News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

#CPCRetroDev2022

Started by CPCRetroDev, 16:42, 08 July 22

Previous topic - Next topic

Jean-Marie

Jean-Marie

Jean-Marie

42 entries seems to be the new record of participation. We counted 41 entries in 2018.
"After months of hard work and lot of increasing interest, no less than 41 new games have entered #CPCRetroDev 2018. An outstanding record that will be incredibly difficult to beat for sure."
No BASIC games this year.

skylas

Quote from: Jean-Marie on 00:53, 03 November 2242 entries seems to be the new record of participation. We counted 41 entries in 2018.
"After months of hard work and lot of increasing interest, no less than 41 new games have entered #CPCRetroDev 2018. An outstanding record that will be incredibly difficult to beat for sure."
No BASIC games this year.
Tiny deathmatch is in BASIC. There is also a .BIN file in the disk, but the game is no different if you delete it and run the .BAS game. 
I didn't find any other game in BASIC in the other games.
Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET!, PENALTY KICKS!, CAPITAL QUIZ!, CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition), HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ), HEART CHASER 1,2,3!, BARBOUTI!, STROOPIE!, AMSTABOO!
TEXT ADVENTURES:
BUDRUMI!, ART WAR!, BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!, RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE 1 and 2!

ervin

Go To My Planet is written in BASIC but uses 8BP.
Does that count?

Jean-Marie

Well , I had it all wrong. there were 49 entries in 2020. I made a quick excel sheet from CPCPower database.

Jean-Marie

Quote from: ervin on 01:41, 03 November 22Go To My Planet is written in BASIC but uses 8BP.
Does that count?

Nope : one cannot use RSX, nor assembly snipets of code...
"As last year, their 100€ will be divided into 2 prizes of 60€ and 40€ that will be awarded to the two best games developed in BASIC without the use of external libraries."

Carnivius

Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

XeNoMoRPH

Quote from: Carnivius on 12:28, 03 November 22
Quote from: XeNoMoRPH on 22:03, 02 November 22

Sequel to his own Hire Hare he did for the 2016 contest? 
http://cngsoft.no-ip.org/hirehare.htm

Hecatia is back! After defeating the feared Lycurgus in "Hire Hare", Hecatia has dared accepting the challenge of the dangerous wizards Glanosuchus and Alopecodon, who turned a mansion into their stronghold. Will Hecatia succeed in this dire dare?
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Nich

Quote from: ervin on 22:16, 02 November 22Wow! That's on a different level. We could be looking at the winner here!

I hope so. It's about time @cngsoft won the competition and I think this might just be the year it will happen - fingers crossed!

ronaldo

Hi guys!

The CPCRetroDev needs your help! We need your expert opinion to chose a game for AUA's award to Public Vote  :)

Voting works as follows:
  • You vote by comparing 3 games chosen at random
  • You can vote once per day ('till 9/nov inclusive)

With your help, the game that deserves it most will win Public Vote Prize, sponsored by AUA  :D

Hope you enjoy the contest and the games!

Nich

Quote from: ronaldo on 18:47, 03 November 22Voting works as follows:

With your help, the game that deserves it most will win Public Vote Prize, sponsored by AUA  :D
If the voting takes place over 7 days, and each voter can only rate 3 games per day, then that means each voter can only rate 21 games in total - but as there are 42 entries, how do we know that the distribution of games to rate among the voters is balanced? Some games could potentially receive many more requests than others, which doesn't seem very fair to me.

Fran123

Quote from: Nich on 19:38, 03 November 22
Quote from: ronaldo on 18:47, 03 November 22Voting works as follows:

If the voting takes place over 7 days, and each voter can only rate 3 games per day, then that means each voter can only rate 21 games in total - but as there are 42 entries, how do we know that the distribution of games to rate among the voters is balanced? Some games could potentially receive many more requests than others, which doesn't seem very fair to me.
great observation,
maybe you should ask it on the itch.io page (community)

ronaldo

Quote from: Nich on 19:38, 03 November 22If the voting takes place over 7 days, and each voter can only rate 3 games per day, then that means each voter can only rate 21 games in total - but as there are 42 entries, how do we know that the distribution of games to rate among the voters is balanced? Some games could potentially receive many more requests than others, which doesn't seem very fair to me.

I'll rather prefer starting with a clear statement: I don't expect the system to be fair, as that would be quite an achievement :) . In my personal experience, I haven't had the opportunity to participate on or design a system that is actually fair. All systems I have known have advantages and disadvantages. My only expectation is being able to improve itchio's system we used on past year, which had many many problems.

With respect to voting, we are not expecting most of the voters to vote all 7 days. In fact, our expectation is that 7-days voters would be a minority. That's a design consideration: we are not relying on voters voting all days. Moreover, your observation is correct, but it is not considering how the system works. When you vote, you are not rating games individually. On the contrary, you are rating games comparatively. You are deciding which one is best and worst out of a random sample of 3. Therefore, if you actually were expected to "rate everything" you should vote (39 over 3) combinations, so you would need 54834 votes.

Of course, we are not depending on voters rating every possible comparison individually. We are relaying on statistics. We need a great sample of votes, not necessarily from the same person, comparing sets of 3 games. With a great sample, statistical estimations will be nice approximations. That will be enough for the system to work correctly, as we have designed it.

Our main concern is that the system requires many votes. We expected to get 500-1000 individual votes, extrapolating on what we had past year on itchio. However, as this first day is going over, it seems we will probably get much less than that, if things doesn't change. That would make statistical estimations worse, of course.

In any case, it is a new system and it will have its own set of advantages and disadvantages. Depending on how it works, we may consider improving it for next years, or designing a new one. We are not affraid of the system performing badly. That's always a risk, no mather what you do. In fact, as I said, using itchio's system worked really bad last year. That's why we have been designing a new one :).

Be it as it may, just a last thought. Try not to judge the system based on traditional rating systems, because it is different. You are not issuing a stars or percentage rating. It works based on 3-way comparisons. It will have many things to be criticized for sure, but any proper analysis needs to start considering it different from traditional methods :)

In any case, hope it works better than last year. That would be a nice starting point for future discussions :)

ronaldo

CPCRetroDev 2022: Public Vote (Day #2 / #7)
sponsored by AUA

Your votes are greatly valuable to award the most deserved game!

Remember:
  • You compare 3 games 
  • You vote once a day

Thanks a million!

Enjoy! :D

ervin

I have to say, I'm really enjoying the voting process, as I am downloading and trying more of the games than I otherwise might have.

awergh

While I play all the games eventually it is a good way to play plenty of the games in a manageable way.
By voting once a day does that mean you can only vote every 24 hours or you can only vote on each day of voting?

After voting it looked like the second set of games included my own, I was hoping it would offer me everything but my own.
I doubt I can be entirely objective with rating my own game.

I will see what it offers me when I vote again later today.

ronaldo

Quote from: awergh on 04:57, 05 November 22While I play all the games eventually it is a good way to play plenty of the games in a manageable way.
By voting once a day does that mean you can only vote every 24 hours or you can only vote on each day of voting?

It means once every day. With a google form it's difficult to limit by user :). The limitation is for all users, so it means days from 00:00 to 23:59h.

Quote from: awergh on 04:57, 05 November 22After voting it looked like the second set of games included my own, I was hoping it would offer me everything but my own.
I doubt I can be entirely objective with rating my own game.

It would be nice that the system took this into account, but it would be quite complex. In fact, it would be easy to fool by simply using a different itchio account.

In any case, you would are usually able to vote to your own game in most systems. In this system, you can, if you are lucky enough to get your game in the 3 random ones you are assigned to vote. Like in other systems, that should tend to compensate with the number of total votes, as all participants vote their own games if they get them.

As I said before, the system is far from perfect, but in terms of advantages/disadvantages, it seems to be improving previous ones (at least, from our point of view).

ronaldo

CPCRetroDev 2022: Public Vote (Day #3 / #7)
sponsored by AUA

Votes received....153
Votes/day..........~41.5
Target votes.....>390
Days left............<5

We need your votes to award the most deserved game!

Remember:
  • You compare 3 games
  • You vote once a day

Thanks a million!

Enjoy! :D

XeNoMoRPH

your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

manossg

Congratulations to all participants!

TotO

Dire Dare and Penguin Attack (very funny MSX's styled game) was the best entries this year.
@cngsoft you are the isometric master. Gorgeous graphics and music. Please, Get Dexter 3 !!! 8)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

Awww I feel bad for Asteroid Strike! 

awergh

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:38, 12 November 22Awww I feel bad for Asteroid Strike!
It's a bit unfortunate that they didn't get any of the free points.
That said they did at least make the finals, there are three more games that were semi-finalists (tied for 37th).

Nich

Quote from: Nich on 16:25, 03 November 22I hope so. It's about time @cngsoft won the competition and I think this might just be the year it will happen - fingers crossed!

Aaargh, beaten again! :( Penguin Attack looked like it would be the overall winner, but Castaway sneaked past to claim the top spot right at the end.

Here's the official stream of the awards ceremony: