News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

#CPCRetroDev 2017 Game Trailers (29 games presented)

Started by ronaldo, 17:06, 01 November 17

Previous topic - Next topic

ukmarkh

Profanation 2 has everything, great music, animation and lovely graphics, but no matter how many times I try, I can't get off the first screen. Why so difficult, this could have been great  :picard:  Thank god for Baba's Palace, now that does just about everything right.

Nich

Quote from: ukmarkh on 01:37, 12 November 17
Profanation 2 has everything, great music, animation and lovely graphics, but no matter how many times I try, I can't get off the first screen. Why so difficult, this could have been great  :picard:  Thank god for Baba's Palace, now that does just about everything right.

In this respect, Profanation 2 retains the spirit of its prequel. :(

However, here are some pokes that should help you (and everyone else):

02DF,18; 02E0,2C - invulnerability (this can cause enemy sprites to corrupt the screen, and be careful not to get trapped!)
02FF,21 - infinite lives

One other annoyance is that I can't bypass the scrolling message when you lose all your lives.

Does anyone know if Profanation 2 has been endorsed by the authors of Abu Simbel Profanation (i.e. is it an 'official' sequel)?

ervin

Quote from: ukmarkh on 01:37, 12 November 17

Yes, I agree 100%.
It's such a beautiful production in every way... except playability.
The difficulty is absolutely crushing. What a pity!

I was looking forward to Profanation 2 more than any other game in the comp, but the soul-destroying challenge is just too much.  :(
(After many, many attempts I finally got to the 3rd screen, but wasn't able to repeat the feat again afterwards!)

jesusdelmas

Quote from: ervin on 12:30, 12 November 17
Yes, I agree 100%.
It's such a beautiful production in every way... except playability.
The difficulty is absolutely crushing. What a pity!

I was looking forward to Profanation 2 more than any other game in the comp, but the soul-destroying challenge is just too much.  :(
(After many, many attempts I finally got to the 3rd screen, but wasn't able to repeat the feat again afterwards!)

At the begining is hard but then you learn and get used to it, is a game for ones that like a challenge.

MacDeath

Congratulations to the winners.

Couldn't quite follow this as Alchimie12 demoparty was held at the exact same time this week end, with 2 Demo released that defined what will be expected from Amstrad PLUS in the future.
(A lot of french Amstrad sceners attended this party.)

BTW CPCretrodev is always good new and can always provide nice new productions and interesting surprises right before Xmas.

Also quality level seems to step up each year.

Can't wait to watch the awards giving ceremony replays if available somewhere.
And can't wait to test the top games from this year.

:)

XeNoMoRPH

Quote from: Nich on 12:11, 12 November 17
In this respect, Profanation 2 retains the spirit of its prequel. :(

However, here are some pokes that should help you (and everyone else):

02DF,18; 02E0,2C - invulnerability (this can cause enemy sprites to corrupt the screen, and be careful not to get trapped!)
02FF,21 - infinite lives

One other annoyance is that I can't bypass the scrolling message when you lose all your lives.

Does anyone know if Profanation 2 has been endorsed by the authors of Abu Simbel Profanation (i.e. is it an 'official' sequel)?

how to put this pokes on game? .. for play in a real cpc ... i need loader
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Novabug

Great work by all. Will be giving all these a thourough testing and along with other games this year, will be in my top 11 CPC games of 2017.

Nich

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 09:00, 13 November 17
how to put this pokes on game? .. for play in a real cpc ... i need loader

Here's a type-in listing for you. You may need to change the filename in line 20, depending on where you downloaded the game from.

