News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPCRetroDev 2017 ?

Started by Arnaud, 20:55, 04 July 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnaud

Hello,
the tapes for CPCRetroDev2016 are just available,
but there're no news about the CPCRetroDev 2017 (the previous CPCRetroDev started in June).

Is someone knows if there will be CPCRetroDev compo this year ?

Thanks,
Arnaud.

AMSDOS

There's no news about it on their website:

http://cpcretrodev.byterealms.com/contest-en/cpcretrodev-2016/

So I'm not sure what's happening. :(
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

awergh

I was wondering this but I figured I would just starting writing something and assume it is happening sometime.

The implication from Ronaldo's post in the cpcretrodev cassette thread is that it is on this year sometime.

keith56

I certainly hope they will do it again, it seemed to bring a lot of submissions, and some great games last year!
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

mr_lou

I was wondering about this too, and have been asking on the CPC IRC channels too, but no one seems to know anything.

Dubliner

Hi,

I can confirm you that there will be another compo this year. More details and the oficial announcement will come soon from Ronaldo as usual, but you can start your projects with confidence.

EgoTrip

Time to pick out an appropriate Spanish sounding alias, then open up Notepad.

Arnaud

Quote from: Dubliner on 10:07, 05 July 17
Hi,

I can confirm you that there will be another compo this year. More details and the oficial announcement will come soon from Ronaldo as usual, but you can start your projects with confidence.

Great news ! I can't wait for the official launch.

And may be there will be a new version of CPCTelera  ;D

Morri

I hope they don't scrap the BASIC compo this year. I finally have a 464 compatible BASIC game working and nearly complete.  :)
Worst case scenario, just release it anyway.  :P
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

Dubliner

Quote from: Morri on 03:48, 07 July 17
I hope they don't scrap the BASIC compo this year. I finally have a 464 compatible BASIC game working and nearly complete.  :)

If this happens you could still submit your game and compete in the PRO category  :)

ronaldo

There you go, guys! Enjoy the contest!  :D

reidrac

I'm happy to see that the rules are clear now regarding sharing screenshots, videos, teasers, etc during the development process. I think it really helps to promote the CPC and the contest, so big thumbs up on that!

I also like that different categories have different weight, and that will make the results more balanced; being more important that the game is fun and playable.

I'm not sure about the part where it allows licensing content without restriction, for two reasons:

• First, an entry could score high points for licensed content; not authored by the person/team submitting the entry.
  • And second, it could be used to circumvent the "one game per author" rule. Sure, the author of the licensed content won't be considered co-author of the entry, but if the license requires credit (and, of course, we must comply with the license), in real terms it means someone could be part of several entries.

In my experience in other competitions, when licensed content is allowed it usually refers to open content (eg. creative commons) so it doesn't result in an unfair advantage for one entry; you can use licensed content but everybody can access to that same content,  and that levels the field.

I'm curious to see how it turns out; specially regarding music, as there are a limited number of music artists in the CPC scene that are at a completely different level (you know who they are!).

Anyway, already looking forward to play the entries of this year!

EDIT: typos!
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

ervin

Quote from: ronaldo on 11:08, 09 July 17
There you go, guys! Enjoy the contest!  :D

Fantastic! Thanks Ronaldo.
Just wondering - is there an English version of the competition page?
8)

[EDIT] Actually it's ok, Google Translate does a good job with the page.

awergh

There is an English version of the page here
http://cpcretrodev.byterealms.com/contest-en/cpcretrodev-2017/

So having taken last year off are you planning to do it this year?

Neil79

and featured!

I can't wait :)
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

ervin

Quote from: awergh on 10:08, 10 July 17
There is an English version of the page here
http://cpcretrodev.byterealms.com/contest-en/cpcretrodev-2017/

So having taken last year off are you planning to do it this year?

I'm certainly considering it.
I've thought of a game design... one that will hopefully be a bit easier for players than RUNCPC was!
8)

Morri

Good idea having a separate category for the University students.
As they tend to be new to the CPC it was always going to be tough for them to make the top 5 in the PRO category.

Hopefully the increased chance of winning a prize means they put more effort into their projects and we end up with better results / games from them.
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

AMSDOS

Thought I'd give this thread a bump as I was having trouble finding it along with their website. Anyway the Deadline is coming up fast 31st October.

Hope those programs are coming along nicely.  :D

Your Computer Programs

keith56

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone produces - both the 'pro-level' developers, and the people who are maybe producing their first CPC games! It's really nice to see people release new stuff for the good old CPC!

Good luck everyone!
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

ronaldo

You may also want to encourage developers on twiiter, and give them some feedback.
Most people (and students) are developing in assembler for this edition. They deserve additional cheering! :D

ervin

I have to regretfully announce that I have decided to withdraw from this year's competition.
I just haven't had the time.
:'(

A real shame too, as I'm very happy with the tile engine I've created.

mr_lou

Quote from: ervin on 13:31, 13 October 17
I have to regretfully announce that I have decided to withdraw from this year's competition.

Save it for next year then. Keep working on it when you find the time.

(You can complain when your 2-year long project ended up taking 5 years).

Arnaud

Sorry to heard that  ??? but your work is not lost.

It's really hard to complete a whole game project alone.
All additional elements of coding (game design, graphics, and sound) are really important and require a lot of time and energy.

AMSDOS

It is a shame. I agree with @mr_lou with regards for saving it for next year, though it's a long time to wait  :D  Better late than never though.

Your Computer Programs

Sykobee (Briggsy)

That's a shame, but understandable when you want to create the best that you can. Next year! :)