News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Edge Grinder released (really - DKS inside) - NEW GAME! WHAAAAAA!

Started by Gryzor, 18:44, 18 September 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Devilmarkus

Quote from: mr_lou on 14:44, 22 September 11
It's moving rather chunky. Probably easiest to just show a video.

http://dewfall.dk/MOV_0023.mp4

Are you using an original CTM monitor?
It looks weird, also the HUD @ bottom is shaking!!!
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

mr_lou

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 15:25, 22 September 11
Are you using an original CTM monitor?
It looks weird, also the HUD @ bottom is shaking!!!

No, using a Samsung LCD at the moment.
Just checked out Killer Cobra, and it's not running smoothly either, although not chunky. Just not smooth. So that's probably it.
With my limited knowledge, I didn't realize it came down to the monitor.

Bryce

It all depends on how you have connected it to the monitor. If he is constantly changing the Sync (CRTC R3), then only a real monitor will give you the correct result on a real CPC. Modulators such as the S-Video Modulator won't be able to display this properly. An MP1/2 might however.

Bryce.

mr_lou

I have been using a Phillips CRT TV for quite some time, until recently where I switched to a Samsung LCD TV. As far as I remember, the Phillips TV always gave smooth movement e.g. in Killer Cobra.
It's not smooth on this Samsung LCD.

Bryce

If you are connected with RGB through the SCART, then this is to be expected. The "analogue" SCART in older CRT TV's will swap frequencies back and forth all you like, but modern LCD TV's sample the incoming frequency at a set frequency and don't adjust according to the source signal.

Bryce.

mr_lou

Ok, so that must be why.
I hope to return to my Phillips CRT TV some day. But currently I have to use this LCD in order to save space.

TFM

So do we have a poked version of Edge Grinder now? Or do I have to do it by myself (and I have so few spare time). Eternal life would be enough ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Gryzor

Played it some more last night. Really frenetic... and addictive!! Really, well done!

tastefulmrship

Quote from: TFM/FS on 01:03, 23 September 11
So do we have a poked version of Edge Grinder now? Or do I have to do it by myself (and I have so few spare time). Eternal life would be enough ;-)
Two loader programs before I got bored...

ONE SHOT KILL
INFINITE LIVES

Copy to your .dsk and run it.

Gryzor

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 07:15, 23 September 11

ONE SHOT KILL
INFINITE LIVES

Tsk, tsk, you guys...

(grabs files and runs)

tastefulmrship

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:44, 23 September 11
Tsk, tsk, you guys...

(grabs files and runs)
I was going to do a whole load of stuff, but I got bored with cheating as the game is perfectly possible to complete without them (with a little practice).
If T&J hadn't mentioned the C64 cheats, I'd have never even looked into it for our version! (Though don't blame him, it's all my fault!)

Metr

Quote from: TFM/FS on 01:03, 23 September 11
Eternal life would be enough ;-)

Tons of people wasting time looking for the Holy Grail in the past, and they only had to look for the Sacred Poke..  ;)

TFM

Quote from: tastefulmrship on 07:15, 23 September 11

ONE SHOT KILL
INFINITE LIVES

Appreciate! I owe your one! You will be the first person who get's the nude patch for my Giana Sisters Clone, if there ever will be one ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Axelay

As requested, I've tried to write a bit of an explanation to the code for two of the main sets of routines in Edge Grinder, plus add some 'references' and things that didn't turn out quite as well as I'd have liked. No idea if it's going to be remotely interesting, but those who would rather gnaw off their own legs than read about coding might wish to stop now.  ;)

For the tile writing, I wanted to use the C64 tile and level data without modification as much as possible.  That meant approaching things a little differently to how I had handled backgrounds before, as I have previously used less versatile but faster "blocks" rather than "characters" and tiles.

The scrolling relies on two screens byte scrolled every other frame, at a 1 pixel offset from each other, so I needed to write two pixels, a byte column, to the right of the screen each frame.  As a side note, the mechanics of handling the Register 3 scrolling under interrupt are heavily based on Executioner's 2007 source example.  This meant after modifying it to suit 25fps and a different screen layout, I already had screen addresses being generated for the clear and write columns, the column clearing being handled under interrupt to utilise some unused CPU time, and I just needed to handle the column writing, essentially.

