News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

#CPCRetroDev Game Creation Contest 2019

Started by XeNoMoRPH, 13:28, 23 July 19

Previous topic - Next topic

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

XeNoMoRPH

XeNoMoRPH

TotO

I have watched it like Eurovision. ;D
Congratulation to the University winners doing as best as the bests! 8)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Nich

Quote from: TotO on 21:00, 08 November 19
I have watched it like Eurovision. ;D
Congratulation to the University winners doing as best as the bests! 8)

There was much less competition from the 'professionals' this year, though. ;)

reidrac

Congratulations to the winners and to all the participants!

It feels weird not having entries from some people, but looks like the top spots were very contested and that's very cool.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

AMSDOS

It was a nice surprise to collect some extra points for Playability (+9) and Arcade (+12) for "Jacks Bubble Island" :D

It'll be interesting to play some those other entries. :)
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

skylas

Congrats AMSDOS! And of course congrats to all participants!Waiting to play the games!I wonder if there are other games in BASIC only, except mine, does anyone know?
Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET ON AMSTRAD CPC!
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition)
HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ)
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!
ART WAR!
BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!
AMSTABOO!
RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE!

teopl

I must agree that it looks like this year there was no such games like "operation alexandra" (although I must play them all to be 100% sure)

But anyway we enjoyed this so much! (yeah we had some wine after so what  :laugh: )

I congratulate to all and I am very happy that we reached the second place, this means a lot to us since we really did not expect such high ranking!

Although I understood some comments like "misterioso purpura"  :) - I will try to translate all the comments and watch the show again!

Thanks to Branho ( @brando464 ) for creating great graphics and music and help with the project in general and thanks to the jury for recognizing the effort...

And of course, a big thanks to the great Amstrad community!

awergh

Looks like they posted a link to all the games so you can go download them now.
https://twitter.com/CPCRetroDev/status/1192849720844132352

@skylas
In answer to your question I looked through all the source code and you are the only person to do an entry purely in BASIC, there are very few C entries too.
Looks like most entries are in Assembler and going by the structure of the source code they are constructed in a fairly similar way.

• DJD - Assembler (little bit of generated c for sprites)
  • CapitalQuiz - Basic
  • ResignationQuest - Assembler (bit of generated c for sprites)
  • RoninRevenge - Assembler
  • CPCRogue - C
  • PlantAttack - Assembler
  • MedievalBrawl - Assembler
  • Area51Raid - Assembler
  • AngryKitten - Assembler (bit of generated c for mapa2)
  • RetroTennisSuperWave - Assembler (bit of generated c for sprites)
  • ProjectThing - Assembler
  • CombatTendency - Assembler
  • PPSpaceMercenary - Assembler
  • JacksBubbleIsland - Basic and Assembler
  • Runninja - Assembler
  • FitzroyInTheDark - C
  • InvasionAMarte - Assembler (bit of generated c for sprites)
  • ShadowSoul - Assembler
  • UFODriver - Assembler
  • DiscRespect - Assembler (bit of generated c for sprites)
  • DragonEgg - Assembler
  • LeageOfTanks - Assembler
  • Shinobu - Assembler (bit of generated c for sprites and levels)
  • Jackstrad - Assembler
  • HappyMonty - Basic and Assembler
  • ManPac - Assembler (bit of generated c for sprites and levels)
  • WoodsRescue - Assembler (bit of generated c for sprites)
  • RatonesYMazmorras - Assembler
  • HeySailor - Assembler
  • SuperTongueDino - Assembler
  • BikeMasters - Assembler
  • Cobra - C and Assembler
  • Epimeteo - Assembler (different structure to all the others)
  • LudicBreakTheLoop - C (some assembler assets)
  • MissInput - Assembler

AMSDOS

I know Happy Monty is using the 8BP Library, it maybe including some Assembly as well but I don't know for sure if that's the case.

For Jack's Bubble Island, I've coded all my own Assembly Routines, in some places I used Index Registers to pass Variables to Assembly routines and in other places I've used BASIC PEEK & POKE to obtain to pass values to Assembly routines, so the BASIC coding of it looks like a C64 BASIC. I made a Hiscore Table which is Based on what I came up with for Destination Saturn (only with a more Structured approach rather than a Spaghetti look), to resolve a MEMORY FULL issue when variables aren't CLEARed, coding the Hiscore Table to Memory seems to work and variables can be cleared without Destroying the Hiscore Table (well I haven't had any further issues since writing it that way). For the Assembly parts, I've commented most of the Assembly or written in what I was doing, there is also BASIC code included to demostrate certain issues, I think apart from the Sprite Driver I wrote earlier, most of the other Assembly routines I added after were originally BASIC, but would been a compromise on the playability. If you're still stumped with the Techno Babble, then I could reconstruct an all-BASIC version to run through CPC BASIC 3 Compiler perhaps.

On a different note I was looking at low place running getter Ronin Revenge which didn't receive 25 points for the Astro Marine Corps tribute, though on the Game Over Screen it appears to have a Plant in between the Game Over!  :o  (Maybe misses out for not being during gameplay I think).

Your Computer Programs

awergh

@AMSDOS
I simply looked at the source code included with each of the entries to work it out.
Using an arbitrary measure like lines of code it has more lines of BASIC than your entry but lines of code is often a meaningless metric its more just a point of interest.

I am curious how each of the games implemented the gesture.
I understand it is supposed to have some impact on the gameplay which might be why it didn't get the points or they didn't explain it properly.

AMSDOS

Quote from: awergh on 07:50, 09 November 19
@AMSDOS
I simply looked at the source code included with each of the entries to work it out.
Using an arbitrary measure like lines of code it has more lines of BASIC than your entry but lines of code is often a meaningless metric its more just a point of interest.

Sorry, I did see the Link to Download all the games, I was hoping that the Individual Downloads will be provided too.
I was only wondering apart from 8bp how much of Happy Monty was assembly. It's not meant to be a criticism towards 8bp since it's a valid tool to use for producing BASIC games with an advantage of necessarily having to know assembly to produce a more commercial quality game.
For my entry I took to writing Assembly routines to function with the BASIC, though I'm only at fundamental Assembly level and relying on Firmware for some of the tasks, which was still interesting.

QuoteI am curious how each of the games implemented the gesture.
I understand it is supposed to have some impact on the gameplay which might be why it didn't get the points or they didn't explain it properly.

When you loose a life a plant eats you, in my game the Bubble consumes my character, the ground opens up and the Bubble is eaten by the Plant, which I explained in the manual just in case they didn't know what that was meant to be.  :)  I can only imagine Ronin Revenge it's not as clear, the video has you die once with that game over being presented and it wasn't mentioned in the manual or because the game switches from a game playing screen to the game over screen it's suddenly not part of the gameplay.

Your Computer Programs

awergh

Quote from: AMSDOS on 10:04, 09 November 19

When you loose a life a plant eats you, in my game the Bubble consumes my character, the ground opens up and the Bubble is eaten by the Plant, which I explained in the manual just in case they didn't know what that was meant to be.  :)  I can only imagine Ronin Revenge it's not as clear, the video has you die once with that game over being presented and it wasn't mentioned in the manual or because the game switches from a game playing screen to the game over screen it's suddenly not part of the gameplay.

Yes adding an explanation seems like a good thing. Doing a last second sanity check comparing what I submitted last year to this year I realised I'd forgotten to do it and had to quickly scramble to find a screenshot to send them. In my game the plant is effectively a guard to one of the level exits and you have to appease it in order to complete the level. If you try to attack the plan then you die (not quite living up to the vision (I was planning to change the palette and then kill you) but an effective solution.

keith56

For the record, I'm told the 'Discrespect' game uses various music files from ChibiAkumas.

