
And you are using it for vertical scrolling in pinball dreams ?

XeNoMoRPH

Quote from: Rhino on 16:45, 19 December 18
Here's our response and resolution to this soap opera on our part:

http://www.joycogames.com/retro/comunicados/19_12_2018_en.html

this is what I expected to read, thanks  :o
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Skunkfish

Excellent, I like a happy ending!
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Carnivius

Yay! It's christmas after all. :)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Rhino

Quote from: Xifos on 16:57, 19 December 18
If i read correctly, it ends well ?
:)

@Rhino : This horizontal scrolling engine you did, it's a new way of managing the hardware scrolling on cpc old ?
And you are using it for vertical scrolling in pinball dreams ?
The vertical scroll of pinball dreams and the horizontal scroll of the Mario's demo have some things in common, both are pixel precision, multidirectional and multispeed but they are very different techniques.
Horizontal scrolling is a mixture of known techniques that, as a whole, we can say it is a new technique, at least in games.

jesusdelmas

Quote from: Rhino on 18:46, 20 December 18
The vertical scroll of pinball dreams and the horizontal scroll of the Mario's demo have some things in common, both are pixel precision, multidirectional and multispeed but they are very different techniques.
Horizontal scrolling is a mixture of known techniques that, as a whole, we can say it is a new technique, at least in games.

Hi Rhino!

And how was your improvement on the pixel precision scrollinh to the byte precision scrolling? Ypu sayd that it will improve the frame rate even more. (Thing that i agree)

Rhino

Quote from: jesusdelmas on 19:11, 20 December 18

Hi Rhino!

And how was your improvement on the pixel precision scrollinh to the byte precision scrolling? Ypu sayd that it will improve the frame rate even more. (Thing that i agree)
The precision of the scroll you need is related to the fps of your game, below 25fps a scroll with pixel precision doesn't make much sense since it can be too slow for many games. The maximum benefit that you can get from a pixel precision scroll is to make it multispeed and at 50fps, which is what really represents a challenge in CPC.
Once you have pixel precision, converting a horizontal scrolling engine from pixel to bytes is very simple, since you only have to remove the part that makes it complicated and restrictive.

jesusdelmas

Quote from: Rhino on 19:45, 20 December 18
The precision of the scroll you need is related to the fps of your game, below 25fps a scroll with pixel precision doesn't make much sense since it can be too slow for many games. The maximum benefit that you can get from a pixel precision scroll is to make it multispeed and at 50fps, which is what really represents a challenge in CPC.
Once you have pixel precision, converting a horizontal scrolling engine from pixel to bytes is very simple, since you only have to remove the part that makes it complicated and restrictive.

Oh i see, thanks for your answer, and do you see an improvement in the fps after converting.it form pixel precision to byte precision or it depends of the kind of game?

Rhino

Quote from: jesusdelmas on 20:29, 20 December 18

Oh i see, thanks for your answer, and do you see an improvement in the fps after converting.it form pixel precision to byte precision or it depends of the kind of game?
In horizontal software scrolling, at byte level it will be much faster but in any case there is a high cpu consumption and the game will normally have a low fps.
In hardware scrolling both variants have almost no cpu consumption but in horizontal hardware scrolling usually there is a small additional cost when drawing sprites.

jesusdelmas

Quote from: Rhino on 21:07, 21 December 18
In horizontal software scrolling, at byte level it will be much faster but in any case there is a high cpu consumption and the game will normally have a low fps.
In hardware scrolling both variants have almost no cpu consumption but in horizontal hardware scrolling usually there is a small additional cost when drawing sprites.

Good to know, i see that for  hardware scroll byte precission scrolling is a bit faster, are you planing to do another game after pinball dreams?

Rhino

Quote from: jesusdelmas on 00:10, 23 December 18

are you planing to do another game after pinball dreams?

Sure! We'll tell more about it after the release of Pinball Dreams.