1 ' Profanation 2 pokes
2 ' by Nich
3 '
10 MODE 0:MEMORY &3946
20 LOAD"disc.bin"
30 a=&3B24
40 POKE &3988,&24:POKE &3989,&3B
50 READ h$
60 IF h$="END" THEN CALL &3947
70 POKE a,VAL("&"+h$)
80 a=a+1:GOTO 50
90 ' Invulnerability
100 DATA 21,18,2c,22,df,02
110 ' Infinite lives
120 DATA 3e,21,32,ff,02
130 ' Don't delete the line below!
140 DATA c3,30,2e,END

XeNoMoRPH

Big Thx  :o :o :o :o

Sorry .. doesn't work .. with this error:

cpcitor

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 14:59, 13 November 17

Reading BASIC code above, "Data exhausted" probably means a typo when typing the program in the CPC. Have you double-checked it?
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

Nich

Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 14:59, 13 November 17
Big Thx  :o :o :o :o

On my browser, the last line of the program (line 140) is hidden in the area that displays the code. Maybe that's the cause of the error?

ukmarkh

Really loving Cris, odd prelude, got to chapter six, but it says I need the book, tried everything, but it's too high to reach, help?

khaz

I really liked the presentation of Cris odd prelude, but the gameplay needs some serious tweaking imo. But yeah, it's a good first step, I can't wait to see the finished product.

ukmarkh

Quote from: khaz on 02:34, 14 November 17
I really liked the presentation of Cris odd prelude, but the gameplay needs some serious tweaking imo. But yeah, it's a good first step, I can't wait to see the finished product.

I thought it was finished, you mean there's more to come?

khaz

Quote from: ukmarkh on 02:44, 14 November 17

I thought it was finished, you mean there's more to come?

This is how I understand it

Quote from: tulinmola on 16:53, 02 November 17
Hello to everyone!

Let me introduce myself. My name is Tulo. And I am one of the members of Dreamin'Bits group, "Cris, odd prelude" creators. It was awesome working on this game and it was very hard fitting it into 64KB. We left a lot of things out of the game. But we are not complaining. It was great having the deadline and all the limitations. We are very happy of having participated in CPCRetroDev contest!

We are extremely pleased with the reception the game is taking. Those are being amazing days. Thank you!

And finally we want to say that this is only the beginning. We are now designing and planning the game to be loaded from disc. This means more graphics, more animations, more puzzles, more maps, more units, conversations and much more. So stay tuned. We will be talking on twitter, updating our webpage and of course posting here!

This is an amazing community. One more time, thank you for everything.
Tulo

https://dreaminbits.com
@dreamin_bits

Quote from: tulinmola on 13:06, 04 November 17
We are looking forward to continue working on the game and making something great.

It's a really cool game that works in the constraints of a competition. I believe without the deadline and artificial limitations, along with more feedback from the community, it has the potential to become awesome.

ukmarkh

Quote from: khaz on 02:53, 14 November 17

It's a really cool game that works in the constraints of a competition. I believe without the deadline and artificial limitations, along with more feedback from the community, it has the potential to become awesome.

Already I'm thinking how great it is, but with a few tweaks, I agree it could be the best CPC game ever, the CPC's answer to Limbo :-)

pelrun

Quote from: ukmarkh on 01:42, 14 November 17
Really loving Cris, odd prelude, got to chapter six, but it says I need the book, tried everything, but it's too high to reach, help?
You can't get it at the start, you have to go back for it.

XeNoMoRPH

Quote from: Nich on 22:45, 13 November 17
On my browser, the last line of the program (line 140) is hidden in the area that displays the code. Maybe that's the cause of the error?

ok ... that's the problem , thx  ;)

tulinmola

Hi there!

Quote from: ukmarkh on 01:42, 14 November 17

Yep, you have to go back to take it. It will be reachable. But... if you die in your way back to the first screen, you'll have to start from the beginning of chapter 6. Hahaha!

Quote from: khaz on 02:53, 14 November 17

Quote from: ukmarkh on 03:28, 14 November 17
Already I'm thinking how great it is, but with a few tweaks, I agree it could be the best CPC game ever, the CPC's answer to Limbo :-)

Thank you very much! It's amazing reading that impressions. We are working hard on the extended game. As I said before, more animations, much more scenes, chapters and puzzles, much more bad and good boys... And of course some surprises we want to keep for ourselves until they are ready to be shown. Keep in touch in @dreamin_bits twitter account!

We hope you play, we hope you have fun, and we hope you finish the game!!

khaz

Quote from: tulinmola on 19:33, 14 November 17
Yep, you have to go back to take it. It will be reachable. But... if you die in your way back to the first screen, you'll have to start from the beginning of chapter 6. Hahaha!

The platforming needs fixing imo. Especially the ledge-grabbing mechanism. Currently, the character grabs a ledge only if up is pressed on the controller. Ledges should be grabbed automatically, and either have her hanging or pulled up automatically also. Plenty of time I went for a jump, expected a grab (so kept UP pressed) only to land on my feet and immediately bounce into the next pit. The platform needs to be better defined too: sometimes I didn't press UP because I expected to land on one, only to clip through it to my death. Pressing UP to grab the ledge at the same spot made it right. There are a couple of gaps near the end that require a pixel perfect jump. You may want to rethink that. It may feel better simply with a more accurate ledge-grabbing mechanism and no more clipping through earlier platforms.

The rain chapter. I really like the idea, and visuals, but having only a couple of droplets on the screen made it feel more like a leak from an unseen pipe than rain. Also it made extremely difficult to understand where the platforms are and where do they end. If I may suggest, a diagonal rain not unlike in Fres Fighter II Turbo. And in addition to that, a soaked invisible platform that continuously leak regular sprite droplets. Having two kind of droplets, one regular that "seep through" the invisible platform, and one that hangs on and drop from the invisible ledge, with a different shape.

In itself, the game as it is currently, works. It takes only a few retries to understand the "unintuitive logic" and overcome it. But it's the player working against the game, not with it to enjoy the story you want to tell. I don't want the game to become easier, or too easy, but the difficulty should be more organic, more logical.

One last thing. I don't know how feasible it is, or if you already planned it, or if there are technical constraints that prevent it (like memory limitations or something). But longer chapters would be welcomed. Simply having more of the thematic traps would help with the idea of progression through the story, overcoming a chapter would bear more weight. Maybe with more checkpoints depending on how you feel about the difficulty.

Sorry for the wall of text. I just really liked what you did already, and I feel it just needs some tiny adjustments to be even better. And since you announced to continue working on it, well...

Targhan

And now, without anyone asking for it, here is my review of ALL the games. But first, my top 10 !

1 - Phantis Legacy
Excellent game! I love the concept, quite new on CPC. The graphics are great, especially the introduction fullscreen, which is magnificient.
I'm sorry, I don't want to be controversial, but this game deserves a much, much, higher place in the official rankings. It's a full playable, original, beautiful, fun game to play. It deserves more praise than many of the other games... Did the jury even try to understand how to play it? Anyway, just my opinion.

2 - Baba's palace
Very nice. The gameplay is really good, the graphics gorgeous, the music is good too. I put it at second and not at first because the concept was "borrowed".

3 - Bitume
Ahh, an Asphalt Reloaded! Really liked it (as well as the music). It's as good as the original, even a bit more playable! Congrats.

4 - Laserboy
Very nice game! The gameplay is very good, the inertia makes the game special. I also like the fact that times is an important factor: bricks do not disappear immediately.

5 - Cris
Very interesting! Too bad the collision were a bit awkward... But it is truly a game to experience. I got stuck in the 6th chapter... I hope the authers will make another game!

6 - ColorFlood
Very nice game! A bit cryptic at first, but once you understand how it works, it's great. Of course, a better design is lacking, but it's enjoyable nonetheless.

7 - Profanation
Well, it's quite beautiful, but... so hard! The first room is already almost impossible for most players. What do these people have in mind ? :). Too bad...

8 - Basket
I really liked the intro image! I think the gameplay is a bit problematic on this one. It's very hard not to lose once you have the ball, it's very hard to win if the opponent has it... Maybe it's funny with two players?

9 - Agent006
I found this game quite charming. Even if it feels a bit buggy, I think the coders took really care of about a lot of things, such as the nice music, the possibility to shoot in all directions.

10 - 4676
Nice little shoot, running at 50hz. Nice little song (a bit short!). Too bad after level 5, nothing new happens. A little bug, run"loader" doesn't work (memory full). The binary must be run directly.

And then, in no special order:

Tunnel effect
Nice Portal remake, but quite hard to control, making it difficult to enjoy... I suspect playing with keyboard triggered bad combination, selecting the wrong portal. The developer should have tried it on a real CPC!

Balls
I admit I didn't understand what I had to do...

Brutal Fighter
Well... Not much fun, but at least it runs at 50hz, and there is an original music! Not bad for a first try (I assume it is).

Dethroned
Well... Rather unplayable. Is there a way to start the game again after dying??

Eiro
Well... Everyone has to start somewhere :).

Fitzroy
Actually, more playable than I thought at first. But not much to say else.

Fortress
Not bad actually. But too simplistic for not-children players.

Moon man
Probably not bad for a first try, but not enjoyable. An OK music.

My Galaxy
Quite ok for a first try. 50hz, but very buggy.

Piti
Well... Not very good.

PLMan
Not very good as well.

Proton Smoke
Not so bad! Minimalist design, but the gameplay is actually enjoyable for 10 minutes.

Pixel brawl
Couldn't beat the second guy. Not good at all.

Raimbo
I keep on shooting the little robot, nothing happens. No other room to explore. Too bad, the music was nice.

Rollablaze
The idea is good, but the implementation not so. The graphics are very bad, plus with the randomness of the levels, it's sometimes very hard to understand what is going on.

Templescare
My character ate all the background because of a bug, I can't leave the room because of a snake... Well.

Earth Defender
Ok for a first game. The music is nice.

UFO
Playable (I like the bat animation), but very hard to survive. I beat one (cool) boss, but then died. Couldn't skip the Game Over page to play again, had to reset (!).

X-Cape
Not very good, why does the character can only shoot in one direction? This artifically increase the game difficulty, and makes it not fun.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Arnaud

Quote from: Targhan on 12:56, 19 November 171 - Phantis Legacy
Excellent game! I love the concept, quite new on CPC. The graphics are great, especially the introduction fullscreen, which is magnificient.
I'm sorry, I don't want to be controversial, but this game deserves a much, much, higher place in the official rankings. It's a full playable, original, beautiful, fun game to play. It deserves more praise than many of the other games... Did the jury even try to understand how to play it? Anyway, just my opinion.

I share your opinion, Phantis Legacy is impressive, not hard to understand but it requires some effort to start playing with it (maybe a tutorial level could help to start). And when juree have 29 games to test in one week they can't spend too many time on one game i guess.

In any case i have a lot of fun to play with Phantis Legacy i have reach 4th level for now.

Quote from: Targhan on 12:56, 19 November 173 - Bitume
Ahh, an Asphalt Reloaded! Really liked it (as well as the music). It's as good as the original, even a bit more playable! Congrats.

Thanks a lot  ;D

Targhan

What bothers me is that devs will not apply to the RetroDev anymore if they feel their production doesn't deserve the credits it should. They will either not make games any more, or publish the game outside Retrodev where it will receive more attention. I truly love the RetroDev initiative, but there is a trap I'm afraid they've fallen into!
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

jesusdelmas

Quote from: Targhan on 13:39, 19 November 17
What bothers me is that devs will not apply to the RetroDev anymore if they feel their production doesn't deserve the credits it should. They will either not make games any more, or publish the game outside Retrodev where it will receive more attention. I truly love the RetroDev initiative, but there is a trap I'm afraid they've fallen into!

I dont think that be in a better rank on the contest mattets to keep making games for amstrad, if winnig or be second is all that a developer wants to he shouldnt make games, what i think is that these developers make amstrad games cuz they love the machine and the just have fun in the retrodev, sure next year they will year they will try harder cuz all the comunity really like their games  :)

Targhan

Recognition is the key, I guess. Speaking for myself, if I make a super game I'm hugely proud of, submit it to Retrodev, and am being beaten by games of lesser quality (in my opinion), I will be disappointed and I may not participate the next year. I do not speak for anyone else, of course.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime