News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Kickstarter campaign launched for new Amstrad CPC fanzine

Started by Skunkfish, 19:55, 31 July 16

Previous topic - Next topic

For future issues of Colour Personal Computing, would you rather have...

A black & white fanzine for £3
2 (16.7%)
A colour fanzine for £4
10 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: 17:18, 26 February 17

||C|-|E||

I still did not receive mine... Royal Mail people must be reading it instead of me  :( :picard:

Skunkfish

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 11:30, 27 January 17
I still did not receive mine... Royal Mail people must be reading it instead of me  :( :picard:

Drop me a PM with your address, I'll get another copy in the post to you tomorrow!
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

||C|-|E||

jomicamp

Hi James,

I will like to pre-order number 2. Is there any possibility to get it in full color? I don´t mind to pay a little bit more.

Congrats for the good job in number 1

Skunkfish

Hi jomicamp,

Yes, I'm seriously considering printing further issues in colour. I've add a poll to this topic to see if it would be a popular move.

I think I've found a print company who can do it for a reasonable price, although it depends very much on the quantity I have printed.

Also, their requirements in terms of file-format are different to the previous company, so I will have to see if I can meet those. I may have to print a small batch of Issue 1 in colour, to check the quality - although small batches are not cheap (ordering a single copy to check, would cost almost £30!)
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

mr_lou

Quote from: Skunkfish on 00:00, 25 January 17
Also, the lateness itself caused a lot of issues as some parts I'd written (like the news) was hopelessly outdated and had to be rewritten.

What is an obvious space-filler (the CPC Retro Dev screens on Page 30-31) was originally a feature on upcoming games, but the problem was that most of them had been released by the time the rest of the fanzine was ready for print! This time I'm focusing on getting the main features written first, and then more time-specific things like news and previews will get done at the end.

I think it will be extremely difficult to have a news section in any kind of magazine nowadays. For news stories we have the Internet. And news stories on the Internet will disappear.
A magazine (be it a diskmag or paper version) is better suitable to contain "stories that won't get old". Like, a review of an existing game, won't get old. Not in a retro-computer community anyway. The magazines will thus be interesting many years later, while Internet news are only interesting for a few days.
Instead of "Upcoming releases", a magazine could have "What's stirring", or "Current activity", thus referring only to what's going on at the moment, which can cover both upcoming releases and recently released stuff.
For future reading (10 years later) such a section serves as a historical reminder.
(Meanwhile, the Internet version has been long gone due to various hosting issues, server-updates that kills the site, disagreements between owners etc etc).

Quote from: Skunkfish on 00:00, 25 January 17
Regarding the competition (the one on page 34, not Eight-Bit magazine), I'll have a think about how I can do it differently next time!

Why can't people figure out to take a picture of the competition with their phone, and then solve it on their computer? Or is it really difficult to make a copy at work? Come on guys.

Morri

Received my issue all the way on the other side of the world in New Zealand.  8)
Great read, I love your sense of humour and your writing style.
Also thanks for playing and reviewing Coolbox and Let's GO!

I am going to subscribe to your 4 issue offer as soon as I can get my PayPal account to work.  :picard2:
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

Skunkfish

Quote from: Morri on 08:27, 30 January 17
Also thanks for playing and reviewing Coolbox and Let's GO!

Thanks for making them, I really enjoyed playing them!

||C|-|E||

I finally received and read my copy!!  :D I really enjoyed the magazine, how well is written and your sense of humor! Then, there is that super nice review of our adventure, even with an interview. What can I say...  :-[

Looking forward to the next issue!  :D

Skunkfish

I'm pretty much decided now that starting from issue 2, the fanzine will be in full colour.

This means two things...

1. I'm going to have to put up the price up to £4.00 per issue to cover this. All orders (for both single issues and subscriptions) placed at the lower price will be honoured.

2. I'm probably going to have to go back to Kickstarter for the second issue, to try and make sure I can hit the minimum order quantity to make colour printing worthwhile. The price will be the same as via the on-line store.

Although not run for profit, the instructions from my wife are clear: 'Don't make a loss'

seanb

Wish I hadn't held off subscribing to see if you would make it colour now  :D
Looking forward to it so as soon as you have that kickstarter up and running I'll be supporting it.
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

||C|-|E||

mr_lou

So I realize this is an old thread, and it's possible I should have created a new thread instead?

But I just noticed the site isn't online anymore.
Has this fanzine died already?  :(

ComSoft6128

Hope not,

The first two issues were well worth reading.

mr_lou

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 16:53, 28 July 19
Hope not,

The first two issues were well worth reading.

Absolutely. I have been looking forward to future issues a lot.

ProfessorPike

mr_lou

Quote from: ProfessorPike on 09:05, 29 July 19
I guess he made a loss  ;D

This project was never about making money. Most CPC related projects aren't. It was a passion - like most CPC projects are.

ProfessorPike

Quote from: mr_lou on 09:31, 29 July 19
This project was never about making money. Most CPC related projects aren't. It was a passion - like most CPC projects are.

I get that, I was making a flippant comment about how (a few posts up) his wife's only instruction was to not make a loss.

Gryzor

tjohnson

Did people pay for a subscription or per magazine?

mr_lou

Quote from: tjohnson on 16:21, 30 July 19
Did people pay for a subscription or per magazine?

I think you could pay for one magazine, or get a discount if paying upfront for more, but I'm not 100% certain that was the case. I think I payed for multiple future issues though, but I can't remember for sure.

I suspect James might have run into some personal health issues. Would be nice to hear from him.

Gryzor

Skunkfish

Both... Some people have paid for 4 issue subscriptions (what I potentially should have termed a lifetime subscription).
If anyone wants a refund on their subscription then drop me a DM here.. I have your money set aside in a separate account.

I am still semi-actively working on the fanzine, it's just been 15 minutes here and there due to family and work commitments. When things calm down I'll be able to commit more time to it, since it's something that I really enjoy. I won't be selling subscriptions again to my inability to get issues out in a reasonable timescale!

ComSoft6128

Thanks Skunkfish,

Thoroughly enjoyed the first two issues and looking forward to a third - whether that is in a month, six months or a year.
I completely understand how "real life" can slow down a project.

Cheers,

Peter