NoRecess - "The Speaker" - an impressive text-to-speech program for the Amstrad CPC !

Started by NewsBot, 03:06, 01 November 11

Previous topic - Next topic

NewsBot

"The Speaker" - an impressive text-to-speech program for the Amstrad CPC !
1 November 2011, 4:31 am

When I was a kid, I typed lots of programs from Amstrad CPC-dedicated magazines. That was actually my introduction to the world of computing. Most of them were poorly designed, some of them were quite inspiring (especially the ones from Tom & Jerry).

But one of them was really ahead from its time : THE SPEAKER. It was a text-to-speech program, running without dedicated hardware, based on phonemes. After many searches over the net, I did not found any download link about it, excepted a reference to it through the great CPC POWER archive, that currently hosts the original listing from CPC Infos french magazine... and then I just told to myself : what a miss for the Amstrad CPC community to not be aware about this program !

So I decided to re-type it, and I was not disappointed at all by the great memory I had. This is probably one of the most impressive program ever published in an Amstrad CPC magazine. Try it, you will be amazed ! (download link is attached to this news).

THE_SPEAKER.ZIP
File Size:  458 kb
File Type:   zip
Download File  

Source: NoRecess {the Amstrad CPC website} - News

This content has been fetched from a third-party page feed.

Grim

AKA Speech by Superior Software. Uh-Oh! :)

Nich

Quote from: Grim on 03:56, 01 November 11
AKA Speech by Superior Software. Uh-Oh! :)
Indeed. I have examined the machine code used by both programs, and The Speaker uses exactly the same RSX system as Speech! - although most of the RSX names have been removed. Very disingenuous of the "author", Monsieur Grossetête... >:(

Gryzor

Hahaha! Years later a theft has been exposed... :D

Still nice prog...

TFM

So.... Does the stolen version has any kind of improvements?
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Nich

Quote from: TFM/FS on 16:39, 03 November 11
So.... Does the stolen version has any kind of improvements?

Not really. The only "improvement" that I can see is that you can type sentences directly, instead of having to use the |SAY RSX every time.

Gryzor

This could have been an improvement, but you can't use it in your programs...?