News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

NoRecess - HxC Floppy Emulator Manager V3 released

Started by NewsBot, 21:46, 24 August 13

Previous topic - Next topic

NewsBot

HxC Floppy Emulator Manager V3 released
24 August 2013, 10:11 pm

HxC Floppy Emulator Manager V3 in action

This third major version is a complete rewrite of the original software.

It features a new user interface (thanks Ced !), better support of the HxC Floppy Emulator device (detection, release..) and some critical bug-fixes. Finally, it now allows proper exit to BASIC (Amstrad CPC's default shell). The software remains available as a ROM.

For infos, screenshots and download-link, please click here. Thanks to everyone having contributed to test this new version! :-)

Source: NoRecess / Condense - News

This content has been fetched from a third-party page feed.

Gryzor

Nich

Personally, I don't particularly like the look of the new interface. The logo at the top of the screen looks rather messy, and I find the multi-coloured text hard to read. Despite this, I still think this program is invaluable for anyone who uses an HxC with their CPC. At least the previous version of the software is still available for those who prefer it!

Gryzor

I can see how it may be a matter of individual taste; personally I enjoy working with it very much!

mr_lou

So... way behind, I finally took a look at this version just now.

Apparently it won't list files unless they have the ".hfe" last name.
I have deleted that part of the filename for all my files, because I don't like it, and see no point in having it.
Meaning, I can't use v3.0 at all.

I would have understood and accepted the decision, if the ".hfe" part wasn't shown, but it's still shown for files that has the ".hfe" last name.

So looks like I'll have to stick with the version I was using.

Token

I use also the previous version because it's easier to read. But I would like it now still simple but with blue background and yellow chars. Maybe it can be done.

Neil79

Quote from: Token on 19:58, 18 July 14
I use also the previous version because it's easier to read. But I would like it now still simple but with blue background and yellow chars. Maybe it can be done.

Previous version is easier to read
Previous version seems to be quicker
Previous version doesn't cause me problems ( New version I have to go back to the through slots to get it to show up the game I've just saved )
Previous version deletes the slots with the DEL command, can't get it to do that with the new one.

I'll stay with 2.5, it just works and looks good
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

Gryzor

Quote from: mr_lou on 19:42, 18 July 14
So... way behind, I finally took a look at this version just now.

Apparently it won't list files unless they have the ".hfe" last name.
I have deleted that part of the filename for all my files, because I don't like it, and see no point in having it.

I would have understood and accepted the decision, if the ".hfe" part wasn't shown, but it's still shown for files that has the ".hfe" last name.

So looks like I'll have to stick with the version I was using.
So...you don't like file extensions? [emoji2] and you expect a program to show all files, despite the obvious implications for speed?

Dunno,I like v3. Yes, it's not as readable but I have no problem reading the screen, and I love the demo-ish look...

Oh, and I never had issues with things not showing up...

TotO

Quote from: mr_lou on 19:42, 18 July 14Apparently it won't list files unless they have the ".hfe" last name.
As the extension is considered as "metadata" since computers exist, you done wrong.
The proof: Since you have removed it, the Manager can't find the files.  :laugh:
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Neil79

Thankfully, apart from a GUI change, you can use any version that works for you  ;D
The latest in Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

mr_lou

Quote from: TotO on 20:11, 18 July 14
As the extension is considered as "metadata" since computers exist, you done wrong.
The proof: Since you have removed it, the Manager can't find the files.  :laugh:

Well it finds them fine in earlier versions.
And I wouldn't mind it, if only the files were listed without the .hfe extension.

mr_lou

Quote from: Gryzor on 20:04, 18 July 14
So...you don't like file extensions? [emoji2] and you expect a program to show all files, despite the obvious implications for speed?

That is correct. Just like I have used the previous version(s).

I've renamed all my files to have the correct name of the games - and without the "metadata". That's how I prefer to see the games-list.
Who needs "metadata" in the name?

"Soul of a robot.hfe" just looks silly.
"Soul of a robot" looks much better and cleaner.

TotO

Quote from: mr_lou on 20:55, 18 July 14Well it finds them fine in earlier versions.
Because the earlier versions listed all files. (readable or not by the HxC)

Quote from: mr_lou on 20:55, 18 July 14And I wouldn't mind it, if only the files were listed without the .hfe extension.
Sure, it had been nice to hide them as the extension is known.
I have asked that before its release but it was not implemented. (that don't avoid me to use it)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

mr_lou

Quote from: TotO on 21:29, 18 July 14
Sure, it had been nice to hide them as the extension is known.
I have asked that before its release but it was not implemented. (that don't avoid me to use it)

Well I'm not renaming all my files to add the extension.

No big deal either. I'm fine with an earlier version. (But if anyone made a hack, I wouldn't mind it.  ;) )

I agree with the difficult-to-read opinion too, but mostly on an LCD screen. I figure it'll be fine on a CRT, and since I'm mostly using a CRT for my CPC sessions, I figure it would look cool.

TFM

Hi!

I used V3 (in the ROM) and it does not work with a CPC Plus. Is this a common problem?
Only see the sign on screen, then a cursor appears.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TotO

I doubt, as Norecess works on a PLUS. (phortem...)

CraigsBar

Quote from: TFM on 17:53, 30 July 14
Hi!

I used V3 (in the ROM) and it does not work with a CPC Plus. Is this a common problem?
Only see the sign on screen, then a cursor appears.
works fine in mine too. Try reflashing or reprogramming the eprom.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

TFM

Yes, and maybe I also try another firmware version (did use the newest, very newest).

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus