News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

#CPCRetroDev 2015: Complete Results and Games

Started by ronaldo, 20:14, 17 June 15

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_lou

I have a question regarding that 1-minute video that is reguired for us to make.

I can't seem to make WinAPE behave. I've tried 3 different codecs to far, and they all result in very slow jerky useless videos.

Would it be ok to simply record the monitor with a cellphone or something?

ronaldo

@mr_lou: When dealing with WinAPE to save video, for me is always easier to use any screencast software or similar. Camtasia, Fraps, or any software that lets you save video from a part of the screen would be okay.

Take into account that this video will be uploaded to youtube and used as a way to present and promote your game. Also, if you happen to be selected, your video may be shown at the projection screen. I think these are good reasons to try to create the nicest possible video. That's also the reason why we ask you to do it: we prefer you to create what you think is a nice video. We may create the videos, but we think your criteria is important in this sense.

mr_lou

Quote from: ronaldo on 21:21, 04 October 15
@mr_lou: When dealing with WinAPE to save video, for me is always easier to use any screencast software or similar. Camtasia, Fraps, or any software that lets you save video from a part of the screen would be okay.

The irony is that I wanted to use WinAPE's own video-save function precisely to get the best possible video (i.e. no lost frames).
Using capture software often results in lost frames because there's no sync between the capture software and the emulator.

Anyway, I have to record a lot of videos for my project 8bit Stories too. I'm wondering what it'll cost to buy equipment that'll let me record from the real machine.....
Obviously I won't be able to buy this in time though, so I'll probably just use the screen capture thingy as you suggest.

TFM

Wait the programmer must provides such a video? So without having a camera or a PC with emulator I can't participate? That's a bummer!
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

EgoTrip

Quote from: mr_lou on 21:04, 04 October 15
I have a question regarding that 1-minute video that is reguired for us to make.

I can't seem to make WinAPE behave. I've tried 3 different codecs to far, and they all result in very slow jerky useless videos.

Would it be ok to simply record the monitor with a cellphone or something?

I just used WinAPE to record my video, as its only a minute I used uncompressed format and converted it to an MP4 (although the quality of the MP4 was crap in order to fit in with the 12mb limitation)

mr_lou

Quote from: TFM on 15:07, 05 October 15
Wait the programmer must provides such a video? So without having a camera or a PC with emulator I can't participate? That's a bummer!

Or you could ask someone to do it for you, which is probably what I have to do in the end....

Quote from: EgoTrip on 16:37, 05 October 15
I just used WinAPE to record my video, as its only a minute I used uncompressed format and converted it to an MP4 (although the quality of the MP4 was crap in order to fit in with the 12mb limitation)

Doing that here (on my girlfriend's PC) just doesn't work at all. It's very unstable regarding framerate.

EgoTrip

I understand you want a good quality video but really, its not going to be authored to Blu Ray or anything, its just going to be shown on Youtube, and will be heavily compressed to be less than 12mb too. As long as its watchable I don't think it matters.

mr_lou

Quote from: EgoTrip on 18:38, 05 October 15
I understand you want a good quality video but really, its not going to be authored to Blu Ray or anything, its just going to be shown on Youtube, and will be heavily compressed to be less than 12mb too. As long as its watchable I don't think it matters.

I just want a steady 50 fps throughout the whole recording, instead of 21 fps one second and 48 fps the next - and it skips frames, meaning the speed of the game on the video is just a mess.

It has helped to change some settings in WinAPE, but there are still some hickups.

TFM

Well, it's not fair to have a great game and then suffer from poor recording. I understand Mr. Lou's POV. But I'm afraid a the end referees will judge rather the youtube video instead of the real game on real machine.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

EgoTrip

I am pretty sure the judges will be playing them on real hardware. That's the impression I've got anyway.

Dubliner

Quote from: TFM on 18:56, 05 October 15
But I'm afraid a the end referees will judge rather the youtube video instead of the real game on real machine.

Totally nope.

||C|-|E||

Good luck to the participants! The next year, if we have finished it, we will present our adventure!  :D We are working hard but at the end something that started like a simple project is a gargantuan game now  :picard:

Prodatron

OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) is working fine for recording videos with full quality from WinApe.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft

Dubliner

ronaldo

Well, I can ensure you that jury won't judge based on videos. I act as chairman and won't handle them the videos. Moreover, judges have great knowledge of the machine, their limitations, existing games and software and some of them even have collaborated on homebrew projects. As humans, they'll always be subject to their own preferences, but will have clear criteria to evaluate.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that no single possible result will be agreed by everybody. That's live! It's tough! ;)

reidrac

Quote from: ronaldo on 21:23, 05 October 15
Well, I can ensure you that jury won't judge based on videos. I act as chairman and won't handle them the videos. Moreover, judges have great knowledge of the machine, their limitations, existing games and software and some of them even have collaborated on homebrew projects. As humans, they'll always be subject to their own preferences, but will have clear criteria to evaluate.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that no single possible result will be agreed by everybody. That's live! It's tough! ;)

I'm sure the jury will do the best they can,  but that "judges have great knowledge of the machine" made me chuckle ("El mundo del Spectrum" are part of the jury, and that's a podcast focusing on the Spectrum; no doubt they're experts on the Amstrad CPC too ;D).

Anyway, whoever is joining the compo should do it for fun and to release a new homebrew to the community. At least that's what I think :)
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Bryce

Why can't a Spectrum fan have a great knowledge of the Amstrad too? I happen to be quite a Spectrum fan, I own every version except for the QL and I like to think I know quite a bit about Amstrads too.

Bryce.

TFM

Well, if Ronaldo  tells that they will watch on the real machine first then I'm fine with that. Else it would be about who can afford the most quickest PC and software for recording. Sadly I saw the negative impact of money before (in the German CPC scene). So being concerned is imho just understandable. But I'm settled down now. :)
TFM of FutureSoft

reidrac

Quote from: Bryce on 22:11, 05 October 15
Why can't a Spectrum fan have a great knowledge of the Amstrad too? I happen to be quite a Spectrum fan, I own every version except for the QL and I like to think I know quite a bit about Amstrads too.

Bryce.

There's no reason to not know both systems, I agree. However I find interesting their selection as members of the jury, as they're well known for their coverage of a different system and not the Amstrad CPC.

As I said, I'm sure every member of the jury will do their best!
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Bryce on 22:11, 05 October 15

Bryce.

If WorldofSpectrum didn't exist, I would of had less knowledge regarding Multi-Platform Magazines, which in turn would of resulted in fewer programs.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

TFM

Or maybe just fewer for Speccy and more for the CPC (in other cases). That's all a discussion about the prophets beard.  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft

ervin

A bunch of screenshots from this year's entries are appearing on twitter (#cpcretrodev).
There are some games I'm really looking forward to trying!
I'm very excited to be joining them (assuming I can finish my game in time)!

ronaldo

9 entries already submitted, and many to come. Hope your last ~53 hours are profitable :D

[attachimg=1]

Enjoy #CPCRetroDev 2015!

mr_lou

We're having a little bit of trouble getting our zip down to 12 mb. It's currently 15.7mb.
Are you very strict about that?