News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

#CPCRetroDev 2015: Complete Results and Games

Started by ronaldo, 20:14, 17 June 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnivius

I think I need to learn some spanish or something cos some games are lacking english.  I can get by in some menus but when it comes to redefining keys I always seem to pick the wrong ones. :P

Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Neil79

Quote from: Carnivac on 14:09, 02 November 15
I think I need to learn some spanish or something cos some games are lacking english.  I can get by in some menus but when it comes to redefining keys I always seem to pick the wrong ones. :P

Hah yes,  same here
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

robcfg

Any doubt just post it here and I'll provide the translation you need

TFM

Please excuse the question. Are there .DSKs of the games somewhere? That would be *really* helpful.  :) :) :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Neil79

Quote from: TFM on 16:06, 02 November 15
Please excuse the question. Are there .DSKs of the games somewhere? That would be *really* helpful.  :) :) :)

Although we did write it at the bottom of our article, you can download them here - #CPCRetrodev 2015 final results and games

Just click the pictures, it will download a zip, open the zip and it should have a CDT/DSK

8)
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

Gryzor

Strange - even as a child I don't remember ever having trouble with Spanish games, I learned the relevant terms pretty quick!

Carnivius

My fave thing about this contest?   A whole bunch of new games that will run on a standard 464. Here's Frogalot running on my 464 connected to HDTV via SCART.   :)

Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

Gryzor

Huge pixels are the best pixels.

Carnivius

Quote from: Gryzor on 16:20, 02 November 15
Strange - even as a child I don't remember ever having trouble with Spanish games, I learned the relevant terms pretty quick!

I am useless with languages.  Even my native english escapes me sometimes.  :(

TotO

I personaly love the Space Move design and the promising Space Pest Control.   8)

Quote from: Carnivac on 16:21, 02 November 15
My fave thing about this contest?   A whole bunch of new games that will run on a standard 464. Here's Frogalot running on my 464 connected to HDTV via SCART.   :)
A standard 464 is the keyboard unit and its monitor... Here, it just look like an emulator.  ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Carnivius

Quote from: TotO on 16:30, 02 November 15
I personaly love the Space Move design and the promising Space Pest Control.   8)
A standard 464 is the keyboard unit and its monitor... Here, it just look like an emulator.  ;D

Why's everyone gotta be so picky?   It's a CPC 464 with no extra memory or disc drive or whatever.  I don't use the monitor anymore cos there's nowhere to comfortably display that fat little thing so it's in storage.   I like my CPC games on the big screen in front of the comfy with my other most played game systems (the PlayStations & the Amiga).  So nyah!

TotO

Quote from: Carnivac on 16:38, 02 November 15Why's everyone gotta be so picky?
Ask to you first!?  ;D
I'm joking because I was surprised that you was not more picky that I expected.  ;)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Carnivius

More photos of the games running on my 464.  The top two photos came out a bit blurry but it shows they work fine and I haven't time to reload the games and take more pics.  All good stuff though. :)

Carnivius

When converting the CDT's to WAVE files (since Tapdancer failed and kept getting Read Error B) I noticed the filesizes seem quite interesting. 

Frogalot: 3.48MB
Space Pest Control: 5.75MB
RUNCPC: 7.51MB
Space Moves: 13.6MB
Most big commercial CPC games result between 20 and 30MB.  The small size of Frogalot meant I was quite surprised it loaded so fast before I looked at the filesize.  It packs in a fair bit of game, music and nice graphics into that filesize compared to other games.

reidrac

Quote from: Carnivac on 16:58, 02 November 15
When converting the CDT's to WAVE files (since Tapdancer failed and kept getting Read Error B) I noticed the filesizes seem quite interesting.  Frogalot: 3.48MB
Most big commercial CPC games result between 20 and 30MB.  The small size of Frogalot meant I was quite surprised it loaded so fast before I looked at the filesize.  It packs in a fair bit of game, music and nice graphics into that filesize compared to other games.

I use compression where I can, but the loader I wrote relies on the firmware so I suspect there's still room for improvement. I tried to port one of the turbo loaders I use in the speccy, but after a quick go I think I'll wait a little but bit until I'm more confident with the CPC  :laugh:
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Targhan

Well done everybody. Here my personal top of the games!
1 - Frogalot: very well coded, excellent gameplay and level design. Could have been a Nebulus 2 without any problem.
2 - Top top: I didn't go very far, but the idea is nice and the gfx well made. One drawback: who picked the keys to play with??
3 - Space pest control: nice gfxs, nice gameplay.
3 - Space moves: A great Army Moves feeling, the gfx and music are very good. But the part two is however too hard, yet I am considered a good player :). The collision tests is too random.
4 - Run CPC: Good technical achievement, but only one life, not enough considering those big pixels are often hard to avoid (or to recognize!).
5 - Znax: Best gfx of the lot, funny game. However Pulko, I thought you knew how to display sprites without having a music slowing down?? :).
6 - Concave: Liked it, but a bit buggy (I got stuck on a wall).
7 - Paranormal outbreak: Loved the "fog of war" concept, nicely done.

