News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC Club (CPC Whatsapp Group)

Started by DoctorCPC, 21:46, 06 June 21

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorCPC

I created a CPC whatsapp group. currently only logiker and I are in the group. If anyone wants to have a CPC chat, please write via private message. I will send whatsapp link. so we can always have the conversation about CPC between us.
note: if you want to join whatsapp group, you can write me direct. my number: +905554983655
and i can add you on cpc whatsapp group.
My Amstrad Products: Amstrad CPC 464, Amstrad CPC 6128, Schneider CPC 6128, Amstrad NC 100, Amstrad HiFi EX330, Amstrad Fidelity CKX100 Music Keyboard, Amstrad Penpad 600, Amstrad Emailer Plus, Amstrad E3 Emailer, Amstrad VCR Programmable Remote Control, Amstrad DVD/Divx Player, Amstrad GT 65, Schneider CTM640

CPC Hardware: USIFACII, M4Wifi, ZMEM, MotherX4, GOTEK, PS2 Mouse Adapter, RSF3 (Soon), DES Mini (Soon)
PCW Hardware: GOTEK, PCWIO, uIDE (Soon), uRTC (Soon)

Editor-In-Chief / ACUC Magazine - Amstrad CPC User Club Magazine (Soon)
www.dizzyradio.com  / Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64, Amiga and Other Home Computer's Musics
www.cpcuserclub.com / +90 555 498 36 55 for adding WhatsApp Group

Gryzor

Whatsapp? People still use it after all the privacy backlash? What happened to say, Signal? :)

DoctorCPC

I created a whatsapp group because most people still use whatsapp. most of my friends do not have the signal application installed. I thought it would at least be a start.
My Amstrad Products: Amstrad CPC 464, Amstrad CPC 6128, Schneider CPC 6128, Amstrad NC 100, Amstrad HiFi EX330, Amstrad Fidelity CKX100 Music Keyboard, Amstrad Penpad 600, Amstrad Emailer Plus, Amstrad E3 Emailer, Amstrad VCR Programmable Remote Control, Amstrad DVD/Divx Player, Amstrad GT 65, Schneider CTM640

CPC Hardware: USIFACII, M4Wifi, ZMEM, MotherX4, GOTEK, PS2 Mouse Adapter, RSF3 (Soon), DES Mini (Soon)
PCW Hardware: GOTEK, PCWIO, uIDE (Soon), uRTC (Soon)

Editor-In-Chief / ACUC Magazine - Amstrad CPC User Club Magazine (Soon)
www.dizzyradio.com  / Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64, Amiga and Other Home Computer's Musics
www.cpcuserclub.com / +90 555 498 36 55 for adding WhatsApp Group

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:48, 07 June 21
Whatsapp? People still use it after all the privacy backlash? What happened to say, Signal? :)

Weren't the EU exempt from that snoop update because it violates GDPR law?
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

Really not sure. But there are ways around GDPR if you cloak your snooping under legitimate reasons and get consent... anyone read the whole T&Cs recently? :D

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:14, 08 June 21
Really not sure. But there are ways around GDPR if you cloak your snooping under legitimate reasons and get consent... anyone read the whole T&Cs recently? :D

Facebook would be really stupid to even try that with Whatsapp after the shit they landed themselves in with EU law a few years back.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

Oh yes, I'm sure FB has been chastened and won't be a bad boy any more :D

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:28, 08 June 21
Oh yes, I'm sure FB has been chastened and won't be a bad boy any more :D

Could say the same about almost every internet company to be fair.  :laugh:

trocoloco

Quote from: DoctorCPC on 06:51, 08 June 21
I created a whatsapp group because most people still use whatsapp. most of my friends do not have the signal application installed. I thought it would at least be a start.

Why not use Telegram for an Amstrad group instead?

Gryzor

Here's a crazy idea! What about IRC? Or, or - just hear me out on this, a forum? :D

eto

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:53, 08 June 21
Here's a crazy idea! What about IRC? Or, or - just hear me out on this, a forum? :D

Telnet chat server? Then even a real CPC could participate ;-)

Gryzor

This gave me the idea of a theme-able chat app - I'd love if it I could have an app on my mobile I could use to chat, which would be themed after a CPC monitor.

eto

And now seriously: I will not join a Whatsapp group or similar as I prefer the asynchronous communication of the Forum or Facebook groups. Whatsapp is not good for asynchronous communication. If you don't participate immediately, it's almost impossible to understand the context, e.g. after a few hours. Even worse: topics are not organised.

A chat is great for (near) real time collaboration, not so much for experience exchange.

Gryzor

That's why I don't get why people use the big social media for such discussions. I don't see what a FB group -for instance- or a chat has to add in terms of features, while I can see all those drawbacks...

True, sometimes it's fun if you've got the time, but real-time has very limited use I think...

eto

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:10, 08 June 21a FB group

FB has one BIG advantage over the forum: the quantity. The forum probably is joined by the core of the community and in terms of quality, it leaves FB easily behind. But the many people that are just loosely following what is going on, are more likely to be found on Facebook. And with them, many announcements for stuff that is going on.

Gryzor

Oh I know, don't get me wrong; you're casually browsing Facebook after the kids have fallen asleep or at the dentist's and someone tags you to join a relevant group, sweet, this should be fun! I'm not arguing with that. But there are lots of people who are really and deeply active and involved with the scene who prefer those media... that's what I don't get, but oh well I guess I'm growing old.

Devlin

I like forums, at least in some cases the site(s) get archived by IA or whatever, and you get a relatively useful repository of information.

I like "live" media platforms like Discord too, because you can just spark up a conversation with whoever's there.

What I do not like (sorry) is whatsapp. it's reserved for family and friends(i've met irl and know well) because my mobile number I like to keep as private as reasonably possible
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

mr_lou

I can't really see any big difference between a Discord server and a forum like this one.

I know Discord is supposed to be a chat, but let's be honest. We know that the only ones who contribute to any conversation are the ones who are currently there - but that's just like it is on the forum too, isn't it? You gotta be online. When you get online both platforms lets you contribute to the ongoing conversation/thread. Just scroll up/down to see what other users wrote.
On both platforms you can choose to be notified when someone writes anything. Either with a popup or an e-mail.
You can tag specific users for them to be notified - also on both platforms.

The only real difference, as far as I can see, is that conversations aren't indexed into threads like on a forum. But Discord servers are always split into several channels for different categories of chat, so that's kinda the same.

But this is coming from a guy who still doesn't understand why everyone turned their back to MMS in favor of other services who offered the exact same feature, as if there wasn't already an option to send pictures to each other....

trocoloco

why not use also other ways of communicating? free choice and nobody forces us to use them, the more variety the better.

There is a Spanish Telegram group CPC related with over 300+ people called Amstrad Power.  I know... crazy stuff when you have a forum right?  ;D

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: mr_lou on 16:41, 08 June 21
But this is coming from a guy who still doesn't understand why everyone turned their back to MMS in favor of other services who offered the exact same feature, as if there wasn't already an option to send pictures to each other....

Mainly cost.
To send a photo via MMS on a regular basis, it will show up on your phone bill at the end of the month (or eats up your prepaid credit). Whereas using the likes of Whatsapp, FB messenger etc it just comes out of your data allowance.

It really is that simple.

mr_lou

Well it may vary from country to country of course, but here in Denmark everyone just pays a quarterly fee, and then has unlimited messages - including MMS.
At least it's still possible to send MMS. It's still the only method I use for sending pictures.

Gryzor

Quote from: mr_lou on 16:41, 08 June 21
I can't really see any big difference between a Discord server and a forum like this one.

I know Discord is supposed to be a chat,

You answered yourself - it *is* a chat. The fact that the same people are on both media doesn't make them the same. Saying "you gotta be online" to equate synchronous and asynchronous communication and participation is... pretty weak. I mean, nobody even positions chat systems like Discord as a forum equivalent, I don't know how you do it :D You can also search wikipedia, and you can also participate and contribute there, does that make Discord or a forum the equivalent of Wikipedia? Just because you can scroll? Not to mention the channels - at the very best channels would be the equivalent of subfora, not discussions, but for the love of god you can't, again, equate the two!

mr_lou

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:52, 09 June 21
I mean, nobody even positions chat systems like Discord as a forum equivalent, I don't know how you do it :D
So what are we doing right now, if not chatting?Replying to each other here, minutes apart? What's that called?
For me, that's a chat no different from those I have on Discord. Just on another platform. Otherwise no difference whatsoever.

Gryzor

Oh yes, minutes apart.

"Quote from: mr_lou on Yesterday at 18:41:04"

I got a reply notification in another thread, another member quoted a message of mine from 2016 but sure, let's say that's real-time chatting!

mr_lou

That can happen on Discord too. Still a chat.