News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Genesis8 - Remake of Slap Fight (Alcon) by Abalore W.I.P.

Started by NewsBot, 16:00, 20 October 16

Previous topic - Next topic

robcfg

I just cut out the extra bytes of that rom so I could upload it to the M4 and seems to be working fine.

Now let's see if I can progress in the game  :D

abalore

Quote from: robcfg on 16:30, 17 May 20
I just cut out the extra bytes of that rom so I could upload it to the M4 and seems to be working fine.

Now let's see if I can progress in the game  :D
Nice!! you can post the modified file here for someone else having the same issue

robcfg

With pleasure!

Btw, I managed to reach the first big tank as in @XeNoMoRPH 's video  8)

roudoudou

tried with my 464 + M4
the spaceship seems to be very slow (keyboard)
and the whole thing resets after a few weconds
the title menu is fine  ;D

EDIT: ok, that was the wrong ROM, i get the one from Rob and it's fine (spaceshi still slow BTW)

My pronouns are RASM and ACE

robcfg

By the way, where does the demo end?

Does your ship blow up or was I unlucky enough to hit a random bullet? :D

abalore

Quote from: robcfg on 18:01, 17 May 20
By the way, where does the demo end?

Does your ship blow up or was I unlucky enough to hit a random bullet? :D
Yes, spaceship is slow until you get your first star and activate the speed power up

abalore

Quote from: abalore on 18:05, 17 May 20
Yes, spaceship is slow until you get your first star and activate the speed power up
If you passed the boss, congratulations, that's the end of the test. Please try to get all the weapons and test them.

Duke

Quote from: abalore on 16:11, 17 May 20
But the best, in my opinion, is to ask Duke for the 2.0.6b1 firmware and install using the installer
You guys can use v2.0.6b3 from here:
https://www.spinpoint.org/cpc/M4FIRM_v206b3.zip

Just tested and it works alright. Can't remember on top of my head what other changes I made.

Looks great @abalore !

GUNHED

Quote from: abalore on 11:33, 17 May 20
This beta version has all the game features excepting in-game music (it requires the 6 audio channel game cartridge), and it go back to the main menu after the first boss.

Is is by chance compatible to the PlayCity card from Tot0?

As far as I see - fantastic game!!! Very cool!!!  :) :) :)

@abalore : If there is a preorder list for this great cartridge game, please put me on that list.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Mr. DVG

I have tried installing SLAP FIGHT on the M4.

He installed some files (for the change of the disks I had gathered all the files in a folder, because the swap is not physically possible to do it on M4) and now nothing works anymore! The M4 sees it, but the SD card is no longer recognized by the M4 device! I don't know what log file has changed ... I have an old backup now I try to restore it with that, but if it doesn't work I don't know what to do anymore!  :(

GUNHED

Did you overwrite the M4 ROM?
Did you update the firmware?

You can try to delete the ROMslots on the M4 SD card.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Mr. DVG

Quote from: GUNHED on 19:15, 17 May 20
Did you overwrite the M4 ROM?
Did you update the firmware?

You can try to delete the ROMslots on the M4 SD card.
Yes, yes! I also restored all the files of an old (working) backup but the SD is no longer recognized by the M4 ... a mystery!  ???

The files that I have installed are those present in the two disks that I have loaded below! (renamed in dsk)

abalore

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 19:32, 17 May 20
Yes, yes! I also restored all the files of an old (working) backup but the SD is no longer recognized by the M4 ... a mystery!  ???

The files that I have installed are those present in the two disks that I have loaded below! (renamed in dsk)
Probably you have to flash the M4, did you try putting the files posted previously in this thread by Duke in the SD root folder?

abalore

Quote from: GUNHED on 18:29, 17 May 20
Is is by chance compatible to the PlayCity card from Tot0?

As far as I see - fantastic game!!! Very cool!!!  :) :) :)

@abalore : If there is a preorder list for this great cartridge game, please put me on that list.
The cartridge hardware is done by TotO too, I think it's compatible with the PlayCity, but it depends on the AY chips using the same clock frequency, maybe TotO can sheed more light over this.

Mr. DVG

Quote from: abalore on 19:45, 17 May 20
Probably you have to flash the M4, did you try putting the files posted previously in this thread by Duke in the SD root folder?
I temporarily solved the problem by reformatting the SD card and restoring the original files (in practice it was as if I were turning on the M4 for the first time) and copying all the old backup. Now everything works, but I don't try to reinstall the SLAP FIGHT files, since there is the risk of creating new chaos! Unfortunately I cannot take advantage of the web interface for installing files. If there is a safe way to install the files "manually" then I will do this test! Now I'm afraid of doing more damage! :-\

abalore

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 20:44, 17 May 20
I temporarily solved the problem by reformatting the SD card and restoring the original files (in practice it was as if I were turning on the M4 for the first time) and copying all the old backup. Now everything works, but I don't try to reinstall the SLAP FIGHT files, since there is the risk of creating new chaos! Unfortunately I cannot take advantage of the web interface for installing files. If there is a safe way to install the files "manually" then I will do this test! Now I'm afraid of doing more damage! :-\
Nothing in the installer touches the file system. It is a pure BASIC program that make calls to the |ROMUP command of the M4

Mr. DVG

Quote from: abalore on 21:27, 17 May 20
Nothing in the installer touches the file system. It is a pure BASIC program that make calls to the |ROMUP command of the M4
I honestly don't know what happened, probably my manual procedure is not correct to install the program. I'm not very familiar with these things and I will have messed up involuntarily! I'm sorry I can't try it! It looks really beautiful! :(

abalore

I did a bundle with all the required to install the game manually in the M4, the new firmware provided by Duke and the modified ROM 11 along with all others.

Maniac

This looks awesome and so smooth! Installed on my M4 board no issue (I transferred all the files to the SD card and installed from there for quickness!)

The only thing I've noticed on my 6128 plus is the top 2-3 screen lines tend to flicker/flash as the screen scrolls. I'm guessing this is the way the screen is being drawn and a timing issue that is slightly different on the Plus range? Happy to help with testing this is wanted.

Will try and test with my X-MEM as well when I get a chance.

abalore

Quote from: Maniac on 22:40, 17 May 20
This looks awesome and so smooth! Installed on my M4 board no issue (I transferred all the files to the SD card and installed from there for quickness!)

The only thing I've noticed on my 6128 plus is the top 2-3 screen lines tend to flicker/flash as the screen scrolls. I'm guessing this is the way the screen is being drawn and a timing issue that is slightly different on the Plus range? Happy to help with testing this is wanted.

Will try and test with my X-MEM as well when I get a chance but I need to reset the ROMs uploaded to it as it won't boot at the moment.
Thanks so much, any feedback is appreciated. I'll take a look at the plus scroll issue.

Mr. DVG

Quote from: abalore on 21:59, 17 May 20
I did a bundle with all the required to install the game manually in the M4, the new firmware provided by Duke and the modified ROM 11 along with all others.
Then I start again that I probably don't understand how to do it. I try to explain. The new firmware is installed (M4 Firmware version 2.0.6). Should ROM files be copied to the root of the M4 with the whole folder? From that point then what should I do to install them? There is no executable file inside the folder located in the .zip file! Sorry for my poor technical and intellectual skills.

abalore

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 23:19, 17 May 20
Then I start again that I probably don't understand how to do it. I try to explain. The new firmware is installed (M4 Firmware version 2.0.6). Should ROM files be copied to the root of the M4 with the whole folder? From that point then what should I do to install them? There is no executable file inside the folder located in the .zip file! Sorry for my poor technical and intellectual skills.
Yes, there is no executable because this bundle is for "manual" install. That means it must be installed from the web interface instead from the CPC. The files contained in this bundle cannot be used with the installer because of a different naming convention.

Maniac

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 23:19, 17 May 20
The best thing to do is to use the FLASH.BAS file and the ROM files from the first ZIP file abalore posted which contains the DSK images. Otherwise the files in the latest ZIP file can be used via the M4 web page where you need to upload the ROMs to the right slots on the ROMS page of the web interface. The ROM numbers are in Hexadecimal so slot 11 in the interface is actually file 0B. The RSX ROM file can be uploaded to any slot between 1 and 10 on the ROMS web page. The only other option is to manually upload the files using the flash commands that the M4 ROM provides.

It isn't necessary in either case to copy the files to the root of the M4 SD card.

What I did was extract the contents of the DSK files to my M4 SD card in a folder called Alcon2020Beta using WinApe and its Edit Disk feature.

Mr. DVG

Quote from: Maniac on 23:31, 17 May 20
The best thing to do is to use the FLASH.BAS file and the ROM files from the first ZIP file abalore posted which contains the DSK images. Otherwise the files in the latest ZIP file can be used via the M4 web page where you need to upload the ROMs to the right slots on the ROMS page of the web interface. The ROM numbers are in Hexadecimal so slot 11 in the interface is actually file 0B. The RSX ROM file can be uploaded to any slot between 1 and 10 on the ROMS web page. The only other option is to manually upload the files using the flash commands that the M4 ROM provides.

It isn't necessary in either case to copy the files to the root of the M4 SD card.

What I did was extract the contents of the DSK files to my M4 SD card in a folder called Alcon2020Beta using WinApe and its Edit Disk feature.
What I would like to try (and I can't) is to install the files manually, without using the web interface. Initially I copied all the files of the two DSKs into a folder which I then copied inside the M4. From there I started the flash.bas file which actually installs all the files (at this tip where I don't know). After finishing the procedure everything freezes and when I go to reset the M4 nothing works anymore and I have to reinstall the firmware by deleting the old files. If you tell me that the installation can only be done from the web interface then I forget! ::)

abalore

Quote from: Mr. DVG on 23:43, 17 May 20
What I would like to try (and I can't) is to install the files manually, without using the web interface. Initially I copied all the files of the two DSKs into a folder which I then copied inside the M4. From there I started the flash.bas file which actually installs all the files (at this tip where I don't know). After finishing the procedure everything freezes and when I go to reset the M4 nothing works anymore and I have to reinstall the firmware by deleting the old files. If you tell me that the installation can only be done from the web interface then I forget! ::)
Do you have by chance the M4 Lower-rom enabled? You positively need to have it disabled. If not, the installer will overwrite the lower rom slot (31 for instance) and will cause the system crash. Also "Use only 16 slots" must be unchecked.