News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPCRetroDev 2020

Started by CPCRetroDev, 18:23, 13 July 20

Previous topic - Next topic

krusty_benediction

Quote from: roudoudou on 18:04, 14 November 20
i have issues with Krusty DSK and CPCEC  ;D
maybe wrong archive?
Just tested this dsk included in the whole archive of all games:

• it works with winape and rvm
  • it works with my hxc usb
I can dig deeper if you are more precise

ronaldo

Quote from: Targhan on 15:55, 14 November 20
@CPCRetroDev I can't download "Fire Tyre" from the website, it seems the file isn't present anymore? Can you fix it please? Thanks a lot :) .

Edit: Oh well, I didn't see the "download all files" button. Anyway, the Fire Tyre file is still broken.

None of us can reproduce this problem. We all click the link and Fire Tyre downloads without any issue. The link does not appear to be broken, unless there is something we are missing.

Targhan

@ronaldo Do not worry, it is now working. Don't ask me why it wasn't though... The miracle of the internet. Sorry for the trouble.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

zeropolis79

Is there somewhere where I can download the games from previous years at all please?

Thanks

skylas

Quote from: zeropolis79 on 23:09, 14 November 20
Is there somewhere where I can download the games from previous years at all please?

Thanks
http://cpcretrodev.byterealms.com/cpcretrodev-2020-2/
Choose the contest of each year in tab <contest> and there is a download link for downloading all games of each year
Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET!, PENALTY KICKS!, CAPITAL QUIZ!, CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition), HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ), HEART CHASER 1,2,3!, BARBOUTI!, STROOPIE!, AMSTABOO!
TEXT ADVENTURES:
BUDRUMI!, ART WAR!, BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!, RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE 1 and 2!

zeropolis79

ervin

Quote from: Arnaud on 16:04, 14 November 20
When the level will changed ? When enough food was taken ?

You can enter the next level by collecting all the food in the order it appears.
The yellow door will open, and then you can go down into the green area.
The green area is "level 2".

norecess464

Congratulations to everyone involved in this contest. The first ranked entries are amazing, lots of skills there !! I'm seriously impressed. BRAVO !!!
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

skylas

I see this error message using winape for the dsk files of karting garden and some other games also. Tried java too.
Does anyone else has this problem? any other way to play the game?
Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET!, PENALTY KICKS!, CAPITAL QUIZ!, CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition), HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ), HEART CHASER 1,2,3!, BARBOUTI!, STROOPIE!, AMSTABOO!
TEXT ADVENTURES:
BUDRUMI!, ART WAR!, BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!, RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE 1 and 2!

VincentGR

Same here tested on WinCPC, only cassette version works.

XeNoMoRPH

Quote from: krusty_benediction on 15:14, 14 November 20
Congrats to all participants.
However, I have to admit that it is quite frustrating to discover that the winner game targets emulator and no real CPC as it cannot run properly on all configurations of CPC + CTM.
Mine is set up to roll when a screen is not at 50hz (I guess it is the case for all demomakers) and as the game is far from it, it always rolls.
If it is a bug, I would be happy to help to fix it.If it is a feature to have more machine time than what is expected in a frame, it is not a really fair approach.
I have reported the bug to the programmer and they will release a patch to correct it
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

mr_lou

Quote from: krusty_benediction on 15:14, 14 November 20
However, I have to admit that it is quite frustrating to discover that the winner game targets emulator and no real CPC as it cannot run properly on all configurations of CPC + CTM.

I'm preparing for a retrogaming day tomorrow with a couple of friends, so setting up computers and running small tests today. Gotta admit I'm also finding it a bit sad to see "The Abduction of Oscar Z" not running correctly on neither my CPC6128 nor my CPC464, testing on two different CRT TV's and a LED one. The colours are all wrong no matter what CPC and display I use.
Smooth movement though, but wrong colors. Why? A bug? Fixable?

krusty_benediction

Quote from: mr_lou on 15:53, 20 November 20
I'm preparing for a retrogaming day tomorrow with a couple of friends, so setting up computers and running small tests today. Gotta admit I'm also finding it a bit sad to see "The Abduction of Oscar Z" not running correctly on neither my CPC6128 nor my CPC464, testing on two different CRT TV's and a LED one. The colours are all wrong no matter what CPC and display I use.
Smooth movement though, but wrong colors. Why? A bug? Fixable?
wrong and CPC compatible ? or wrong and not CPC compatible ?
In the first case, no idea of what is happening.In the second case, I do not think it is related to the bug I mentioned; it is probably more related to the method used to make the scrolling. @Syx or @PulkoMandy could explain more, but if I understand well we can cheat no CTM monitor to generate non amstrad compatible colors by playing with the HBL width and I'm pretty sure the scroller plays with the HBL width.

mr_lou

Quote from: krusty_benediction on 17:50, 20 November 20
wrong and CPC compatible ? or wrong and not CPC compatible ?

It runs on the CPC6128 and CPC464, and the scrolling is also nice and smooth (except on the LCD of course), but all the colours are dark. Many of them just black.

rexbeng

That's interesting. It makes me curious enough but I unfortunately cannot test games (not even the ones I make myself) on original hardware as I dont have an actual CPC around at the moment.

So Krusty reports AoOZ doesnt run properly on CTM and mr_lou reports that it doesnt run on actual CPC with a third party CRT (or did mr_lou try it on CTM as well?). On the other hand I think Targhan mentioned the game to work fine on his CPC; but was that on a CTM?

Any other people tried to run it on CTM?

mr_lou

My CTM is in storage, so I didn't try that no.

TotO

@rexbeng I know two peoples running AoOZ fine on CPC + CTM but reporting a problem with other display like LCD TV or amiga/st monitors. By the way, this kind of problem isn't new with R3 scrolling as you know (edge grinder, relentless, ...)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

rexbeng

Yes I am aware of how R3 might not work with certain 3rd party displays, but in the case of AoOZ I was puzzled by the fact that Krusty reported it wasnt working on CTM. I havent looked at the game very carefully but at first glance I thought it was using more or less the same approach as the Super Mario 'demo' by Rhino, but on the other hand it seems as if not having the same colour restrictions. I am not sure though; need to take a closer look. But anyway, like I said, I am curious.

Targhan

Quote from: rexbeng on 20:47, 20 November 20On the other hand I think Targhan mentioned the game to work fine on his CPC; but was that on a CTM?
Yes sir, played all the game on an good ol'CTM. The Abduction worked very well with it (though I did notice a brief flickering once in a while).
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

krusty_benediction

Quote from: TotO on 21:41, 20 November 20
@rexbeng I know two peoples running AoOZ fine on CPC + CTM but reporting a problem with other display like LCD TV or amiga/st monitors. By the way, this kind of problem isn't new with R3 scrolling as you know (edge grinder, relentless, ...)
Just to clarify for my ctm, the problem s because the screen is not at 50hz. I do not think it is related to the r3 issue

TotO

So, have you tried to adjust the vertical sync potentiometer on the back of the monitor to see if you have this game and others working too?
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

krusty_benediction

Quote from: TotO on 08:46, 21 November 20
So, have you tried to adjust the vertical sync potentiometer on the back of the monitor to see if you have this game and others working too?
Of course, not ;) I need to keep this exact configuration to debug my demo and I do not want touch vhold setting in case I'm unable to reach it.

TotO

So, how do you know that your CTM vhold setting is "perfect"? With a custom software?

krusty_benediction

I guarantee that it is perfect with any software that plays with CRTC in a way that always respects 312 lines per frame because it always displays the image correctly.
When it is not at 50hz, it rolls; but here I do not guarantee the tolerance (it may not roll when a screen is not at 50hz if the difference is subtle, but I am unable to verify that. For example for prince dastan I respect the 312 lines per frame, but not the 64 nops per line for the single frame where I change R2 to remove the border on the left, but it is not noticeable on a CTM).It is not a big deal when screens go from standard screen to overscan without transition because only one frame is not at 50hz, and after a few frames the monitor displays perfectly the image (if the screen is at 50hz).
But it is a problem when no frame is at 50hz, because the monitor is not stable at all.
Anyway my monitor is not the issue there ;)
Tons of demos do not respect this 50Hz stuff (most of them I guess); but I guess that most games respect it.

Nich

Quote from: rexbeng on 20:47, 20 November 20
So Krusty reports AoOZ doesnt run properly on CTM and mr_lou reports that it doesnt run on actual CPC with a third party CRT (or did mr_lou try it on CTM as well?). On the other hand I think Targhan mentioned the game to work fine on his CPC; but was that on a CTM?

Any other people tried to run it on CTM?

I have played The Abduction of Oscar Z on my CPC using a CTM644. I had no issues with the palette, but when I used the flying saucer on the first level, the stars in the background became very blurred and the scrolling seemed to become a bit jerky.