News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

#CPCRetroDev 2017 Game Trailers (29 games presented)

Started by ronaldo, 17:06, 01 November 17

Previous topic - Next topic

dthrone

I've played all 20 Phantis Legacy missions today, very addictive game!!  I think the puzzles are very well thought out, quite fiendish and requiring some lateral thinking and watching out for red herrings.  A level designer would be a very nice addition I think.

awergh

@Targhan

I can understand being a bit disappointed if a worse game does better then your superior game although I haven't really experienced that because so far I've been happy that I can submit something complete without any game breaking bugs by the deadline.

Also thanks for the feedback, its pretty fair to say that presentation is lacking (at least thats what I read from your comment). Mostly due to running out of time and not wanting to add anything else when everything more or less worked. I do wonder if I should have made the higher difficulty levels the default as that could be more interesting. (It requires 2 attempts to change from difficulty 1 to 2, I like to think of this as a slight barrier to entry and not a bug that I didn't get around to fixing)

Targhan

Your game is Fitzroy, right? It's playable, and not buggy, so well done, especially if it's your first game. What lacks is probably originality, as there are many many platformers on Retrodevs :).
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

awergh

Quote from: Targhan on 12:33, 20 November 17
Your game is Fitzroy, right? It's playable, and not buggy, so well done, especially if it's your first game. What lacks is probably originality, as there are many many platformers on Retrodevs :) .

Yep thats right, I did a game for last year although that honestly was graphically quite buggy (this was made worse by the scrolling).

Yeah its true about the lack of originality, I was thinking about writing a puzzle platform game and ended up mostly writing a platformer.
Difficulties 2 and 3 are a little bit more interesting because the information is limited by making the player discover where the blocks are but I didn't start playing with this until I had a week to go so I didn't fully realise this. Possibly going for a different genre to platformer would be easier to be original as there are always so many platformers because they are generally fairly well understood I think.

For next year I probably need to spend more time working the game I want to make instead of building a whole lot of stuff and then putting it together in some levels at the last minute which is more or less what I did.

Carnivius

Quote from: ukmarkh on 03:28, 14 November 17

Already I'm thinking how great it is, but with a few tweaks, I agree it could be the best CPC game ever, the CPC's answer to Limbo :-)

god no.  I liked Cris and it had a nice unique style for an 8 bit game particuarly with the smooth slopes (which I could never do myself because it bugs my OCD like crazy, I like grids and everything arranged in blocks :P )  but hell I so disliked Limbo on my PS3 with a passion.  I'd like to see Cris developed more but come on, 'best CPC game' such a subjective thing especially if the core game isn't something that appeals.  I've seen Elite often said to be best CPC game or best BBC game or best game on any format but sure as hell ain't to me cos I always found it excruciatingly dull and tedious.

About Phantis Legacy.  I think it's really well presented but I couldn't get into the gameplay.  Just not my kind of thing but for those who do find the gameplay more appealing I guess it's pretty satsfying.  Really gorgeous intro screen and logo effects too.

Baba's Palace impressed me the most not just cos of graphics and music but it was a fun puzzle platformer that was so well made.  Little touches such as being able to kick while on the ladder or the impact sprite when landing just felt like it added a bit more polish and professionalism than you tend to get even on commerical CPC software never mind homebrew contest entries.  It's not my usual kind of gamplay but it felt so good to actually play that even when I failed multiple times, I still kept on trying and not giving up quickly like I have been known to do on other games when frustrated.

I really liked Basket Case but felt it maybe needs a bit more work.  I enjoyed it but often got confused which character I was controlling and how to get the ball from the other side.  It's very nicely made with lovely colourful graphics and has a nice arcade feel to it that CNGsoft does so well. 

I've not been able to get anywhere on Profanation 2 as of yet.  I keep getting killed by that very first thing.  I'm terrible at these sorta strict platformers so I need more time to get more practice.   But it's nicely put together.

I have some comments on other games I will add when I have more time.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

ukmarkh

Quote from: Carnivius on 14:05, 20 November 17
god no.  I liked Cris and it had a nice unique style for an 8 bit game particuarly with the smooth slopes (which I could never do myself because it bugs my OCD like crazy, I like grids and everything arranged in blocks :P )  but hell I so disliked Limbo on my PS3 with a passion.  I'd like to see Cris developed more but come on, 'best CPC game' such a subjective thing especially if the core game isn't something that appeals.  I've seen Elite often said to be best CPC game or best BBC game or best game on any format but sure as hell ain't to me cos I always found it excruciatingly dull and tedious.

About Phantis Legacy.  I think it's really well presented but I couldn't get into the gameplay.  Just not my kind of thing but for those who do find the gameplay more appealing I guess it's pretty satsfying.  Really gorgeous intro screen and logo effects too.

Baba's Palace impressed me the most not just cos of graphics and music but it was a fun puzzle platformer that was so well made.  Little touches such as being able to kick while on the ladder or the impact sprite when landing just felt like it added a bit more polish and professionalism than you tend to get even on commerical CPC software never mind homebrew contest entries.  It's not my usual kind of gamplay but it felt so good to actually play that even when I failed multiple times, I still kept on trying and not giving up quickly like I have been known to do on other games when frustrated.

I really liked Basket Case but felt it maybe needs a bit more work.  I enjoyed it but often got confused which character I was controlling and how to get the ball from the other side.  It's very nicely made with lovely colourful graphics and has a nice arcade feel to it that CNGsoft does so well. 

I've not been able to get anywhere on Profanation 2 as of yet.  I keep getting killed by that very first thing.  I'm terrible at these sorta strict platformers so I need more time to get more practice.   But it's nicely put together.

I have some comments on other games I will add when I have more time.

I personally believe you're seriously in the minority if you didn't like Limbo, first time I've heard anyone say that, it's an eff'ing great game on PS. I didn't read past your first paragraph [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robcfg

Add me to the minority then ;D

I hate Limbo with heart and soul. It looks great but I reached a point where I got really fed up and stopped playing.

Of course, it's just my personal opinion.

khaz

Quote from: robcfg on 22:59, 20 November 17
I hate Limbo with heart and soul. It looks great but I reached a point where I got really fed up and stopped playing.

It's quite an easy and short puzzle platformer. The aesthetic is interesting at first, but I think it wears thin after about halfway through the game.

I enjoyed it for what it was worth, but it didn't give me enough time to get bored (because it ended).

It's a cool game, but overrated because of its atmosphere.