News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

#CPCRetroDev 2015: Complete Results and Games

Started by ronaldo, 20:14, 17 June 15

Previous topic - Next topic

cngsoft

Quote from: reidrac on 19:49, 23 October 15
I did it! Just submitted Space Pest Control CPC Reto Dev edition! :)

I plays really nice on the CPC!

Juan op Twitter: "yes! Space Pest Control is GOLD! #amstrad cpc #cpcretrodev
It can play nice, but does it have cool box art?

/friendly_banter_mode off
(if you can't see the banner right now my server is currently offline)

Optimus

Well, maybe I should post this preview video of unfinished game for the compo, even if we never even have been close to start coding some actual gameplay.
Also, this is not what we have now, there are some new graphics, few improvements in the engine, but still no sprite routine for enemies/items. This video must be an unpublished private video from July. We worked a bit more since then and I have a graphic artist for it so far.
At least the compo motivated me to work on the old engine code after five years. I am thinking of finishing the RPG version of the planned game hopefully inside 2016.

Carnivius

Quote from: cngsoft on 21:05, 23 October 15
It can play nice, but does it have cool box art?

/friendly_banter_mode off

You, sir, are one of my favourite game developers and that includes all the non-CPC developers too.  I already love Frogalot and I haven't even played it yet.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

ervin

Quote from: reidrac on 19:49, 23 October 15
I did it! Just submitted Space Pest Control CPC Reto Dev edition! :)

I plays really nice on the CPC!

Juan op Twitter: "yes! Space Pest Control is GOLD! #amstrad cpc #cpcretrodev

Excellent! You did it!!!

TFM

Looks like this time we all can look forward to a lot of great game!  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

ronaldo

Submissions closed! Jury is now evaluating the impressive amount of 35 entries! This is a new huge record of participants!

#CPCRetroDev 2015: new record of contestants

Thanks a million
to all for participating and contributing to this event, and good luck to all! :D

mr_lou

35 entries. How many tapes will that require?  :)

Gryzor

Whoa man, how much eye candy... Gotta have them all!

mr_lou

Considering how pressed for time everyone is because of fulltime jobs and family etc, everone might as well get started on their entry for next year now.  ;)

ronaldo

Quote from: mr_lou on 05:01, 24 October 15
35 entries. How many tapes will that require?  :)
Hope that 2 tapes are enough for all the games, but I haven't done calculations yet  ::)

cngsoft

Quote from: ronaldo on 17:48, 24 October 15
Hope that 2 tapes are enough for all the games, but I haven't done calculations yet  ::)
They should ask me to make compactages of those games, I already have some experience on the field. I'd record the tapes with giant blocks without pauses, too.

EgoTrip

Quote from: cngsoft on 22:00, 24 October 15
They should ask me to make compactages of those games, I already have some experience on the field. I'd record the tapes with giant blocks without pauses, too.

Mine already was done like that, I used a custom loader with lots of pretty colours on the border (forget its name).

ronaldo

Quote from: cngsoft on 22:00, 24 October 15
Thank you for your offer, @cngsoft :). It's, in fact, a great idea. I need to take a look at rules and organization, because I'm not sure if it will be correct to do it this year (need to check it first), but it's definitely worth considering.

I'll speak to you when starting to prepare the master and see what we can do with it, if you don't mind :).

cngsoft

Quote from: ronaldo on 23:07, 24 October 15
Thank you for your offer, @cngsoft :) . It's, in fact, a great idea. I need to take a look at rules and organization, because I'm not sure if it will be correct to do it this year (need to check it first), but it's definitely worth considering.

I'll speak to you when starting to prepare the master and see what we can do with it, if you don't mind :) .
Excellent. As a matter of fact, the binary of "Frogalot" is compressed: 22448 bytes became 11251. The tape version also abused a quirk from the CPC standard tape system: only the first block cannot exceed 2k. In this case, the game was recorded in two blocks, 2k first and 9k next, thus removing the need to store four headers and four inter-block pauses. The recording rate (1600 baud) was also higher than usual, although it may be too much for a typical tape.

By the way, I sent two binaries, the old one has several bugs that were fixed in the new one; the new binary also added a starfield; please discard the old, starfield-less binary. This is how the new binary looks like:

ronaldo

@cngsoft: Don't worry, man. We always use the last version received unless it was sent out-of-time. Yours was sent on-time, so no problem :).

Will see how well does your baud rate when producing the tape. Hope it doesn't give any problem.

ervin

Quote from: ronaldo on 13:13, 25 October 15
@cngsoft: Don't worry, man. We always use the last version received unless it was sent out-of-time. Yours was sent on-time, so no problem :) .

Will see how well does your baud rate when producing the tape. Hope it doesn't give any problem.

Oh... I think I used 2000 baud when creating my CDT.  :doh:
Please let me know if it causes problems for the tape.

ronaldo

Well, shouldn't be any problem, as SPEED WRITE 1 is 2000 baud and it normally works well (unless you use a really bad quality tape).

Ygdrazil

Really nice with so many interesting entries...  :P 

Hope there will be a compo next year also... I might be tempted to submit something then, if time permits!

Regards,
/Ygdrazil

reidrac

Quote from: ronaldo on 13:37, 25 October 15
Well, shouldn't be any problem, as SPEED WRITE 1 is 2000 baud and it normally works well (unless you use a really bad quality tape).

Because I wasn't completely sure of what I was doing I went for the safest option (2KB blocks) and the game loads in 3m 30s :(

I just tried CAS READ and it went down to 2m 10s; I'm yet to test it in my CPC, but if it's reliable I guess 3.30 is a total waste. Sorry!
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

ronaldo

Jury has decided and nominations are now public!
If any of you is part of the nominees and you haven't received an email with details, please do contact cpcretrodev@byterealms.com.
Congratulations to the nominees!  :D

ervin

Best of luck to all the nominees!

I'm very excited to be amongst the nominess in the PRO category.
I don't fancy my chances of winning, especially against competition like Frogalot, but that's ok.
I'm really honoured that the jury likes my game enough to nominate it!
;D

TFM

Quote from: ronaldo on 10:49, 28 October 15
Jury has decided and nominations are now public!

• Nominations to the #CPCRetroDev 2015 awards
If any of you is part of the nominees and you haven't received an email with details, please do contact cpcretrodev@byterealms.com.
Congratulations to the nominees!  :D

Hi! I see no reason for Ervins RUNCPC not to be nominated in the "Special mention to the Best Technical Achievement:" category. (IMHO he should win there anyway).

I don't know all the other games yet, but he uses 3D calculations, to skip him is imho really wrong!

Don't want to talk to loud here, but I got some experience in making games in 2D and 3D. And everybody ever using a 3D space for a game or demo knows why I bring that up here. So no offense, but it would be just fait to add him. Maybe you can rely this to the jury (I don't know them, some of them are obviously from spectrum... ).  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

ronaldo

@TFM: Well, as you may imagine, asking judges to change their decision after having announced it is completely illegal and also quite unfair. Moreover, doing it on the opinion of a third person, it's even much more questionable. That's something I wouldn't do in any case.

I understand your opinion, and I'm sure that lot of people will share it. However, that's not inherently good or bad: it's just an opinion. I respect it completely, but I'm sure you'll understand that it's impossible to take a decission compatible with everyone's opinion. Judges have made a decision, and if it is based on different criteria, that doesn't make it wrong: it only makes it different. As comparing relative values of technical developments has a high degree of subjectiveness, there is no way to find universally valid criteria. Then, only one has to be used amongst all the possible criteria, and that corresponds to the jury, not to your opinion or my opinion.

I know you have experience on making 2D and 3D games. I also have more than 20 years of experience on that: I've created 2D and 3D engines from scratch and I know the cost. But that doesn't change the point. My criteria counts the same as yours: 0. The only valid criteria in this contest is jury's. Every participant sending their game to the contest accepts the rules, and the rules state clearly that jury's decision is final.

Also, I'd like to ask you not to make assumptions on 1 out of 5 members of the jury being related to a podcast about Spectrum. That seems like an unfair way of discrediting the jury, and seems inappropriate to me. Being related to Spectrum doesn't mean anything about their knowledge on Amstrad: I also like Spectrum, have some of them and have developed things for them myself. That doesn't discredit my Amstrad knowledge and experience.

My personal opinion on the work done by @ervin is that it's incredible in many ways. I've had the opportunity to test it, as I've got to prepare the master for producing the tape, and I really love it. It moves really fast and produces a nice sensation of speed and 3D movement. I'm really happy to see such a great development coming from @ervin and I'm impatient for seeing people's reaction on playing it. However, I reckon that I woldn't be fair if I was to judge it against other productions, as I've followed @ervin's development process and have much more information and relation with him than with others. I'm not able to fairly state that he actually deserves nomination more than others, because I'd be biased. And, like me, I think most of us in this forum would also be biased to favoring @ervin against unknown people.

reidrac

Based on my experience, being member of a jury is tough as your decision will be exposed to everyone's else scrutiny. You know, because "everyone knows best".

Looks like CPC Retro Dev is maturing, some controversy is part of the fun. I'm looking forward to the next edition and hopefully the judges job will be even tougher with even more amazing entries! :)

(from my humble point of view it is quite simple: like it or not, the judges' decision is final. Is part of the rules when you submit a game to the contest!)
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

TFM

Dunno when they finally end their decision process. If they are a bit relaxed, then they may take some more time to get to a more profound result.  :)

Nobody's discrediting the jury. But one of them does know more about Spectrum than CPC - I assume - that's all I stated. The composition is TBH a bit unexpected, but they of course can do it the way they want.  :-\

Well, I didn't say he deserves a nomination more than other, since I haven't seen the other people's prods. But I do think that skipping him for "Tech achievement" is wrong, because there was no other game on CPC ever showing this technique. Therefore I got really surprised and maybe they just forgot to mention him.  :)

However, and that's the point right here. Right here this is a discussion forum and I guess if I can't discuss here any longer it's not a discussion forum any longer. May well be that the judgement of the judges can not be questioned, but I didn't sign that with my blood (even if Helloween come close!), so I share my opinion. I know few people like to give me shit for that, but that's how I am. Thanks for you long answer, you made your POV clear and one can understand it.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft