News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Memory Full: a book about the history of Amstrad CPC demoscene

Started by Hicks, 21:56, 24 March 23

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

I have just finished writing my book on the history of Amstrad CPC demoscene, which is only in French for the moment. An English translation could be done later if there are many requests.

I'm copying an English summary here, and I invite you to support the project by clicking on the link below, for those who speak French. Thanks!

When and how did demomaking appear on Amstrad CPC? Were demo coders more brilliant than game programmers? What did the famous meetings consist of? Why did it all fall apart in 1993?

In this first volume of Memory Full, Hicks traces the history of the Amstrad CPC demoscene from 1984 to 1997, and immerses us in the atmosphere of the time through the memories and testimonies of the CPCers active during that period.

Over 180 pages richly illustrated by Hwikaa, the book follows the evolution of the scene in a chronological way, looking at the role and importance of fanzines, meetings, swappers and associations, while offering accessible technical analysis to better measure the value of the different demos.

Pre-order your copy of Memory Full 1 on Ulule now!

https://fr.ulule.com/memory-full-une-histoire-de-la-demoscene-cpc-t1

Ast

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

Gryzor

Oh I'm definitely backing this!

However, regarding the English version... Take a look at the mess with the recent Spanish book, unless you have it on the schedule since the beginning, you're certainly going to lose many backers. Perhaps create a second campaign for the English translation? 

HAL6128

An English translations would be certainly interesting regarding those words of gryzor.
...proudly supported Schnapps Demo, Pentomino and NQ-Music-Disc with GFX

rexbeng

The Spanish 'yet another attempt at retro reviews' book example that Gryzor refers to was of no real interest to me as it had absolutely nothing new to say. This one, however, is indeed one of the things missing in the CPC scene. I will certainly back an English edition that I can read, but not one in French only.

TotO

The English version will be named "Memoria llena".
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

villain

My French is not good enough to read the entire book. So I would definitely find some euros anywhere for an English version.

Hicks

The English version is an interesting project, but it would take time to develop as a translator would have to be willing to do the work. It would be possible to do another campaign for this version later, and to start the translation only if the campaign is successful (if only few people are interested, not enough...).

Another obstacle could be the price, because of the rates charged by the French Post Office for rates abroad: 23.55€ for a letter between 500gr-1kg. So a book at about 40€.

So I would like to think about it, but only once the French version is produced and sent (because it doesn't depend on me alone). Anyway, I don't forget my non-French speaking friends, and I'll buy a beer at the Revision to BSC to console him ;) 

rexbeng

Hey, printing paper books is bad for the environment. How about making the English version a PDF, so those of us who'd rather pollute the planet by using rechargeable portable devices, can enjoy the book without having to pay the fee for using la post francaise. 

Gryzor

I can think of few more worthy reasons to destroy the environment... Give us dead trees! 

GUNHED

PDF? Always welcome!  :) That way I can translate into German too.  ;)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Interrupt

I would definitely be interested in an English version.

Interestingly, for my current personal project - an audio visual history (less testimony and research than this book) of the CPC demoscene - I am making the split at 1988 for the first part too - there really seems to be a shift around that point. It'll be in English if I ever get it finished - editing all the captured video (from emulators mostly) to the right sections to make it all flow is quite an effort. 

Interrupt

(By the way, my demo is listed on this CPC wiki as being in the 80s but it was mid nineties. I think I saw one scroll message that might have alluded to another scene member called Interrupt in the 80s?)

Optimus

I would definitely interested in the English version. Even as a PDF as Rex suggests.

I had a great blast reading books on Amiga/Atari demoscene, and I was always dreaming of an Amstrad CPC book of that kind. I thought nobody would write that one. Hope there is more interest, I would even pay the 40 euros for such if it's up, but let's see and wait.

Gryzor

Eh, I certainly hope it's not like the Atari one. Beautiful book, gorgeous printing and photographs, atrocious writing and layout... 

TotO

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:00, 27 March 23Eh, I certainly hope it's not like the Atari one. Beautiful book, gorgeous printing and photographs, atrocious writing and layout...
I's not the same authors who produced craps on Atari / Amiga who do this on CPC, but people who are competent in the field.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

luckpro

It looks like a very interesting book. Unfortunately I don't know how to read French, if you publish it in English (even if it's in pdf) I'll buy it.

Gryzor

Quote from: TotO on 12:46, 27 March 23
Quote from: Gryzor on 12:00, 27 March 23Eh, I certainly hope it's not like the Atari one. Beautiful book, gorgeous printing and photographs, atrocious writing and layout...
I's not the same authors who produced craps on Atari / Amiga who do this on CPC, but people who are competent in the field.
Yup I'm fully aware of the name of the guy responsible for the Atari crap... 

RufUsul

Gryzor

Ok, just ordered. It auto completed my address in Greek, hope the label is correctly printed 😂

roudoudou

Quote from: Gryzor on 15:18, 29 March 23Ok, just ordered. It auto completed my address in Greek, hope the label is correctly printed 😂
you can change delivery address anytime on Ulule (or mail hicks to avoid mistakes)
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

TotO

Titi

PRINT "Memory Full 1" !
Nous sommes heureux de vous annoncer que l'ouvrage vient tout juste d'être envoyé à l'imprimeur. Celui-ci annonce un délai de livraison d'environ 10 jours. Ce sera alors à notre tour d'investir le bureau de poste le plus proche pour expédier vos exemplaires.

L'ouvrage sera diffusé sous le label 3 Thumbs Publishing, créé pour l'occasion. D'autres publications pourraient ainsi voir le jour sous cette bannière.

Je ferai une petite présentation du livre à la Benediction Coding Party #3, organisée par Eliot / Benediction, du 27 au 30 octobre 2023 à Gavray sur Sienne (en Normandie). Il s'agit d'un rassemblement de passionnés de CPC, auquel vous êtes tous conviés, quelle que soit votre implication dans le domaine. Vous trouverez plus d'informations sur le site dédié à l'événement : http://bndcodingparty.memoryfull.net

On se retrouve donc dans une dizaine de jours, dès la réception des imposants colis contenant les 200 exemplaires imprimés !

Hicks et Hwikaa

Gryzor