News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Kickstarter campaign launched for new Amstrad CPC fanzine

Started by Skunkfish, 19:55, 31 July 16

Previous topic - Next topic

For future issues of Colour Personal Computing, would you rather have...

A black & white fanzine for £3
2 (16.7%)
A colour fanzine for £4
10 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: 17:18, 26 February 17

Skunkfish

Quote from: jomicamp on 21:12, 05 August 16
I consider it a great idea! I am in!!

My only concern is that my address was not required anywhere while registering to back the campaign ...

Do you consider to include a programming section?

Best regards

Thanks Jomicamp!

Kickstarter seems a bit odd in that way, apparently I need to send out a survey to collect the addresses once the campaign is successful!

I would consider a programming section but I'm useless and there's so many great resources on-line...

I'm open to offers though if anyone would like to contribute something for issue 2?
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Lazy Dude

I think I'd also add your comment, there's so many great people on-line.  ;D

BACKED!

moneys down, lets see how it goes........

pelrun

Quote from: Skunkfish on 22:43, 05 August 16
Kickstarter seems a bit odd in that way, apparently I need to send out a survey to collect the addresses once the campaign is successful!

There's often quite a long delay (sometimes years) between a KS campaign and the rewards being sent out, so it doesn't make sense to get addresses up front. Otherwise you have to deal with a flood of "OMG I've moved how do I update my address" requests.

Skunkfish

So, it looked like the campaign was fully funded last night (at 105% of the target) but it seems like one of the backers of the advertisement reward has backed out... I guess that's one of the pitfalls of Kickstarter!

Therefore, there is a space left again on this tier for anyone who wants to advertise their product or service in issue 1 of the fanzine (it can be anything (legal), although I'd love it of course if it was CPC related).

Ten quid will get you an A5 sized black & white advert and a copy of issue 1 of the fanzine. Please see Colour Personal Computing - The Amstrad CPC Fanzine by James Ford — for more details!
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

||C|-|E||

It is great to see that the project has been fully funded already!  :D

seanb

Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

reidrac

Suggestion for a future issue: comparative of the best CPC emulators.

I just discovered that CPCE for Win32 works beautifully in Linux with WINE; it has less options than WinAPE, but it is a good alternative. I had no idea!

So that's something I'd love to read in a future issue :)
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Skunkfish

Quote from: reidrac on 14:56, 13 August 16
Suggestion for a future issue: comparative of the best CPC emulators.

I just discovered that CPCE for Win32 works beautifully in Linux with WINE; it has less options than WinAPE, but it is a good alternative. I had no idea!

So that's something I'd love to read in a future issue :)

Great idea! I tend to use WinAPE out of habit but it would certainly be great to compare features side-by-side and push each one to the limit with some of the more challenging pieces of software  ;D

Maybe there could be different awards given out... e.g. best for games, best for sound, best for development, best for compatibility, best for ease of use etc.

EDIT: Reading my comment back I just thought 'Oh, and there should be a best in show' - yes, it's sounding like the CPC emulator equivalent of Crufts.

Skunkfish

The final 24 hours of the campaign are now approaching, thanks everyone for your support.

I can confirm that issue 1 will feature a full review of Doomsday Lost Echoes as well as the developer interview mentioned previously...

Zoe Robinson

Backed last night, when I realised I hadn't backed it before then. Good luck with it. :)

CPCOxygen

Quote from: Skunkfish on 15:44, 20 August 16
The final 24 hours of the campaign are now approaching, thanks everyone for your support.

I can confirm that issue 1 will feature a full review of Doomsday Lost Echoes as well as the developer interview mentioned previously...

We both seem to be reviewing the same games LOL  :picard2:
As you can see from the screenshot I'm not finished as I seem to be playing the game more than reviewing it.  ;D  Lets just tell the public they need to read both reviews for the full picture.  :P

8-bit Magazine Issue 2 (Amstrad, Commodore, Sinclair & more) by John Kavanagh

Eight Bit Magazine The Number One Magazine for the 8-Bits.

Retro Format New Games - Old Hardware.

||C|-|E||

I think that is actually great and exciting that both of you are reviewing the adventure!  :D Our scene is relatively small and it is quite normal for the same production to be reviewed in different magazines. Having complementary points of view is always very good and truly makes the scene better and much more alive  :)

Morri

I've backed both projects and I can't wait to read both reviews and each persons different opinions and perspectives.
Couldn't care less that there will be overlapping. The writing styles and layouts will set each project apart.
Keeping it Kiwi since 1977

CPCOxygen

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 03:29, 21 August 16
I think that is actually great and exciting that both of you are reviewing the adventure!  :D Our scene is relatively small and it is quite normal for the same production to be reviewed in different magazines. Having complementary points of view is always very good and truly makes the scene better and much more alive  :)

Yes, I agree totally. It reminds me of the good old days where you could read a game review on multiple magazines such as AA, ACU and C+VG :-)

||C|-|E||

Actually, it would be awesome to be able to "go back" to those days, with new periodical magazines and productions that are reviewed in all of them.  I am probably daydreaming, but it would be so great!  :D

reidrac

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 13:29, 21 August 16
Actually, it would be awesome to be able to "go back" to those days, with new periodical magazines and productions that are reviewed in all of them.  I am probably daydreaming, but it would be so great!  :D

I don't think we can go back to that volume, but if the scene keeps providing of games every year, I would say that there's enough interest for bi-monthly publications like the CPC fanzine.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

TotO

QuoteC64 / The cheap 8-bit computer that ended up as the world's number 1 best selling computer

When I read that, I can just laugh...  :-\
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

CPCOxygen

Quote from: TotO on 15:58, 21 August 16
When I read that, I can just laugh...  :-\

By US standards the C64 was very cheap in comparison to the Apple II and Atari 8-bits. I know in The UK there were cheaper Computers available. Eight Bit Magazine were referring to the reaction when the computer was released in the US, price and the amount of RAM it came with made it stood out. It was the best selling computer. That doesn't mean it's the best. That's a matter of opinion and what you are looking for in a computer. My favourite will always be the CPC.

reidrac

@Skunkfish Do you have a website for the fanzine?

It would be nice for different reasons; we can use it to refer to people in case they're interested in the fanzine, information about back numbers (even you could put a PDF file once the paper version runs out,I guess).

If you don't have resources to host the page, perhaps you could use a wiki page at cpcwiki.eu.

EDIT: oh, I see you have Colour Personal Computing - The Amstrad CPC Fanzine by James Ford — domain already... nice!

Skunkfish

I've quickly set-up a storefront at www.cpcfanzine.com to let people order the fanzine who missed the Kickstarter.

Not sure if I'll keep it as the cost is a little prohibitive but was the easiest option at the time...

It's taking a bit longer than I'd planned to get the fanzine finished off but I'm really close now, hopefully not too much longer for those waiting.

TFM

So, what do people out there think about the new CPC magazine? Was it worth buying? Any comments?
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

mr_lou

Quote from: TFM on 16:21, 29 September 16
So, what do people out there think about the new CPC magazine? Was it worth buying? Any comments?

Don't think anyone has received their copy yet, so it'll be slightly difficult giving any feedback at this point.  ;)

Lazy Dude

ukmarkh

Still haven't received my copy, have I been ripped off!

mr_lou