The play area is 20 characters high, so at 8 bytes high per character a buffer 160 bytes long is used.  Each frame, the bytes in the buffer have the right hand pixel shifted to the left hand position, and the new right pixel is masked in.  For the character data itself there were 256 characters, amounting to 4kb at 16 bytes each.  As there are also 256 bytes to a full page of memory, I thought it would be beneficial to try and store the character data such that the low byte was the "character id", and the high byte was the "byte pointer" within each character.  That way I could avoid any kind of multiplication to get a 16bit pointer to the character.  For example, with the character data starting at &6000, grabbing tile 1 would initially point to &6001, and the next byte would be at &6101, then &6201 and so on, meaning no multiplication and still an 8 bit inc to get the next byte.  I then used the same approach for the tile data, as there were over 200 of those and they were also 16 bytes each.

The character data is also not sequential top to bottom, but stored in a sequence that makes each pixel line a single set or reset after the next, the same way I described here.  I initially toyed with the idea of storing character data at a pixel per byte so no shifting or masking would be required for the data being read, but this would make the character data take 8kb in total, and only save about 10 scan lines of CPU, so I did not implement this.  With storing two pixels to a byte, there was the small issue whereby one frame would require the right pixel of the source byte, and another frame would require the left pixel and an initial shift right, meaning one frame would be a little slower (160 nops) if left as it was.  I remembered someone mentioning that Gryzor used alternately flipped bytes for it's sprites, so the left and right facing frames were stored as one with half the pixel pairs being flipped, and either facing taking the same CPU time to print. I used this same idea to 'even out' the CPU load of the tile writer.  In all, the tile writer takes around 70 scan lines to fill the buffer and then copy it to the screen.

The sprites were a more complicated prospect than the tile writer of course, and take the vast majority of the CPU time (almost 75%) with not only printing, but save and restore of background for all sprites required.  And this all needs to occur on a screen being horizontally scrolled in hardware, so with the length of the level I faced the dreaded screen address reset problem!  Something I avoided in Star Sabre by putting breaks in the background and resetting the screen base address before sprites crossing the reset point would be a problem.

In my last couple of projects, I have been using screen address list lookup tables that only store every other address (so sprite y does not need to be doubled and the lookup table fits on a single page of memory), and then using a sprite print routine that does two lines at once.  This seemed like it would be helpful in approaching the address reset, as it looked like it would be a lot easier handling address reset only when incrementing the screen  address pointer when the pixel line was 1,3,5 & 7 so the "overflow" was always bit 3 of the high byte becoming set.  ie, going from &c7ff to &c800, or &d7ff to &d800 have a much simpler fix than going from &cfff to &d000 or &dfff to &e000.  Of course, one inconvenience to handling sprites in line pairs was that the C64 sprites are 21 lines high but that really just meant extra code to handle the last line.

Also like my previous projects, the sprite printing is partially 'unrolled' (repeating some code X times rather than putting one instance of the code in loop that repeats X times, trading memory for a bit more speed) In Edge Grinder two pixel rows of sprite printing, 12 bytes, are handled inside a loop that repeats only 10 times.  There are also separate printing routines to handle all possible cases of sprites being partially on screen at the left and right edges.

My first approach had been to have two sprite print routines for fully visible sprites.  One 'fast print', which would start at the bottom left of the pixel line pair, then move up, then right, then down then right and so on, as in a square wave with the minimum of changes to the screen pointer.  Then there would be a routine for determining whether sprites were crossing the reset point, where I would use a 'safe print' routine (the screen edge routines would always be handled this 'safe' way).  This followed the same path, but it detoured through the top line of the pixel pair so that a single set or reset would ensure it was pointing where it was supposed to be afterwards.  I tried an alternative way where spare registers were used to 'save' the high byte of the pointer for the second pixel line's increment, but after all the masking required it was no faster.

However, by ordering the bytes differently, I found I could have a faster 'safe' version that started from the bottom left, moved to the byte above, then moved to the byte below and right to that one and continued in a kind of saw tooth path.  The speed difference between this and the original fast routine was sufficiently small after allowing for up to 2 of the slower 'safe prints', that I thought it would be preferable to use this second approach from the perspective of keeping the code simpler, and at a reasonably small cost in scan lines.

Saying that, I still maintained a screen address reset point as I found the speed improvement for using 'fast' and 'safe' versions of the background save & restore were quite a bit more significant (around 30 scan lines) because the fast versions could simply use ldi lists.

Something else I implemented and then took out was checking for background for all the sprites and then doing a save & restore only if background was covered by the sprite, or else a simple clear of the sprite otherwise.  This 'saved' around 120 scan lines when no sprites crossed background, but then I realised that when the player collided with background and all the other sprites were commandeered for the explosion, all sprites would be over background and so if I used any of this 'saved' CPU time at all there would be guaranteed slow down when the player died in a background collision!  An idea for another time perhaps.

The final change I made to the sprites was to convert the player and player bullet sprites to compiled sprites, as well as make a special routine for the player bullet that was a smaller sprite and only saving background that could be covered - the centre of the sprite collides with background so will never obscure it.  This saved an additional 25-30 scan lines all up, and basically meant the difference between being able to have the 50hz music it has instead of 25hz music.

Now having gone a tad over a 'couple of paragraphs', I shall end it there!  However, if anyone reading the source code has questions about it, please feel free to ask or PM me here or at Format War.

SyX

khisanth

Fantastic game! looks gorgeous and has a great sound track! Such smooth scrolling too  :)

Only thing I don't like is the multiple shots required for all enemies. makes certain situations impossible to avoid losing a life.

TMR

Quote from: khisanth on 19:40, 02 October 11
Only thing I don't like is the multiple shots required for all enemies. makes certain situations impossible to avoid losing a life.

There should be nowhere in Edge Grinder where it's impossible to get through without dying...

ervin

Fantastic post Axelay! Thanks very much for all that info.
I reckon I can learn a lot from all of that... once I've had time to study and understand it!

khisanth

Quote from: TMR on 21:51, 02 October 11
There should be nowhere in Edge Grinder where it's impossible to get through without dying...

;D

TMR

Quote from: khisanth on 16:49, 03 October 11
;D

Sorry, i should probably explain a bit better... i'm not telling people off and saying there shouldn't be places which are guaranteed to kill the player, i'm saying there aren't any places like that in Edge Grinder. i do have a certain degree of weight to put behind that statement since t'was me who originally designed the attack waves and selected the number of hits needed to kill each enemy.

The game is designed to be tough but possible to complete for a reasonable player because the primary challenge is racking up as high a score as possible rather than just surviving and, although i'm a little rusty right now (i'm told it may be osteoarthritis but really must get a second opinion) i've just finished the CPC version with no lives lost, a final score of 109,705 and no autofire.

TFM

I mean - honestly - in this game it all depends on autofire and joystick quality. I don't say that's a bad thing, just a fact ;-)
TFM of FutureSoft

khisanth

Okay fair enough, i guess I am so used to EVERY enemy in every shoot em up being one shot kills!  but it's something different

i will return with vigour and see how far i get

TMR

Quote from: TFM/FS on 20:39, 04 October 11
I mean - honestly - in this game it all depends on autofire and joystick quality. I don't say that's a bad thing, just a fact ;-)

If that were true i wouldn't be completing it with a battered and slightly dodgy official Playstation DualShock pad[1] that doesn't have an autofire... in fact, if that were true it wouldn't be possible to play to just past the fourth group of those green spinners that come through the middle of the play area like their bums are on fire to here...

...without having fired a single shot!

[1] i have to play in an emulator, i've only got a CPC464 at the moment...

khisanth

no wonder you completed it , you designed part of it!

TMR

Quote from: khisanth on 22:39, 04 October 11
no wonder you completed it , you designed part of it!

That doesn't really make a difference in this situation (in part because i didn't design the background layouts) because other players have been and indeed are clearing Edge Grinder on a single life as well; they're doing so by putting time into learning the patterns and knowing when to stand or hide. Those not as well versed with shoot 'em ups might prefer to use autofire but most of the beta testers for the C64 version (most of who aren't hardcore shoot 'em up fans) felt that to be "cheating" and didn't.