News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPCRetroDev 2020

Started by CPCRetroDev, 18:23, 13 July 20

Previous topic - Next topic

CPCRetroDev

Greetings to all! From the organization, we have the pleasure to officially announce #CPCRetroDev 2020, the 8th edition of the retro games creation contest from the University of Alicante.
Once again, we invite everyone to participate in the competition, either through the experience of developing a game, as well as enjoying every one of those who submit to this new edition.

In this edition, we pay tribute with a reference to one of the games which marked a turning point for the video game industry and which its version for Amstrad made by Broderbund just turned 30 years.
Of course, we are talking about Prince of Persia (1990).

You can find more information on the official page of the contest.
http://cpcretrodev.byterealms.com/contest-en/cpcretrodev-2020-2/

Watch @CPCRetroDev twitter to be alert of all the news that we bring you this year.
And don't forget to comment with the hashtag #CPCRetroDev !!
Official account of the CPCRetroDev contest organized by the University of Alicante (UA).

Arnaud

Welcome to our new member @CPCRetroDev ;)

Who is thinking to participate to the contest this year ?
I think i'll have time to submit something.

skylas

Quote from: Arnaud on 20:00, 13 July 20
Welcome to our new member @CPCRetroDev ;)

Who is thinking to participate to the contest this year ?
I think i'll have time to submit something.
i will participate with a small game in Basic, as usual, just for the fun, and hoping that i will get my first point this year! :-D

Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET ON AMSTRAD CPC!
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition)
HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ)
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!
ART WAR!
BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!
AMSTABOO!
RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE!

mr_lou

Quote from: skylas on 00:39, 14 July 20
i will participate with a small game in Basic, as usual, just for the fun, and hoping that i will get my first point this year! :-D

Nice!
I liked when there was a BASIC category. I don't think there is one anymore though.
If I manage to complete the BASIC game I'm currently fiddling with when I have time to spare, then I'll probably enter that one as well. I doubt I'll have the time though.... but we'll see.

awergh

I have been working on my entry for a couple of weeks so it is good to have it announced. ;D
I am not sure how I am going to reference Prince of Persia, I was expecting the gesture to be for a Spanish game I have never heard of instead.

I see on the website it says Thursday 3 November which isn't the right day of the week, obviously to fix this it should say 5 November to give an extra two days because by the end I'm sure I'm not the only one who will need it  :P . Hopefully I get to bed earlier on the submission night this year.

skylas

Quote from: mr_lou on 06:12, 14 July 20
Nice!
I liked when there was a BASIC category. I don't think there is one anymore though.
If I manage to complete the BASIC game I'm currently fiddling with when I have time to spare, then I'll probably enter that one as well. I doubt I'll have the time though.... but we'll see.
happy to see that you try also a basic game.
I liked it too, when there was a basic category, but i believe that there were not so much basic games, thats why they changed that.
Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET ON AMSTRAD CPC!
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition)
HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ)
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!
ART WAR!
BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!
AMSTABOO!
RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE!

ervin

Quote from: mr_lou on 06:12, 14 July 20

8 bits de poder (8BP) is listed as one of the recommended dev tools.
That can be used to make something outstanding in BASIC.

ervin

I've been thinking about a game idea for a few weeks now.
I have nothing to show for it, as my normal job has been smashing me - we're in crunch mode on a very large project.
Hopefully I'll have time to put together an entry for the comp, I'd love to take part.

AMSDOS

The Amstrad CPC BASIC used to get some impressive 10-Liners back in the day when a bit of Machine Code was added to it. The beauty with this compo, being it doesn't hold back what's allowed. Simply acknowledge who coded what, and if it's 11 Lines or more, it won't be added to the WILD category.  8)
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

CPCRetroDev

Quote from: awergh on 08:20, 14 July 20
I see on the website it says Thursday 3 November which isn't the right day of the week, obviously to fix this it should say 5 November to give an extra two days because by the end I'm sure I'm not the only one who will need it  :P . Hopefully I get to bed earlier on the submission night this year.
We are so sorry. That was a translation mistake, we've fixed it.  :picard:
Actually, it's on TUESDAY 3th of November. It would be great having extra time, but it's not possible, the judges hardly have time to review all the games.
However, thanks for report it!! :D

Will you surprise us this year with a new title from the Fitzroy saga?  ;D
Official account of the CPCRetroDev contest organized by the University of Alicante (UA).

awergh

Quote from: CPCRetroDev on 11:47, 14 July 20We are so sorry. That was a translation mistake, we've fixed it. 
Actually, it's on TUESDAY 3th of November. It would be great having extra time, but it's not possible, the judges hardly have time to review all the games.
However, thanks for report it!!
I guess we can't have the judges falling asleep in the award ceremony because they haven't slept for a week can we. :laugh:

Quote from: CPCRetroDev on 11:47, 14 July 20
Will you surprise us this year with a new title from the Fitzroy saga? 
How did you guess? now it can't be a surprise  :P but yes that is the plan. ;D

Arnaud

Quote from: CPCRetroDev on 18:23, 13 July 20
In this edition, we pay tribute with a reference to one of the games which marked a turning point for the video game industry and which its version for Amstrad made by Broderbund just turned 30 years.
Of course, we are talking about Prince of Persia (1990).

Is a decor element as a window or painting can be considered as a valid reference ?

CPCRetroDev

Quote from: Arnaud on 16:32, 14 July 20
Is a decor element as a window or painting can be considered as a valid reference ?

You'll have to wait for the contest rules to be published for more details.
I couldn't answer that yet. Sorry  :(

CPCRetroDev

We're glad to announce that Arcade Vintage will give, once again, it's special mention to the best arcade game with an amount of 150€!

CPCRetroDev

Here's other new award! Ready and Play is going to give a special mention to the "Best Newcomer Game" with an amount of 70€!

Otto

My dear Spanish friends who host this fine CPC-Retro-Dev contest, this is great news. Many thanks for your important work.

This contest I showed to my fledgeling son and surprisingly he wants to participate... well, the lads love to contest, don't they? I used to teach him a modern high-level language and also retro gaming, but only your contest wakes him now to do the first steps on a CPC and the first low-level steps on top of that. It's also a good way to learn the basics of computing in an oversee-able and manageable environment (one of CPCtelera's aims, as Prof Ronaldo explained IIRC). Well done, Spanish friends: CPC-retro second-generation.

We can't wait to see what all those CPC Retro Dev 2020 participants are going to think up.
Good luck all.

XeNoMoRPH

QuoteThis is  ′ Sinclair ", main character for the #AmstradCPCGamedev2020 contest, and his dog. Performed by Pascal Visa as a graphic designer for the Sugar team (with Claire CheshireCat on code and Joseph Dubreuil on music). Category : "point and click ".

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

mr_lou

Here's a great idea @Gryzor

CPCwiki to sponsor CPCretrodev by offering an award for the best BASIC game.  :)

CPCRetroDev

Keep on the groove! IndieGameMusic.com will be giving a special award of 75€ to the game with the best music submitted to #CPCRetroDev.

Gryzor

Quote from: mr_lou on 06:04, 25 July 20
Here's a great idea @Gryzor

CPCwiki to sponsor CPCretrodev by offering an award for the best BASIC game.  :)

I think CPCRetroDev is pretty self-sufficient and self-sponsored. I don't think much could be done in the way of 'sponsoring' it.

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Arnaud

I don't know if it's a game for cpcretrodev, but it's a really interesting project.

Gryzor

This looks awesome...

norecess464

Yes the video is blurred so it's hard to really distinguish details etc.

But it looks visually great, I like the style !! The lack of colorful graphics does not seem to be a problem here.
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

Gryzor

Indeed the video is terrible, but you can still see the level of detail and lovely pixel aesthetics. I really don't mind the lack of color 🙂