I wasn't aware of this until today, but I've previously stated that people are welcome to use my game content in whatever way they wish, so I have no problem with this.
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

skylas

Quote from: awergh on 03:43, 09 November 19
Looks like they posted a link to all the games so you can go download them now.
https://twitter.com/CPCRetroDev/status/1192849720844132352

@skylas
In answer to your question I looked through all the source code and you are the only person to do an entry purely in BASIC, there are very few C entries too.
Looks like most entries are in Assembler and going by the structure of the source code they are constructed in a fairly similar way.

• DJD - Assembler (little bit of generated c for sprites)
  • CapitalQuiz - Basic
  • ResignationQuest - Assembler (bit of generated c for sprites)
  • RoninRevenge - Assembler
  • CPCRogue - C
  • PlantAttack - Assembler
  • MedievalBrawl - Assembler
  • Area51Raid - Assembler
  • AngryKitten - Assembler (bit of generated c for mapa2)
  • RetroTennisSuperWave - Assembler (bit of generated c for sprites)
  • ProjectThing - Assembler
  • CombatTendency - Assembler
  • PPSpaceMercenary - Assembler
  • JacksBubbleIsland - Basic and Assembler
  • Runninja - Assembler
  • FitzroyInTheDark - C
  • InvasionAMarte - Assembler (bit of generated c for sprites)
  • ShadowSoul - Assembler
  • UFODriver - Assembler
  • DiscRespect - Assembler (bit of generated c for sprites)
  • DragonEgg - Assembler
  • LeageOfTanks - Assembler
  • Shinobu - Assembler (bit of generated c for sprites and levels)
  • Jackstrad - Assembler
  • HappyMonty - Basic and Assembler
  • ManPac - Assembler (bit of generated c for sprites and levels)
  • WoodsRescue - Assembler (bit of generated c for sprites)
  • RatonesYMazmorras - Assembler
  • HeySailor - Assembler
  • SuperTongueDino - Assembler
  • BikeMasters - Assembler
  • Cobra - C and Assembler
  • Epimeteo - Assembler (different structure to all the others)
  • LudicBreakTheLoop - C (some assembler assets)
  • MissInput - Assembler
Many thx awergh! and congrats for your game!
Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET ON AMSTRAD CPC!
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition)
HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ)
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!
ART WAR!
BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!
AMSTABOO!
RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE!

Dubliner

Quote from: teopl on 02:23, 09 November 19
I must agree that it looks like this year there was no such games like "operation alexandra" (although I must play them all to be 100% sure)

But anyway we enjoyed this so much! (yeah we had some wine after so what  :laugh: )

I congratulate to all and I am very happy that we reached the second place, this means a lot to us since we really did not expect such high ranking!

Although I understood some comments like "misterioso purpura"  :) - I will try to translate all the comments and watch the show again!

Thanks to Branho ( @brando464 ) for creating great graphics and music and help with the project in general and thanks to the jury for recognizing the effort...

And of course, a big thanks to the great Amstrad community!
Now, please, make this a Big Box release including printed comic and so. I have my money ready for it  :D

GUNHED

What we see here is the rise of the monochrome MODE 2 games (and... see #2: underscan MODE 1 games). So this is some kind of invitation to make a PcW version too, right?  ;D
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Nich

Quote from: keith56 on 13:34, 09 November 19
For the record, I'm told the 'Discrespect' game uses various music files from ChibiAkumas.

I wasn't aware of this until today, but I've previously stated that people are welcome to use my game content in whatever way they wish, so I have no problem with this.

The developers could (and should) at least have had the decency to credit you.

TotO

Now, we can understand better the name of the game. ;D
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

keith56

Quote from: Nich on 12:29, 10 November 19
The developers could (and should) at least have had the decency to credit you.

I have received a very polite personal Email from the author of this game, I've re-iterated to them they are welcome to continue using my music or other content for commercial or non commercial purposes in whatever way they wish.
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

XeNoMoRPH