News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

#CPCRetroDev 2018 - Amstrad CPC Game Creation Contest new for 2018!

Started by Neil79, 17:39, 11 July 18

Previous topic - Next topic

Xyphoe

The results are in! (see attachment)

Congratulations to Operation Alexandra and everyone who took part.

To celebrate I will be live streaming all 41 games this evening at 9PM GMT (or 10PM CET for anyone in France/Spain) on the AMSTREAM on my YouTube channel - https://gaming.youtube.com/c/Xyphoe/live

I was very honoured to be asked to be a judge again this year, and it was extremely tough choosing my top 4 especially - I did a special scoring system for myself and there was literally 1 point in between each game I chose for that top 4. The standard this year has been amazing again!

Neil79

Write up done!

This year's CPCRetroDev 2018 has been mouth watering for the Amstrad CPC as throughout the competition we have seen many fantastic entries announced such as Jarlac, Legend of Steel, Operation Alexandra, The Adventure of Timothy Gunn, OPQA vs QAOP, Crimson Knight Adventures and many many more making a grand total of 41 enteries.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2018/11/cpcretrodev-2018-amstrad-cpc-game.html
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

Manu

I'm really excited to reach 5th position with my game, given that is the first time participating in CPCRetroDev and above all because there were a lot of great games this year.

BTW, I uploaded it to my Github account if you like to try it  8)

https://github.com/manuelsagra/OPQAvsQAOP

meta

My congratulations to the winners of the CPCRETRODEV 2018!

Very surprised that my game Foozzzball  :laugh: reach the 7th place!

Thank you very much to the organization and all the people who have made it possible.

Greetings!!

Arnaud

Quote from: Manu on 23:01, 09 November 18
I'm really excited to reach 5th position with my game, given that is the first time participating in CPCRetroDev and above all because there were a lot of great games this year.

BTW, I uploaded it to my Github account if you like to try it  8)

https://github.com/manuelsagra/OPQAvsQAOP
Congratulation !
BTW your binary files (dsk and cdt) on github are corrupted  :P 

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Arnaud on 08:33, 10 November 18
Both downloaded and work fine for me! ^_^

Arnaud

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 11:50, 10 November 18
Both downloaded and work fine for me! ^_^
What emulator are you using ? I've tried with winape and CPCE95.

The size of the dsk downloaded is smaller (51Kb) than the "classic" dsk (~200Kb)

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Arnaud on 12:06, 10 November 18
What emulator are you using ? I've tried with winape and CPCE95.

The size of the dsk downloaded is smaller (51Kb) than the "classic" dsk (~200Kb)
I use WinAPE. Download of .dsk should be 200kb, try downloading it again!

Manu

Quote from: Arnaud on 08:33, 10 November 18
Congratulation !

Thanks!

As SuTeKH says, I downloaded everything again and seems fine. Use this link to download the Zip file directly:
[/size]
https://github.com/manuelsagra/OPQAvsQAOP/archive/master.zip

Arnaud

Quote from: Manu on 14:51, 10 November 18

Thanks!

As SuTeKH says, I downloaded everything again and seems fine. Use this link to download the Zip file directly:

https://github.com/manuelsagra/OPQAvsQAOP/archive/master.zip
It works in this way. Thanks.

skylas

Congratulations to everyone for making the games and of course to the winner!I am very happy to have participated for the 1st time with my game in Basic <Penalty kicks>.
Thx also to the university of Alicante for making this contest! Looking forward to download the games!
Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET ON AMSTRAD CPC!
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition)
HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ)
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!
ART WAR!
BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!
AMSTABOO!
RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE!

skylas

Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET ON AMSTRAD CPC!
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition)
HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ)
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!
ART WAR!
BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!
AMSTABOO!
RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE!

Octoate

Thanks to all the participants who have entered such great games in the competition. It was also a great honor to be part of this years jury and of course being part of the price giving ceremony (although I was a little bit nervous :)). 41 games :o!!! Just awesome!
--

roudoudou

It's incredible to see such a dense quality this year!
Congratz to all participants!
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

DanyPPC

Operation Alexandra is a masterpiece.

Congratulations to the first five places in the ranking  :)
CPC 464 with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 464+ with USB Floppy Emulator / CPC 6128+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive Emulator

tastefulmrship

Seriously high standard of games! Congratulations to all participants!
Top three for me; BringRGBack, Deeper Warrens and Legend Of Steel!

Neil79

QuoteWe told you who the winners were such as Operation Alexandra, Jarlac and Legend of Steel, we are now shouting out from the roof tops that all 41 games entered are now available for download!

http://www.indieretronews.com/2018/11/cpcretrodev-2018-amstrad-cpc-game_10.html
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

tjohnson

Quote from: DanyPPC on 21:11, 10 November 18
Operation Alexandra is a masterpiece.

Congratulations to the first five places in the ranking  :)

Yep agreed, loaded up Operation Alexandra and thought this is an Amstrad game of the highest quality.

GUNHED

Congratulations to all participants! Great work!!! And a big thanks to everybody.  :) :) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

GUNHED

The Gauntlet clone is cool! Nice scrolling, nice GFX and the player doesn't get killed too quick. My personal #1.  :)  And #2 is the Soccer game!  :)  #3... tell you later...  ;D
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Targhan

Sooo... I have played ALL the games, on a REAL CPC6128. Here is my review for each of them. Please remember that this is my opinion and you might find it quite controversial, especially when you compare my results with the ones made by the jury. More on this at the bottom...

So, here are the review, from BEST to WORST!

Deeper Warrens
This is a great game and easily the best game of this RetroDev! The graphics are good (the intro is very beautiful), varied, the gameplay very well balanced. I loved the secret passages and the shop to buy new gear! And little details (slowing down of the hero when crossing rivers or pikes, the animation when going down a ladder...) gives the game a superior quality. Every level is different. The short music, without being fantastic, is nice and doesn't get on your nerves. Congrats Arnaud! 8th??? This is a joke...

Legend of Steel
Pretty good! Great graphics, nice music (too bad there isn't an ingame music). I didn't like the respawning of monsters, and I couldn't get rid of slimes when they are stuck to you, but rather enjoyed the game.

Taulellets
At last, an original game!! Simple but effective gameplay, well executed. Some fresh air!

OPQA vs QAOP: the final battle
Not original, but the gameplay is good and the IA can be challenging. The music is OK and the various modes make the game quite interesting.

Crimson Knight Adventures
Could have been a good game, but the gameplay is a bit limited, making it only a "nice little game". Finished it in a row. The music is strange but keeps the tension. I liked the graphics.

Operation Alexandra
Great graphics, nice music, good animation. I can't deny the game is really well polished, with a cool introduction and ingame dialogs. Sadly, the rest is only the same platformer we have every year. Killing slimes and frogs is not much fun. The robots later aren't much funnier later. I also hate leaving a room, come back and see the monsters back again. When is kind of game going to evolve? (Note: the game crashed (CPC 6128, no extension) after the introduction, I had to reload and skip it).

Harvest Day
Some kind of Fruity Frank on LSD. Very easy at the beginning, it becomes surprisingly tricky after a few levels. Rather raw graphics and music, but I found it quite refreshing.

Foosball F3
Really cool! This is really well done. Great music! I'm not sure about the gameplay though, I couldn't score once, the motions of the players are too slow, the goal doesn't move fast enough... Or maybe it is only me?

Jarlac
Strangely enough, I didn't quite like this one. The graphics are pretty good (though a bit messy), so is the music. But not much fun: I hated the fact that ennemies were respawning instantly when you come back to a room. You also can not kill an enemy when it is "over" you, you have to move (if you can!), go back and kill it. All this plus the classic "I fall from a trap when appearing in a room" or "I jump to the room above, fall back to the room where I was, landing on a monster I just killed (and which I can't kill because I'm over it!!)", and you've a game to is only half-baked, in my opinion. Not much fun.

The adventures of Timothy Gunn
Damnit, I'm really disappointed about this one. The code is great, the graphics are great, the music is OK (I would have preferred a Prohibition-like song instead of a Jean-Michel Jarre ripoff, though). But the game is incredibly badly balanced and uninteresting. On my first attempt, dozen of ennemies jumped on me, I died in a few seconds. Second try, I simply run to the right, always shooting, and after a while, there are no ennemies anymore. So I run left, still shooting, and here they are! So that's all you have to do to win. Run in a direction, shoot like crazy, and after 30 seconds, run in the opposite direction. Just like Basket Case from the same author last year, CNG Soft doesn't seem to have played his own game to see if there are fun.

The Crypt
A gauntlet-like but not very fun. Too bad the graphics aren't better and the gameplay more varied, because the scrolling is surprisingly fast.

Red Sea
I liked the music and the theme! But it is an "outlaw" with an even lighter gameplay. Funny for a few minutes, though.

The Rookie Thief
I like the concept, but the game missed its mark. By jumping and getting all the objects, the guards will not matter anymore...

Snake Bubble
A kinda cool Puzzle Bubble clone, actually. Too bad the inertia/gravity of the characters is so simple, the motions are too slow and make the game rather dull.

Cannon Duels
Cool concept, but the IA is sadly too stupid to have some fun. Not bad music. Maybe funny with 2 players.

KimoHiyoko
I liked some ideas, such as the music that changes according to the room you're in, and interesting noise effects. The graphics are "ok" for this strange LSD-charged game. Too bad the scrolling is so slow...

Earth Defender
Interesting concept, but it is very hard to play efficiently because you only move in 2D whereas your opponents move in 3D... Making them very hard to kill.

The spirit of Halloween
Too bad the game gets repetitive very quickly, I liked the theme. The music seems nice, but it SHOULD have been played every frame!!

The last debt
Could have been interesting, but boring after a few minutes. With a real "jump" animation it would have been much better. The controls are bit awkward too.

Cat Pang
Pang clone, not very interesting because of the slowness of our shot, and the inertia of the balls that does not change once shot. I managed to finish it on the first time though.

Elfo Saves Christmas
Not bad for a first try. But this Zelda like becomes repetitive very quickly...

Tank
Simple concept that could have been nice, but without a solid AI (or a 2-player game), it has no real interest...

18th century invaders
At least this one made me smile :). No possibility to retry when you are dead???

Lunatic
Ultra simple platformer... But kinda playable.

Killing Machine
Very simple, but not very fun game. Just go to the bottom of the screen, shoot upwards and nothing can prevent you from winning.

Indigo
Sadly, a terribly repetitive game. The graphics weren't so bad.

Fitzroy and the infestation
Too simple gameplay for my tastes, ugly graphics and no sound.

Over Heap
I liked the "castle" ambiance, and even the scrolling is not too bad. But there is no gameplay, and once the top is reached... What else to do?

BringRG Back
The scrolling with sprites is not a bad idea. But there monsters are impossible to lose...

HackTank
It could have been a nice game, but without any barricades or stuff like that to improve the gameplay, there is not much to do. Your shot range is higher than your opponents so it's easy to kill everyone once you discover that trick. Only a few levels...

Cuchara Voladora
I didn't understand a lot of what happened, I shot strange monsters from a LSD trip and I guess the game was won. Not great.

ACReturns
The gameplay is OK, too bad the graphics are ugly, and there is no animation.

2 finger death now
The idea was nice, and I kinda like the graphics (the city in the background) but the gameplay is really not good, and there is no animation.

Penalty Kicks
Could have been a nice typeins in some magazine...

Invade Space
This one is, sadly, incredible bad. I can't believe this music I'm hearing.

Crocker
Wow, an unfinished game without collision test :).

Space Cowboy
This crashes at random moment on my CPC6128 with no extension. Did someone tested this on the real harware??

------------------------------------------------

To sum up, and in my opinion, I think the quality of the games of this year has decreased. Only a few games are really funny to play. I have nothing about platformers, but please stop rehashing the same plate with new graphics...
I'm also really surprised, once again, about how the jury gaves its points. It really seems they didn't "play" the game, but only judged its graphics and "wow" effect. A game like Deeper Warrens should NEVER have been 8th. Crimson Knight Adventures and Tautellets can NOT be beaten by The Rookie Thief and 77 Attempts, student game or not.

One pervert effect of such judgment is that talented developers will not take part of this contest anymore because the quality of their production will not be judged as it should: they won't enter the contest anymore (and I know a few people who didn't enter the contest for this very reason).

Anyway, this is just my opinion, I don't want to start a war, since I expected so much for these games, like every year. I'm just a bit disappointed by how it turned out, I guess. Next year will be better :).
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Arnaud

Quote from: Targhan on 14:22, 11 November 18
Deeper Warrens
This is a great game and easily the best game of this RetroDev! The graphics are good (the intro is very beautiful), varied, the gameplay very well balanced. I loved the secret passages and the shop to buy new gear! And little details (slowing down of the hero when crossing rivers or pikes, the animation when going down a ladder...) gives the game a superior quality. Every level is different. The short music, without being fantastic, is nice and doesn't get on your nerves. Congrats Arnaud! 8th??? This is a joke...
Wow  :o
Very very thanks to your review, that's what every homebrew developer would like to read about its works  :D
It' nice you noticed the little details and the variety of levels, i give a lot of importance to these points.

And thanks again to CED and CPC-Power for the great intro.

reidrac

Sooo... I have played ALL the games, on a REAL CPC6128. Here is my review for each of them. Please remember that this is my opinion and you might find it quite controversial, especially when you compare my results with the ones made by the jury. More on this at the bottom...

I haven't played all the games, so I don't know if I can agree, but thanks for this. I think this feedback is gold, even if these aren't my games, I'm taking notes!

This is the best a game developer can have: someone that plays the game and provides honest feedback (even if a bit blunt at a times, I guess there's a bit of English being your 2nd language).

I've read other posts (including in amstrad.es) where people mention other games than the winners and I think that's very healthy. I love that the community doesn't have a flat uniform taste, specially when a competition like this one is perfect for experiments.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

roudoudou

Thanks @Targhan without your review i would not have tried Taulellets which is pretty fun to play!
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

tastefulmrship

BringRG Back
The scrolling with sprites is not a bad idea. But there monsters are impossible to lose...
FYI: You can shoot the monsters with I, J, K & L while moving with W, A, S, & D.
I love this game and hope the developer decides to create a 128kb version with backgrounds, more monsters and music! A great effort!