2Legends crashed on my CPC 6128, is it normal?

All in all, it was great to play all these games, thanks to the guys who organized this event.

Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

MacDeath

QuoteWhen converting the CDT's to WAVE files (since Tapdancer failed and kept getting Read Error B) I noticed the filesizes seem quite interesting. 

Frogalot: 3.48MB

I guess that as those games are done in the modern age, there may be some improvement on the sound "signal" (now purely Digital while real tapes were somewhat analogic) or just compression.
This can greatly optimize the use as MP3.

Also got to remember the rules are "no multiloading", "no extra than the 64k" this means the game uses less (like... 48k if whole Video 16k are used ?) while many commercial games would use extra to load a loading screen during the load of the rest... or multiloadings.

I sometimes definitaly think English and Spanish are not compatible... we even have a saying in France : "to speak english like a spanish cow..."

Targhan

Yes, but remember commercial games involved people full-time to fill their 128k, whereas the RetroDev competition is done on people's spare-time... So I think the 64k limitation is actually a good one.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Fessor

And now, familar with the limits of 64kb one can go to the NASA Why NASA Needs a Programmer Fluent In 60-Year-Old Languages
Ok... Loading time of 17h is a little bad... ;)

MacDeath

haha nice one...  ;D
basically many embedded systems or hightly miniaturised things can pull some limitations closer to 8-16 biters than to those big modern powerhouses.

And old machines that were included in so important things that they still run today... or are too far from hearth to be "upgraded" hardware wise.

QuoteYes, but remember commercial games involved people full-time to fill their 128k, whereas the RetroDev competition is done on people's spare-time... So I think the 64k limitation is actually a good one.
oops forgot to quote the thing I was trying to respound to.

I never said the 64k limit is bad, because of the context of the competition.
Wouldn't be the same if the students had 512k of RAM to play with : they would probably "waste it" as if working on a modern system.
:laugh:

I quite liked the fact that some contestants from previous edition did present things this year too. (according to interview)

dodogildo

Quote from: toms on 13:23, 02 November 15
Don't miss the interview of Ronaldo (#CPCRetroDev organizer) on Push'n'Pop!

And thank you Ronaldo for having answered to our questions  8)
Awesome article.
What an amazing person, Ronaldo.
Great achivement.
M'enfin!

AMSDOS

Quote from: reidrac on 17:45, 02 November 15
I use compression where I can, but the loader I wrote relies on the firmware so I suspect there's still room for improvement. I tried to port one of the turbo loaders I use in the speccy, but after a quick go I think I'll wait a little but bit until I'm more confident with the CPC

Perhaps this is of some interest. I used Compression, High Baud Rate (3968) & Headerless Loader (mostly firmware), to load that game quickly.

I also posted the wav version of that file on this forum, but no-one said boo!
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

reidrac

Quote from: AMSDOS on 10:33, 03 November 15

Perhaps this is of some interest. I used Compression, High Baud Rate (3968) & Headerless Loader (mostly firmware), to load that game quickly.

I also posted the wav version of that file on this forum, but no-one said boo!

I spent some time last night playing with the topo soft loader disassembly that @arnoldemu posted to the forums some time ago and got it to work after some struggle. It is really cute, but slower than using CAS READ (headerless loader using the firmware).

I'll try to port the turbo loader I use on the speccy, if I manage to get the timing right I think I can improve the firmware speed and still look nice :)

But we probably should move this conversation to a different thread.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Optimus

Best CPC gamedev compo ever!
I still have 36 minus some entries to see. This will take time :)
It's a pitty I couldn't do something and improve the epicness, although it would have been a tech demo rather than a game so it's better to wait, maybe next year.

It's positively surprising that this is a competition for students at the university and the professor is teaching them z80 and all that. More young programmers will have the experience how computers work below most of the API layers.

alex76gr

Santa arrived early for us CPC fans! :D
I feel respect and gratitude for all the developers that participated in the competition regardless the results. :-*
I still believe that i got my myopia from the green GT-65 monitor, but i can't prove it! :)