News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Genesis8 - New games on the unofficial 3D Construction Kit website

Started by NewsBot, 16:00, 25 July 13

Previous topic - Next topic

NewsBot

This content has been fetched from a third-party page feed.

McKlain

arnoldemu

There are game files there, I wonder if it's possible to load them in, save them out.
Then we can have those Spectrum games too...
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

McKlain

The game files are "compiled" as long as I remember. I have the tape version of 3D Kit and it saves the working data in a single block format. On disk you needed to format a disk in a special format to use it to save your work (I think that you only had 10 save slots per side). When you finished working on your game you had to export it to tape or disc using the compiler, and the system created the loader and the game data files for you.

My game was originally on tape, and I had to transfer the files to the computer, put them inside a disk image and swap the tape loader for the disc one.

Gryzor

flanimal76

Quote from: arnoldemu on 08:57, 26 July 13
There are game files there, I wonder if it's possible to load them in, save them out.
Then we can have those Spectrum games too...

Hi guys, I can confirm that the data files are compatible across all 3 8-bit systems. The process was pioneered here:
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35273&highlight=construction+kit

TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

McKlain

Gryzor

McKlain

Gryzor

Ay! Thanks lots :)

First impressions:
-mouse doesn't work.
-there's all my lazorz gone in seconds.
-should probably read the instructions

:D

Will play some tomorrow :)

MiguelSky

Quote from: flanimal76 on 23:49, 02 August 13
Hi guys, I can confirm that the data files are compatible across all 3 8-bit systems. The process was pioneered here:
http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35273&highlight=construction+kit
Hummm, I tried to use these datafiles in CPC without success... Did anyone more try?

MiguelSky

Sorry the double post, but I know why I can't. The program use special format for their disc and cassete files.

MiguelSky

And sorry the triple post :D I finally got it !!

EDIT: Updated file !!

Flanimal

Quote from: MiguelSky on 03:17, 25 January 14
And sorry the triple post :D I finally got it !!

Hi MiguelSky, sorry I hadn't gotten around to replying to your PM last week regarding transferring the data files. Though it's unlikely that I would have been able to help as I am unfamiliar with the special disk formatting that the Spectrum and Amstrad 3D Construction Kits use for data files.

So you have succeeded in transferring the A Chance In Hell data into the Amstrad 3D Construction Kit? Fantastic! I haven't fired up an Amstrad emulator yet to try it out but I am soon about to.

Just to reiterate, A Chance in Hell is public domain (with no copyright) so feel free to modify it and do with it in any way that you wish.  8)

I'm so impressed that you retained the background picture - something that I was unable to do with the Spectrum port.

Thanks so much for porting A Chance in Hell to the Amstrad. If you have any questions about the game and its internals then I would be happy to respond. So come on, spill the beans, how did you transfer it? I'm guessing you saved the spectrum data to a tape file, transferred this into an Amstrad tape, maybe performed some byte manipulation magic on it, and then loaded it up into the Amstrad 3D Construction Kit?

UPDATE:
I've now played it on WINAPE and it works brilliantly, I'm loving the colours, and think they are an improvement on the original C64 version. I played through the Amstrad version and can confirm that it is bugless, except for a few text colour issues:
* text when accessing the computer is not visiable as it must be printing black on black. The text needs to be a colour other than black.
* text when shooting the light bulb in the hut is also not visible because it is black on black.
* Some of the end of game text is not visible as they are red on red.

As a fun project, how about changing the Freescape C64 computer to an Amstrad?  :P

Great, great work.

MiguelSky

Thanks, Flanimal :) I didn't try the game till the end because I haven't played the entire game yet, even C64 versión. It's nice you like the colors, I tried to apply the most similar to C64 ones from Amstrad pallette.

The trick is: .... paste the Datafile in memory !!! Then, save it to disk (or tape) :D

TFM

Quote from: Flanimal on 16:54, 26 January 14
* text when accessing the computer is not visiable as it must be printing black on black. The text needs to

That was where I gave in. Dunno what to do in this game. Hopefully there will be a working update some day.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Flanimal

Quote from: TFM on 21:05, 27 January 14

That was where I gave in. Dunno what to do in this game. Hopefully there will be a working update some day.

Hi TFM,  thanks for playing A Chance In Hell.
Until there's a fix for the computer text colour,  here's how to do the computer blind:
1. shoot the floppy disk off the church roof. It falls down to the floor.
2. find the floppy disk on the floor at the foot of the church.  Shoot it to pick it up.
3. Go to the room with the computer.
4. shoot the disk drive to insert the disk
5. shoot the computer to access the terminal
6. The text "exit?  y/n"  is output black on black,  so you cant see it.  Hold down 'n'  for about 1 second to continue.
7. The text "please wait" is output black on black,  so you cant see it.  Wait about 6 seconds.
8.  the text "shutdown security? y/n"  is output black on black,  so you cant see it. Hold down 'y'  for about 1 second to deactivate. This prevents you from being shot later on in the game.
9. The text "please wait" is output black on black,  so you cant see it.  Wait about 6 seconds.
10. The text "exit?  y/n"  is output black on black,  so you cant see it. Hold down 'y'  for about 1 second  to exit the terminal and return to the room.

Now a spoiler alert,  the following text is the walkthrough solution for A Chance In Hell:

Enter the church and shoot the book to pick up the bible. Climb the church stairs to find yourself on the church steeple. From this vantage point, adjust your viewpoint to locate the floppy disk lying on the church roof, and shoot it to shoot it down. The disk falls down to the ground of the graveyard.
Exit the church to locate the disk, and shoot it to pick it up. Shoot the tallest grave to knock it over. (You will use this route later on).
Now cross the road, avoiding the traffic if possible. Enter the house and locate the C64 computer. Shoot the disk drive to insert the disk. Choose not to quit, and select 'y' to deactivate the computer security system. (This will allow you to negotiate a room later on in the game.) Quit the computer session, and exit the house.
Now locate the flag behind the house. If you look down near the flag, you will see that you are actually at the top of a cliff edge!  Walk past the flag to climb down the cliff. (It is possible to climb back up the cliff by walking into or shooting the arrow at the base of the cliff).
At the base of the cliff, use the path above the water to access the hut. In the hut look down and shoot the hatch to open it. (Don't shoot the lightbulb for obvious reasons.) Walk over the hole to drop into the underground tunnels.
Negotiate the underground tunnels to enter a room with a purple barrier. Go straight through the door straight ahead. In the next room go through the door on your left, and shoot the box on the table to pick up the scuba kit.  Exit the room and go up the steps to find yourself back in the graveyard.
Retrace your steps across the road, past the house and flag, down the cliff to the water. Walk into the water to dive in using the scuba kit.
Underwater, swim to the boat and swim through the boat door. Swim around the boat room to locate the table. Shoot the key on the top of the table to pick it up. Exit the boat, and swim up or press 'r' for 'rise' to exit the water.
Re-enter the hut and retrace your steps through the underground tunnels. Climb on top of the purple barrier, and then up the steps to go through the door at the end of the purple barrier.
This is the security room (hopefully the computer security system is deactivated, achieved earlier when accessing the C64 computer.) Negotiate your way past the red barrier to the door in the far right corner.
In the next room, shoot the demon continuously. It takes about twenty shots to kill it. With the demon dead, shoot the door at the far corner to unlock it with the key.
Go through the door. Approach the hole in the ground ahead. Looking down will reveal to you that it is a shaft, accessing far down underground. Step over the shaft to fall down it. This leads you to the game complete message, explaining that you have found and defeated the devil in Hell, and have rescued the village population from his clutches. Well done!

Press Esc to restart the game.
Tip: Entering the church at any time fully restores your strength

Flanimal

Quote from: MiguelSky on 02:18, 27 January 14
Thanks, Flanimal :) I didn't try the game till the end because I haven't played the entire game yet, even C64 versión. It's nice you like the colors, I tried to apply the most similar to C64 ones from Amstrad pallette.

The trick is: .... paste the Datafile in memory !!! Then, save it to disk (or tape) :D

Cool.  Oh,  I just thought of an easy fix for area 2. Area 2 could be fixrd by simply changing the bsckground colour to say,  green,  and then you will be able to see the black text,  just like on a green monochrome monitor.

Sorry for the double post ???

Gryzor

These games really need to be played in turbo mode under Winape :)

MiguelSky

Well, in "A Chance in Hell" the first location is a bit slow due cars running, the other romos work better. Anyway, if you use CTRL+Direction key the steps are bigger and you get a fast movement ;)

Flanimal

I must admit I tend to play these games in turbo mode these days.  In WinApe I also set it to 'display every'  4 frames which allows the emulation to run faster with less cpu.

But the ctrl+direction key tip is a great tip.

Gryzor

Yes indeed, didn't know that! Also, I was impressed and surprised by the cars zooming through, in this kind of games you're not used to a dynamic environment!

MiguelSky

Ok, final version of A Chance in Hell thanks to the help of flanimal :) You can download from the old message Genesis8 - New games on the unofficial 3D Construction Kit website