News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

#CPCRetroDev 2015: Complete Results and Games

Started by ronaldo, 20:14, 17 June 15

Previous topic - Next topic

AMSDOS

Quote from: reidrac on 10:49, 03 November 15
I spent some time last night playing with the topo soft loader disassembly that @arnoldemu posted to the forums some time ago and got it to work after some struggle. It is really cute, but slower than using CAS READ (headerless loader using the firmware).

I'll try to port the turbo loader I use on the speccy, if I manage to get the timing right I think I can improve the firmware speed and still look nice

But we probably should move this conversation to a different thread.

I used this program Turbo Load to set the Baud Rate up to 3968, and the Information is on that Page. Kukulcan has added these Digits (220 x 48) which I haven't tested yet. I was using CPCE and using the Tape File Format to get that result, it should be clear in that emulator if "|TURBO,220,48" would work or not.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Dubliner

Quote from: Optimus on 11:08, 03 November 15
It's positively surprising that this is a competition for students at the university and the professor is teaching them z80 and all that. More young programmers will have the experience how computers work below most of the API layers.

Actually, that's really funny. Most of the students sent with their games a memo about the developing process of these games. All of them stated that the most dificult part of the project was the limits in memory of the Amstrad  :)

One of the most funny things i have read in these memos was "thanks to this we have learned how difficult was doing games back in the day". As if the programmers back then had tools like CPCtelera or emulators to try their code quickly  :P

I am pretty sure this will teach them very good lessons in their future career  :)

MacDeath

It made more and better than the 30 (now 32?) years anniversary Mega Demo... in far less time...
:picard2: :picard:

;D

TFM

Out of curiosity... Is the coder of the winning game a former member of dynamic? (Just asking because this game uses the classic Dinamic character set (see Game Over and others) and also some GFX from Dinamic games).
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

cngsoft

Sure, the contest is over, but I had to do this:

Towers are no longer infinite: they have roofs and grounds.

Quote from: TFM on 21:04, 06 November 15
Out of curiosity... Is the coder of the winning game a former member of dynamic? (Just asking because this game uses the classic Dinamic character set (see Game Over and others) and also some GFX from Dinamic games).
Two words: GFX rips.
(if you can't see the banner right now my server is currently offline)

VincentGR

Quote from: cngsoft on 00:11, 07 November 15

Holy s^*t!!!   :o

Cross my fingers for toki too  ;D

PS4CPC, port of "Parasol Stars" for the CPC
IN DEVELOPMENT!

ervin

Quote from: cngsoft on 00:11, 07 November 15

Looking great CNG!

I don't know why you didn't get first place.
Space Moves was pretty good, but Frogalot is so much better...

Joseman

For me frogalot is the best game of the compo hands down.

Maybe Space moves is calling some nostalgia with the graphics, character set and music...

But Frogalot is technically far better than any other game of the compo...

I'ts my opinion... but you know that it's true!!  :P

Good work @cngsoft!

Singaja

Frogalot has a really interesting loader too. Both run" and load" of the fake .BAS will run the game. Are there more "secret" files/data on the dsk? Is it really only 11kb?

Gryzor

Hey guys, @ronaldo have I missed something? Can the tape with all the titles be ordered somewhere?

TFM

Quote from: ervin on 01:01, 07 November 15
Looking great CNG!

I don't know why you didn't get first place.
Space Moves was pretty good, but Frogalot is so much better...

I would have elected CPC and Frogalot first place. Space Moves is imho just stolen from Army moves, the controls are poor, loading is love-less. Could have been a great game (rip off or not), but it seems they run out of time.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

dodogildo

M'enfin!

PulkoMandy

Quote from: Targhan on 21:34, 02 November 15
5 - Znax: Best gfx of the lot, funny game. However Pulko, I thought you knew how to display sprites without having a music slowing down?? :) .

I ran out of time to optimize things, and out of memory space. I'm fitting the 4 screens (menu, game, how to play, high scores - 2 of which are fullscreen) in 64K of RAM, there is few space left for the code and music.
Remember that I wrote the initial code back in 2008 and it was my first try at z80 assembler.
I would have put the music under interrupts, but that was not possible in the menu (because interrupts are cut at several places to have stable raster effects), and I didn't have space for a different playroutine call specially for the game screen.
Maybe I can try to free a few spare bytes and make this work.

TFM

The GFX are really absolutely great and in addition I like how the different screen formats get used. It's dynamic and that's just very beautiful! Great job!!!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft