News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPCRetroDev 2020

Started by CPCRetroDev, 18:23, 13 July 20

Previous topic - Next topic

ervin

Quote from: Arnaud on 08:14, 14 November 20
Thanks, one moment i was thinking i would be 5th  ;D

@ervin what do you think about your placing ? I remembered your game was technically appreciate.

I was surprised I placed that high.
I don't think Goatfish deserved to be in the top 20.
I guess the judges thought it was interesting!

I suppose it means that I would have placed higher if I had managed to include all my ideas and actually finish the game.
Little hint: if you play through to level 3, there is a "sad surprise".
The game is *very* short, so it shouldn't take long!

Arnaud

Quote from: ervin on 08:22, 14 November 20I suppose it means that I would have placed higher if I had managed to include all my ideas and actually finish the game.
Will you continue to work on it ?

Quote from: ervin on 08:22, 14 November 20Little hint: if you play through to level 3, there is a "sad surprise".
Of course i'll play it.

ervin

Quote from: Arnaud on 08:28, 14 November 20
Will you continue to work on it ?
Of course i'll played it.

I'm considering taking out double-buffering.
This will introduce some screen-tearing, but then I'll have enough RAM to add things back in, and maybe release something worth playing.
I've got an idea that might make the game a bit faster/smoother as well...

Arnaud

@awergh i am sorry your game was not in the award ceremony.
I am almost sure it's because the manual was missing and the jury don't understand how play with it in the little time they have for evaluate each game.

awergh

Quote from: Arnaud on 08:49, 14 November 20
@awergh i am sorry your game was not in the award ceremony.
I am almost sure it's because the manual was missing and the jury don't understand how play with it in the little time they have for evaluate each game.
Thanks that is my guess of what happened too because I didn't write a game that was straightforward to play and was a little clunky because user interactions are hard.
I guessed that this might happen and I wrote as much in the draft for the post about the game for cpcwiki (I wrote it in advanced because it seemed like a good idea to be prepared).
However even being right with my expectations didn't make me feel any less disappointed.

My impression from the rules was that they had a semifinal to narrow down to 36 games which were then passed to the jury for judging.
This isn't very transparent so I hope in future they provide greater feedback for the short list.

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Otto

Quote from: Arnaud on 07:54, 14 November 20Now i am waiting the replay on youtube with substitules because sometime the speaking in spanish was so quickly i don't understand  :D
No matter if they spoke fast or slow, all the Spanish talk was Greek to me.

Fortunately the moving game-name graphics on the left of the Youtube live screen I understood, so I could follow the scores given. :-)   At some times there were more than 200 spectators on Youtube allone.

So all in all, a really nice event.

zeropolis79

When will the games be avaliable to play?

skylas

Congratulations to all the developers for the game! Cant wait to play them.
My game did not manage to enter the final, but i believe that this year the number and the quality of the game was much higher, so thats normal.
Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET!, PENALTY KICKS!, CAPITAL QUIZ!, CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition), HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ), HEART CHASER 1,2,3!, BARBOUTI!, STROOPIE!, AMSTABOO!
TEXT ADVENTURES:
BUDRUMI!, ART WAR!, BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!, RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE 1 and 2!

CPCRetroDev

Greetings!

And one more year finishes the #CPCRetroDev 2020. In this year so complicated for all, the contest has stood out especially in both quantity and quality of the games presented.
Congratulations to all the developers of the 51 games presented. Regardless of the result of the table, you should all feel proud of the great effort invested in achieving a finished game. All and each one are small parts of a whole that allows us to form every year the #CPCRetroDev.
This thanks goes to all of you! Thank you!  ;)

I hope you all have enjoyed this eighth award ceremony so special given the circumstances that concern us (and a little bumpy, everything has to be said), but in which year after year the RetroDev team give all our efforts to improve it.

Our work does not end here, now comes the time to begin production of the cassette with the collection of all the games of this edition. But in the meantime, here you have finally the list of the games available for download!
Enjoy them :P
http://cpcretrodev.byterealms.com/cpcretrodev-2020-2/

Congratulations to the winners, but also to the whole CPC community, one more year we have hundreds of hours of new games!!!
Official account of the CPCRetroDev contest organized by the University of Alicante (UA).

zeropolis79

Thanks for that - going to stick them on my Gotek later and run them on my Plus... (or emulator in the case of tape files)...

I always say the more CPC games the better.

krusty_benediction

Congrats to all participants.
However, I have to admit that it is quite frustrating to discover that the winner game targets emulator and no real CPC as it cannot run properly on all configurations of CPC + CTM.
Mine is set up to roll when a screen is not at 50hz (I guess it is the case for all demomakers) and as the game is far from it, it always rolls.
If it is a bug, I would be happy to help to fix it.If it is a feature to have more machine time than what is expected in a frame, it is not a really fair approach.

XeNoMoRPH

Quote from: mr_lou on 07:37, 14 November 20
Some great games as always, which I'm looking forward to play in depth in the near future.  :)

@Xyphoe Any chance your stream from last night will be available as a video? I'm not as full of energy as most of you young people. I can't stay awake during those late streams.  :)
are you looking for this video maybe ?

https://youtu.be/LAiElizD_EU
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Targhan

@CPCRetroDev I can't download "Fire Tyre" from the website, it seems the file isn't present anymore? Can you fix it please? Thanks a lot :).

Edit: Oh well, I didn't see the "download all files" button. Anyway, the Fire Tyre file is still broken.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Arnaud

Quote from: Targhan on 15:55, 14 November 20
@CPCRetroDev I can't download "Fire Tyre" from the website, it seems the file isn't present anymore? Can you fix it please? Thanks a lot :).

Edit: Oh well, I didn't see the "download all files" button. Anyway, the Fire Tyre file is still broken.
No problem for me, i used 7zip to extract files.

Arnaud

Quote from: ervin on 08:22, 14 November 20Little hint: if you play through to level 3, there is a "sad surprise".
When the level will changed ? When enough food was taken ?

Targhan

QuoteNo problem for me, i used 7zip to extract files.

Oh well, it's working now. Nevermind.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Targhan

I have all the DSK and HXC. Anyone want me to upload them somewhere?
But... Both Promotion and LuzAzul have only SNA, no DSK. Does anyone have the latter?

Does it mean no one in the jury tested the game on a real CPC?
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Targhan

QuoteHowever, I have to admit that it is quite frustrating to discover that the winner game targets emulator and no real CPC as it cannot run properly on all configurations of CPC + CTM.

It works well on my CRTC1 (naked CPC with HxC)...
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

prototano

Quote from: Targhan on 16:54, 14 November 20
I have all the DSK and HXC. Anyone want me to upload them somewhere?
But... Both Promotion and LuzAzul have only SNA, no DSK. Does anyone have the latter?

Does it mean no one in the jury tested the game on a real CPC?
Hi, I'm one of the creators of Promotion, for the contest only is obligatory upload a CDT.Sadly in the way we organize the memory for the game was impossible make a DSK that loads the game properly and we didn't have enough time to fix it.We will try to fix the DSK problem and if we succeed will share it. :D

krusty_benediction

Quote from: Targhan on 17:36, 14 November 20
It works well on my CRTC1 (naked CPC with HxC)...
Because vhold setting of your CTM is configured in a permissive way. I do not want to touch my tuning because I'm not sure to obtain its current state that makes roll a demo effect I am working on (because it is buggy and not a 50hz as the game).
The abduction of Oscar z  uses around 20352 nops per frame instead of 19968 (probably a missing compensation when playing with CRTC register 5). So it is not what is expected by a CTM and I guess it is impossible to play with a CPC plugged to a modern TV or a videoprojector

roudoudou

Quote from: krusty_benediction on 17:50, 14 November 20
Because vhold setting of your CTM is configured in a permissive way. I do not want to touch my tuning because I'm not sure to obtain its current state that makes roll a demo effect I am working on (because it is buggy and not a 50hz as the game).
The abduction of Oscar z  uses around 20352 nops per frame instead of 19968 (probably a missing compensation when playing with CRTC register 5). So it is not what is expected by a CTM and I guess it is impossible to play with a CPC plugged to a modern TV or a videoprojector
49Hz instead of 50Hz, i guess that won't be a problem (51Hz, maybe)
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

krusty_benediction

Quote from: prototano on 17:41, 14 November 20
Hi, I'm one of the creators of Promotion, for the contest only is obligatory upload a CDT.Sadly in the way we organize the memory for the game was impossible make a DSK that loads the game properly and we didn't have enough time to fix it.We will try to fix the DSK problem and if we succeed will share it. :D
I have also coded a different loader for the disc and cassette version. However, I wonder if it is an error. After thinking about it, I think that to use a basic loader instead of a binary loader would allow using exactly the same loading code for disc and tape version (ie removal of the stuff specific to the disc initialization and drive selection).The solution would be to have a basic file that contains the binary loader after the basic lines and call it.

roudoudou

i have issues with Krusty DSK and CPCEC  ;D
maybe wrong archive?
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Targhan

QuoteHi, I'm one of the creators of Promotion, for the contest only is obligatory upload a CDT

@prototano Thanks for that info. No problem, I understand the lack of time. I think a DSK would ultimately push more people to play on the real hardware, so if you can do it, that would be great :).
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime