News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Genesis8 - Remake of Slap Fight (Alcon) by Abalore W.I.P.

Started by NewsBot, 16:00, 20 October 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Whoa, seriously great job with the backgrounds... How many K is all that? I wonder...

abalore

The background takes 10 ROM sockets, that is 160 KB

Gryzor

TotO

"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

robcfg

VincentGR

Gryzor

TotO

Not as old as the CPC! ;) (Arcade = 1986 / Mega Drive = 1993)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Shaun M. Neary

I'm looking forward to the finished product. But can we please have the final name of the game as Slap Fight?
I'm fairly certain most of us aren't Japanese.  ;D

In all seriousness, the original was a mess. Small sprites and invisible flickery bullets. This has so much promise. =D
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

TotO

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 00:16, 21 January 20I'm looking forward to the finished product. But can we please have the final name of the game as Slap Fight? [...] In all seriousness, the original was a mess.
Next, peoples will rename it "Slap Flight 128K", "Slap Fight Reloaded", "Slap Fight Remake", "Slap Fight 2020" to be not confused. :-\

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: TotO on 10:11, 21 January 20
Next, peoples will rename it "Slap Flight 128K", "Slap Fight Reloaded", "Slap Fight Remake", "Slap Fight 2020" to be not confused. :-\

Just call it "Slap Fight: The original original!"
It's not so short, but it's sweet and to the point.  :laugh:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

cpcitor

Quote from: GUNHED on 14:31, 03 April 19
Today everybody has an X-MEM or RAM expansion anyway.  :)

Quote from: GUNHED on 17:29, 03 April 19
Get one! Its worth every penny dozen times!  :) :) :)

Even if I had one, I would target the original CPC anyway in my productions.  Portability to the original thing is sacred.  Else what's the point?  You might as well write SDL code for a modern machine. ;-)
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

TotO

Quote from: cpcitor on 19:12, 21 February 20
Portability to the original thing is sacred.  Else what's the point?  You might as well write SDL code for a modern machine. ;-)
The CPC originally works with RAM and ROM expansions since the 80's and change nothing into the code. Your remark came form the 90's developers that missunderstand what is a CPC. Your comparaison about the SDL for modern machine is ... "à la rue". :)

ComSoft6128

There were various memory expansions for the CPC but did they sell in enough numbers for the games companies to use them in many (any?) games - don't think so.

TotO

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 19:51, 21 February 20
There were various memory expansions for the CPC but did they sell in enough numbers for the games companies to use them in many (any?) games - don't think so.
In 80's the CPC problem was more to do 128K dedicated games instead of 64K speccy port, as 464/664 users was able to buy a 64K RAM expansions. About 256K expansions, owners used them for utilities like Discology... Today, hundreds of CPC (and emulators) users have acces to a 512K ROM/RAM expansions.

cpcitor

Quote from: TotO on 19:36, 21 February 20
The CPC originally works with RAM and ROM expansions since the 80's and change nothing into the code. Your remark came form the 90's developers that missunderstand what is a CPC. Your comparaison about the SDL for modern machine is ... "à la rue". :)

Then you misunderstood my point. It's not about whether expansion RAMs change the code. Amstrad did a very nice design about expansions RAMs.

The point is: when I write a prod for a CPC, my aim is to make something that would have worked in any CPC of any neighbour/friend I had when I was 10.

So, my prods can work off a tape cassette, a disk drive, for a 464, a 664, a 6128, any CRTC version, etc. I don't own any fancy new interface. A jack-to-6128 or jack-to-cassette adapters allow to load to a CPC surprisingly quickly. More enjoyable that 3"1/2 disks actually, less manual steps.

In this situation, my inner child (yes, he's the one that asked me to go here) then says "woaoh, what you do is great"!  He does not care about current emulators.  These emulators are often... "SDL code for a modern machine".

The fact is: if you allow modern parts, even obviously available to anyone now, it's a slippery slope to fuzzy limits.

About 15 years ago I have seen a video about a modified CPC that showed long parts of "The Matrix" as sluggish full-screen video without sound off an IDE drive. It was a demo for the IDE drive interface. I and my inner child were unimpressed. Sure, it could do things that my CPC464 could not. But it's not the computer I had and remains in my heart forever.

I'm probably not the only one to think that way. You might have different goals and motivation and that's okay.

Is my point clearer? Also, I would not call "à la rue" (or worse ;-) any opinion before being sure I understood what the other person meant.
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made in 2013 the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC, later forked into CPCTelera.

TotO

I don't misunderstand your sentence. It is really clear and no interpretation can be done.

I agree to program for stock systems, at less because I'm really respectful about the CPC demo-scene. Using RAM/ROM expansions to increase the software capabilities is legitimate since the 80's and definitively not as well as writing SDL code for a modern machine.

GUNHED

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 19:51, 21 February 20
Few games for 128 KB, right. Fewer, very few for more than 128 KB RAM, but yes the did exist. From memory Black Land (1995) was one.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

roudoudou

manufacturing costs are not expensive anymore, even for MANY roms on board. designing a cartridge game for CPC (not talking about the Plus) is easy and will satisfy people who like physical releases.
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

reidrac

I always have the same feeling with this recurring topic: where are all those games the "CPC + expansions" advocates are making?

Personally I don't even bother with stock 128K, not only because I don't have a 6128 at home, but also because it would take me few times longer to finish a game (as one man team).

I'm with @cpcitor on this one; even if eventually there won't be more 3" disks (and probably tape will have a similar fate I guess), for me stock CPC (and specifically 64K) is the way to go. Releasing games in cartridge sounds cool; why are no people doing it?

There's an Amstrad user group in Spain that is promoting a cart solution and I totally support them; would I make a game *specifically* for this format? Probably not; I can't do more!

Anyway, this project looks amazing and I'm looking forward to see the finished product!
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

TotO

Quote from: reidrac on 19:43, 22 February 20
I always have the same feeling with this recurring topic: where are all those games the "CPC + expansions" advocates are making?
The same with recurring peoples speaking about 64K only on expanded systems topic.

reidrac

Quote from: TotO on 20:01, 22 February 20
The same with recurring peoples speaking about 64K games on expanded systems topic.

I do release games for 64K.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

roudoudou

Quote from: reidrac on 19:43, 22 February 20
This topic is about one of those games  ;D
If the racing game of BG is released, i guess it will use the same hardware (a programmable ROM-card)
The difficulty is to target a kind of universal hardware that interests "everyone"
max ROM + dual-AY seems to be very cool for me

My pronouns are RASM and ACE

robcfg

From my perspective, everyone should code for whatever they want and I would encourage people to not bug around the subject.

If anyone wants a game for a 4MB ram expanded ram, just shut your mouth and do it.

That said, I'd like to see more games take advantage of 128KB+ of ram and/or Plus enhancements.

But there's no point in trying to enhance a game designed for 64KB just for the sake of it, nor try to make Orion Prime run on a 64KB machine and cassette.

TotO