News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Chase HQ2 on youtube

Started by steve, 23:19, 19 January 13

Previous topic - Next topic

steve

I was looking at GX4000.CO.UK - The site for the Amstrad GX4000 console! Welcome... and saw the news that there was a video showing the cartridge running on a 6128PLUS here Amstrad GX4000 Chase HQ 2: Special Criminal Investigation

Gryzor

Yeah... also notice the user name :D

steve

What about the user name?

TotO

The user asked to remove the embedded youtube link, so it's not possible to watch the video on other place than his youtube post, where he disabled the comments too.

For me, you will never get a dump, because he his not enough intelligent to understand that his cartridge will never lose its value. ROM or not to save the content.

So, he can die with, if it not die before him...  :-*
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

Maybe he wants to create a myth about this cart game (which is in fact not soooo good).

But - hey - they didn't sell only one copy of the game, right? Next time I'm back in EU I have to check out some landfills - maybe I will find the other copy there :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Quote from: steveWhat about the user name?
"TheOppositeOfJesus". Jesus6128 is (was, not the username has been changed I think) a spanish eBay user that pays insane prices for CPC gear, hoarding rare stuff away. TheOppositeOfJesus would probably suggest that this owner wouldn't want to just hoard it, but then again what do I know... certainly not much about scene politics.

MaV

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:58, 22 January 13
TheOppositeOfJesus would probably suggest that this owner wouldn't want to just hoard it, but then again what do I know... certainly not much about scene politics.
The way he did this video suggests that he's doing his best to follow into the footsteps of Jesus6128.

Does anyone care about a badly done video of that game? I know I don't. I suggest we call Chase H.Q. II a legend until one of the supposedly two cartridges is finally backed-up for the common good. Video or not, it might as well just not exist.
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:58, 22 January 13
"TheOppositeOfJesus". Jesus6128 is (was, not the username has been changed I think) a spanish eBay user that pays insane prices for CPC gear, hoarding rare stuff away. TheOppositeOfJesus would probably suggest that this owner wouldn't want to just hoard it, but then again what do I know... certainly not much about scene politics.
I know "Jesus6128" payed crazy prices, but I don't believe it was hoarded away so that nobody could access it.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

McKlain

So, he has one of the few copies of a game for a console that sold poorly. Also the game looks like shit. Congratulations.

Anyway, I don't think that there were only 2 copies of the game produced (full package, cartridge, industrial duplication... makes no sense, at least to me), so the thing is where is the rest of the batch of this game.

TotO

I you really want CHASE HQ II on your CPC+, better to do the port from the arcade version and really enjoy it. ;)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

MaV

@McKlain: Well, according to our wiki two are known to exist. And you're right, it stands to reason that there must have been a lot more.

Chase HQ II: Special Criminal Investigation - CPCWiki

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

MartynC

I guess no one is in doubt, but just in case, I can confirm that the video is legit. It's identical to the copy James Bridges loaned me for the Retro Gamer article a few years back.

As you can see, the game really isn't that good  :(

Gryzor

Ah, thanks for that, Martyn!

I wonder how on earth they managed to make it so slower. What was it witht hem?

Bryce

Quote from: MartynC on 14:58, 23 January 13
I guess no one is in doubt, but just in case, I can confirm that the video is legit. It's identical to the copy James Bridges loaned me for the Retro Gamer article a few years back.

As you can see, the game really isn't that good  :(

And you didn't dump the ROM !?!?

Bryce.

MartynC

Quote from: Bryce on 16:25, 23 January 13
And you didn't dump the ROM !?!?

Bryce.
Ha! It was James's express wish that the cartridge wasn't tampered with in any way. IIRC, at the time, the only way to dump the cart was to open it up, and he didn't want to do that.

However, I should have captured a decent quality video playthrough. My mistake.

One thing about that video - the player is a bit rubbish! I recall playing through to the last level (the one where you chase a truck) on my first go.

Bryce

Hmmm, pity. It's actually very easy to dump a cartridge without opening it. If you get the chance to borrow it again, let me know and I'll build you a simple device to do it.

Bryce.

Devilmarkus

Quote from: Bryce on 17:02, 23 January 13
Hmmm, pity. It's actually very easy to dump a cartridge without opening it. If you get the chance to borrow it again, let me know and I'll build you a simple device to do it.

+1 that!
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

McKlain

TotO

Don't be afraid !!!
Dumping a CPC+ cartridge is "just" reading it. It's not like a JAMMA board. :)

Gryzor

Oh hey, I think Likes are back :D

TFM

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:12, 23 January 13
Ah, thanks for that, Martyn!

I wonder how on earth they managed to make it so slower. What was it witht hem?

Haha, well it's not soooo bad. And when a car is moving through 3D it talkes a lot of cpu power. Furthermore we know about these speccy ports :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Nich

Quote from: MaV on 17:11, 22 January 13
@McKlain: Well, according to our wiki two are known to exist. And you're right, it stands to reason that there must have been a lot more.
I know that a mail order company called WAVE advertised in Amstrad Action in around 1993, offering Chase HQ II cartridges for sale. What a shame that I didn't buy one (or indeed, a few) at the time - but I didn't (and still don't) own a Plus machine or a GX4000! :D

TFM

Well, for selling one CHQII cart you could now get lots of Plus and GX  ;)  On the other hand you still have good Karma :)
TFM of FutureSoft

Badstarr

Even if the game is rubbish it should be dumped and preserved for posterity. There may be a few who actually like it I'm sure some of the games I love to load up on my CPC would fall under the "crap" heading but its up to me to "likes what I likes".

If I won the lottery or through some other way became a multi millionaire (I'm working on it honestly ;-)) I would offer a bounty for a cartridge and as soon as it was in my hands it would be dumped and within minutes on the wiki for all to enjoy or to pour scorn upon.

I look at it like this, I had Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream on CD for years I also copied it to tape and later my iPod to me those copies had no value. I like to collect the vinyl versions of my favourite albums and I happily paid £45 for an unopened copy of the same album on vinyl. A few weeks after buying it a vinyl reissue was released (albeit with a different cover) which was available for around £26.

The point is that my vinyl copy is still worth £45-50. It's value hasn't changed to me either. The CD, tape copy and mp3 versions haven't changed its value, there is no substitute for dropping a stylus on a vinyl record and I happily paid a premium for that but the songs are still great on tape or mp3. In the same way we all like to own a 6128 or a Plus machine etc and we will pay some high prices to do just that even though we can use an emulator and that costs us nothing.

I suppose in a nutshell I'm saying a rom dump has no inherent value but the original cartridge always will. The only thing that could change that is if a secret cache of unopened copies are ever found and things like that do happen! The only downside is that some dodgy people on eBay might make bootlegs and try to pass them off as original.

Just my thoughts on the matter!
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

TFM

Ok, so if this guy who bought the CHQII Cart will not allow to dump it then we will flood ebay with 100 carts of that kind and then he is fecked :P
TFM of FutureSoft